Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 904050 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Still Alive (somehow) (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #2490 on: October 30, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »

I didn't know there were any cats...
How's the situation looking now?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: October 30, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »

It's autumn, all that needed to be excavated, was excavated.

I've spotted 3 ghosts until now, but only 2 are muderous, and these are hanging out in the lower levels of the Pontificator, the megaproject I'm building (and which may will never be completed, of course).

We also have forgotten beast chitin blocks. They are light grey.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:00 pm »

Humorously enough, as I was running the save again for the first time in several weeks, one of the two liaisons I forced to join us, Kogan, was trying to grab a masterfully prepared rope reed seed roast when she spots Yara the forgotten beast standing in the adjacent doorway, all four limbs rotting off. Just standing there staringfailing to stare due to lack of eyes at the dwarf as its legs slowly rot off from the extracts of it's kin. (I don't know where it picked them up though, and they're no longer present in it's inventory, so that's troubling...) It's on z-level 15 (absolute value), not far above the magma forges.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:23:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 30, 2011, 11:43:44 pm »

[...] forgotten beast [...] magma forges.

The solution is obvious.

EDIT: OOC: Eric, I just noticed your sig has a typo. Dward Fortress?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 31, 2011, 12:10:45 am »

Oh crap. I didn't even notice, thanks. I suppose a dward would be a retarded dwarf? :P

And I also just got two FB's within two days of each other. Scary. Hopefully they'll be dwardges like Yara, and seemingly every other beast at this point... Is it possible that playing the game on constantly newer versions has actually broken the AI?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:15:01 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: October 31, 2011, 07:08:09 am »

That implies that the AI was ever functional in the first place. It's more likely that the insanity and space-time-fabric-ripping that goes on has destroyed the intelligence of all creatures.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

I doubt it has had any effect due to the fact Toady never changed pathing during this period.

Its probably just that there are multiple paths leading to the dwarves and the closest dwarf is constantly in a state of flux. Thus the FBs can never decide who to stalk. I figure this because FBs seem to always go after the closest dwarf in the off chance you forget about them. So I think they change who they go after rather constantly. Maybe someone should submit Failcannon to an AI pathing research project. They might be able to learn something from this mess.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 01, 2011, 01:03:49 am »

Just checking up on the monster I helped create.

Anything important happen since my last visit?

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 01, 2011, 01:39:02 am »

Hello

Long time follower, Has anyone ever thought of trying to undertake a mega project to 'fix' the pathing complexity of the forgotten beasts? slowly winnow down the number of paths via controlled cave ins of each route until they suddenly all realize the one and only path?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:23 am »

You're on incarnation number 13 now, and the ghost of 11 seems pretty pissed about something.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:35 am »

The fortress almost killed itself with a loyalty cascade, Catalyst had to be kept away from the other dwarves in case he 'infected' anyone with his rebellious civilization (she eventually escaped and was brutally killed), Dariush designed an entrance in the ocean that we've never gotten to work right, but managed to drown, I think, three dwarves on the walkways leading to the screw pumps managing it.  My dwarf is on his third disguise and planning to take over the fort with nefarious schemes so complex even he isn't fully certain if they're still going to plan.  The dorimitories are being converted into a tomb with a fuck-you device in the form of a colossal cave-in system being built on the floor above.  If it works,  It'll destroy every coffin in the fortress and probably generate a LOT of angry ghosts.

Oh, and I completely and utterly ruined Hell for everyone in my own fortress by outright humiliating the much-feared Underworld with a bit of dwarven engineering.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »

Maybe someone should submit Failcannon to an AI pathing research project. They might be able to learn something from this mess.

Failcannon: so eldritch it can be used as laboratory equipment. If the dwarves ever manage to build a particle accelerator, they'll probably be able to jump the boundary into the real world and we'd be screwed.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 01, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »

Oh dear lord. Angry, beer-soaked, beards. Now with particle accelerators.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:16 pm »

They already have particle accelerators. They're called raising drawbridges.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 01, 2011, 11:19:28 pm »

Similar, but no. The real dwarven particle accelerator is a creature's ability to dodge up to ten feet for every opponent attacking them at a given time. 10 steel serrated discs = max of 30 tiles dodged. Whether all of the dodging occurs in the space of one frame I don't know :P
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 189