Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 242740 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 1: Baked Cake Taken!
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2014, 12:47:11 am »

Imp:  Welcome back!  What did you learn in your absence that's applicable to Mafia?

I have played a lot of Mush the Dawn these last few months.  It's an investigative game, though actions (including movement), inactions, and choices made are the major things to investigate, with tons of coordination but not so much discussion that would help determine who that game's scum are.  And scum there are killing converters with a lot of other powers.

I've played some Town of Salem.

I'm no longer fascinated by Mafia.  Still interested, but not all gung ho.

So lots of related similar game experiences but no longer overfocused on the game.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:09 am »

Alright. Given the resolution of my suspicions, I'll unvote Tiruin.
Jiokuy, has any of that which has been said so far stuck out as particularly scummy to you, or seeming to come from a scum perspective?

As town, I wouldn't want the day wasted on a lynch of me. If I can be convincing in my claim of miller, I can then continue assisting and try to find a scum to lynch.
Your claim is weighed against the claim of an investigator.

The investigator's claim of me receiving a scum result on investigation wouldn't conflict with my own claim- it'd merely confirm that I was either miller or scum.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:46 am »

Alright.  I've eaten, rested a bit, and read some stuff on CanLII.  Let's do this.

Shakerag: Has your role screwed everyone over yet?  If not, when will it?

Varee: Do you consider your efforts to fake cluelessness in my BYOR to have been pro-town?  Hypothetically, how would you react if you discovered that someone new to the forum was doing similar things in this BYOR?

Tiruin: By rolecop, you mean alignment cop, right?  Because the latter's the one that learns alignments.  The former learns roles.

Is your miller power one of those dependent on the number of players?  What did Webadict say about you being a miller?  Please tell us everything you're comfortable telling us about your milleriness.

Also, Cheetar, what is this silliness about claiming after instead of before?
4maskwolf: Out of all of Cheeetar's lynch push, this is what you latch on to?  The bit where he shows cluelessness about how the game works?  Please explain how this specific part of Cheeetar's argument indicates scumhood.

Jack A T Mario is Busing Bowser. How does Princess Peach, who is Tiruin, react? As a Toad, how do you react?
flabort: I'll deal with this later.  I don't really feel like digging through Google Drive right now, sorry.

MILLER STUFF AHEAD
At some time, I feel like I should dig through the subforum, find all the miller debates, and write up an extended review of the debates to point to whenever a miller debate starts.

If Tiruin is really a miller, I will eat Webadict's birthday hat.
Cheeetar: Is a miller claim really that huge a scumtell to you, or is there something else that leaves/left you so absolutely convinced of Tiruin's scumhood?
Jack A T, do you agree with my proposal [to lynch Tiruin for claiming miller]?
No.  Your plan is a lazy policy lynch that isn't even based on good policy.   I do not support lazy policy lynches.  I do not support discouraging millers from doing what they can to minimize wasted inspects.
Cheeetar (continued): You seem oddly uncertain about the Tiruin lynch for someone who is so convinced that Tiruin is lying that you would "eat Webadict's birthday hat" if she isn't.  Please explain.

Spoiler: Jack A T (click to show/hide)
It's not a 'strategy'- I'm saying even in the eventuality of the miller being investigated (quite low should they act like town and scumhunt), it is not a given that they will then be lynched. If we are to say that a miller claiming is towny, wouldn't every scumteam have a scum claim miller in every game? I don't believe a day 1 claim of miller is helpful to the town, no.
It is true that it is not a given that they will be lynched.  It is merely a near certainty, as opposed to an absolute certainty.  Nobody would take the "I'm a miller and I decided not to tell you until my neck was on the chopping block oh and the cop wasted an inspect!" defense seriously.

While there is a school of thought on millers in which D1 miller claims are seen as strong town tells on this forum (based on meta: scum almost never claims miller D1, while millers almost always claim miller D1), it is not the dominant one.  I, and most other players, view D1 miller claims as generally null tells: claiming miller as a miller minimizes the chance of a wasted inspect and the chance of a mislynch based on that inspect, making it the optimal town play, and optimal town play is generally good scum play.

Is there a reason, beyond some stuff about odds that doesn't make up for the fact that the reduction of low odds of significant harm to town in a harmless way is of value, for your belief that the benefits I noted do not make D1 miller claims from millers pro-town?
...however true it may be, it [claiming miller] seems to me something that a townie would not do.
And yet townies do it.  You already saw Toaster noting his views and that it was his standard practice.  Is there a reason this assumption continues even after it has been shown that townies do it?

PPE:
Alright. Given the resolution of my suspicions, I'll unvote Tiruin.
Cheetar: Fascinating.  Do you still think Tiruin is lying about being a miller, or has that suspicion been negated?  Is this unvote primarily based on the negative reaction to your case?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2014, 02:38:51 am »

TolyK How much time does work and sleep take away from the average Mafia player? How often should a Mafia player be posting?

I'm surprised that this is the only question to me, but with this many people...
I don't know how much people actually work at work, but 8-10 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work leave 6-8 for mafia. Seriously, though - probably at least twice a day, but more if they are holding an important discussion (5 at least?).

Some notes.
- Post-explosion! Or rather an explosion of posts.
- Holy crap. Jack and Irony are playing. I must have missed that.
- Op lets me as replacement when I've already replaced :p but that probably means the lack of questions.

The plan, Flabort, is that we lynch Tiruin because of the claim she's made- it's a better alternative than anything else currently available in Day 1.

4maskwolf, do you think my plan is incredibly stupid?

