Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 973208 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #5265 on: February 02, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »

Well, she was silent to a normal sized person and she presumably came from behind.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »

There's still a difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it.

Also, simply from a game point of view, that would means your statpool is 40 points higher than it actually would be, because your mind stat is used as the dex stat as well, at no downsides

yes, no downsides. In this game, Mana regenerates insanely fast, and knowing Elf, using your Mind stat to replace your Dex stat probably costs so little, it will actually regen faster than it's being used up. Unless Mana does not regain during combat, which from my point of view, it absolutely shouldn't. Even without relevant stats, everybody has 150 Mana, and minor uses just cost 10 Mana. So it would regen just as fast as it's being used, and that is if you *only* post once per turn, without any extra posts for dialouge etc.

People like Will, with a huge relevant stat will find it very difficult to ever run out of Mana if it regenerates during combat.

and yeah, what Kyle said, it does come from behind, but that is besides the point. Theory =/= Practise
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: February 02, 2014, 05:39:19 pm »

rather than replacing Dex, I'd recommend that the ability is rolled on, and on success and mana use, can give a bonus to a dex roll right after it.

it represents that knowing exactly what to do is very helpfull, but still requires proper hand-eye coordination to actually pull it off
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: February 02, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »

There's still a difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it.
Again, the actually-doing-it part is a lot easier than you're making it out to be.

Also, simply from a game point of view, that would means your statpool is 40 points higher than it actually would be, because your mind stat is used as the dex stat as well, at no downsides
1. No, Will cannot use his Mind stat for everything dexterity can do. Only some things, and only with an explanation given if demanded.
2. I'd call not having any kind of superhuman ability past that (unless you count "Dispense Plot Information") a pretty big downside. When Will has to measure up to living flamethrowers, shy girls who can make anything, and lilliputians who can paralyze people with a poke, he needs something to be more than Mr. Exposition. (And so far, he hasn't been much more.)
3. Will has a Dexterity of 18. Even if his Mind applied to everything, he would only be 12 points ahead of the curve, not 40.

and yeah, what Kyle said, it does come from behind, but that is besides the point. Theory =/= Practise
Well, putting aside that Elf said that Will's power applies to practice, the use I was having Will use it for--determining Hai's trajectory--is 100% theory.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »

if it applies to practise as well, it's super broken

because it was already "automaticaly figure out the solution to the problem", but also "also automaticaly can do it"

how did elf ever get the idea that Hainuweles ability was too similar to Wills and needed changing? Wills is miles above any ability in the game in sheer brokenness

((also, 22, not 12.))
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:05:51 pm by Akroma »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »

What part of "Move hand to spot near head" is so super-difficult?

Once you have a bit of knowledge of where the object is going to go, catching it is easy. Think of it as juggling one ball, except you only need to catch it and you have a superpower that lets you forsee where it will go.
Or as catching a ball with such a superpower. Either or.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: February 02, 2014, 06:10:32 pm »

Also I can tell just by looking (because Keith is... yeah) that Will has a few more points than possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: February 02, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »

Are you accounting for the fact that single-form characters get more points? And that Will got a level up?
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: February 02, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »

Single for would be seventy five and then eighty with a level up...

He's behind on points actually. Also you need at least one point in all stats.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:19:43 pm by kj1225 »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: February 02, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

stop restricting the practise to just the event at hand. I am speaking more general. The abuse potential is absolutely immense. The only "drawback" is that it costs Mana, and as I've said, Mana regeneration in this game is pointlessly huge, so it's just a strawman drawback to point at when trying to explain the non-broken-ness.

it's an ability that always makes you know exactly what to do, and now it even gives you the ability to do so. It's simply broken. It's a permanent 22-point stat increase, at no cost whatsoever.

that being said, yes, it is that difficult, especialy if the attack comes from behind. When a ball is thrown at you, knowing where it will go is just half the rent. You also need to be able to move very fast and very precise. Your power is intuition, not reflexes or coordination. Knowing exactly every theorethical step of a waltz wont make you not step on some toes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: February 02, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »

Single for would be seventy five and then eighty with a level up...

He's behind on points actually. Also you need at least one point in all stats.
The only stat he lacks points in is Magic, which is logical since he doesn't use magic and Elf said superpowers are based on Mind.

stop restricting the practise to just the event at hand. I am speaking more general. The abuse potential is absolutely immense. The only "drawback" is that it costs Mana, and as I've said, Mana regeneration in this game is pointlessly huge, so it's just a strawman drawback to point at when trying to explain the non-broken-ness.

it's an ability that always makes you know exactly what to do, and now it even gives you the ability to do so. It's simply broken. It's a permanent 22-point stat increase, at no cost whatsoever.
Why are you assuming that it will always be used to replace Dex?

that being said, yes, it is that difficult, especialy if the attack comes from behind. When a ball is thrown at you, knowing where it will go is just half the rent. You also need to be able to move very fast and very precise. Your power is intuition, not reflexes or coordination. Knowing exactly every theorethical step of a waltz wont make you not step on some toes
And yet, once you know where a ball is, it's positively easy to catch if it's thrown straight at you. Even a child can do it.

<I swear...upon the name of the Creator, Shis’m Caes.>
<...I see. Well, it made more sense for God to be a maternal figure in the first place anyways.
Shys'm Caes is a maternal name?
And your BBCode is overly complex.
Code: [Select]
[size=15px][/size][size=15px][font=Impact]<I swear...upon the name of the Creator, Shis’m Caes.>[/font][/size]
[size=15px][/size][size=15px][font=Arial]<...I see. Well, it made more sense for God to be a maternal figure in the first place anyways.[/font][/size]
Sig

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: February 02, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »

Speed is still a factor, so you would have damage applied to your hands. You may be looking at a broken bone to a bruise depending on size, speed and trajectory of the object flying at you.

Anyways, that's my two scents, Oh look ragnarok is doing plot -scurries away for plot-
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:28:14 pm by Sanure »
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:04 pm »

How about we just silence this silly argument and focus on PLOT~
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »

That's because I just pasted it from a word document into the WYSIWYG. :/
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: February 02, 2014, 06:27:01 pm »

Speed is still a factor, so you would have damage applied to your hands. You may be looking at a broken bone to a bruise depending on size, speed and trajectory.
Hainawule wouldn't be travelling that fast. Her bones would be smaller than the bones in Will's hands, so if they would be damaged by stopping so would Hai's, when she lit upon the opposite wall or whatever.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1030