In fact, in case it wasn't obvious enough already that I am asking everybody:
Everybody, do you think a claimed miller lynch would be the best choice on Day 1, in the absence of any strong scumtells, or would a more random vote work better?
I think it's possible to have more scum tells d1 due to 17 players.
So it's a dumb plan, yes.

I think claiming miller prior to being investigated is more suspicious than claiming miller post being investigated.
Nah, don't agree. Claiming up front is really risky for scum unless they have a pseudo-miller ability.
Claiming Miller later is more suspicious, but possibly more useful to the player if the chip doesn't reveal themselves yet.

Oh, and the only precaution that should be done, imo, is just tracking him. Or rolecopping.
But lynching over it is silly. The discussion that it generated is good though.

I can't really think of any good questions, but since RVS has practically ended I'll look for some more stuff.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:59 am »

The investigator's claim of me receiving a scum result on investigation wouldn't conflict with my own claim- it'd merely confirm that I was either miller or scum.
Err...yeah. Hence my point on the matter. >_>

...Also, Resolution? Is this more of a personal thing or am I missing something?

Shifting to NQT:
What is your underlying philosophy with how I can explain my role; is it associated with my claim of being a miller? Is it somewhat related to how I can explain myself, rather?

Question sheet!

Imp
Imp:  Welcome back!  What did you learn in your absence that's applicable to Mafia?

I'm no longer fascinated by Mafia.  Still interested, but not all gung ho.

So lots of related similar game experiences but no longer overfocused on the game.
Mmm...fascinated =/= overfocused?
I'm a bit confused by the terms but I associate fascinated = interested//something good. :x
What do you mean by fascinated? Did it become...bad?

IronyOwl
Black or white morality, how do you see that in terms of a Mafia game?
Meaning: What do you base your judgement of seeing someone as scummy by? Their attitude, wording, emotional-attachment...?

Cheeetar: What makes a person scummy in your eyes and do you mean all words you say, when you say them? Are they to be taken as-is?

flabort: Why do you use intricate methods of analogy in questions to certain people? Is it a shift of viewpoint or is there something up with your wording there?

4maskwolf: Right, this is where I bring that question back again. In the situation of being chided or seemingly being faced with abrasiveness, do you think it is better to act proactively or act reactively? As in, the former being a response which is calm and collected versus the response that lies with emotions and has more 'impact' in a sense?

Tiruin: By rolecop, you mean alignment cop, right?  Because the latter's the one that learns alignments.  The former learns roles.

Is your miller power one of those dependent on the number of players?  What did Webadict say about you being a miller?  Please tell us everything you're comfortable telling us about your milleriness.
...Yeah. Alignments >_> Sorry.

Also, no? Webadict was creative with the terminology of my role so all my powers are dependent (as in, I'm amorphous~) or better termed 'shift' according to the amount of players. :v This 'fun' is not the DF 'fun' but more...amusing how he structured it.
What webadict said wasn't that I'm a miller but that I'm [REDACTED] - I inspect as Mafia. Which means Miller. I'm not claiming the abilityname because prior experiences with abilities (ie Remember that note I told 4mask early today? Yeah, that's my thoughts on it.)
That's it. He just said...I'm a miller. It's in a list along with my abilities reminiscent of how webadict writes his character sheets.
Or do you mean for me to ask him why he made me miller? <_< Because that kinda question seems...err. Err. It seems Err.

Also, CanLII?

PPE
TolyK
You don't view the players list a lot, do ya? :P
- Op lets me as replacement when I've already replaced :p but that probably means the lack of questions.
You replaced someone?

Query for ya since you mentioned a tangent:
Nah, don't agree. Claiming up front is really risky for scum unless they have a pseudo-miller ability.
Claiming Miller later is more suspicious, but possibly more useful to the player if the chip doesn't reveal themselves yet.
I remember one game wherein you were a miller, was caught and didn't claim at the start--could you give insight regarding that matter? How did it feel for you? How did you regard the first person to poke you on it?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2014, 02:52:24 am »

This, and other posts asking for information about Tiruin's role beyond that of being a miller- still scummy, even if you ask timidly.

I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:15 am »

Err...yeah. Hence my point on the matter. >_>

...Also, Resolution? Is this more of a personal thing or am I missing something?

Resolution, just as in- my suspicions were resolved. Perhaps I'm improperly using the word. To state it simply: The miller claim to me now seems unsuspicious.

Cheeetar: What makes a person scummy in your eyes and do you mean all words you say, when you say them? Are they to be taken as-is?

I say what I mean, and I mean what I say (at the time in which I say & mean it.) I do like to provoke discussion, however, and exaggerating or downplaying what I say tends to help with that.
I've played some mafia.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2014, 03:51:38 am »

Unvote.
Rereading.
PFP

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2014, 04:48:28 am »

TolyK
You don't view the players list a lot, do ya? :P
Sometimes, sometimes)
You replaced someone?
Hapah, before the game started.
Query for ya since you mentioned a tangent:
I remember one game wherein you were a miller, was caught and didn't claim at the start--could you give insight regarding that matter? How did it feel for you? How did you regard the first person to poke you on it?
AFAIR, I was ready for the questioning to start at any moment, but wasn't really ready to do anything about it. There was a Miller claim before that, so u was suspicious of them, and everyone was suspicious of me.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2014, 05:39:43 am »

Cheeetar
In fact, in case it wasn't obvious enough already that I am asking everybody:
Everybody, do you think a claimed miller lynch would be the best choice on Day 1, in the absence of any strong scumtells, or would a more random vote work better?
Trouble with policy lynches is, if they're on town they give scum an easy way of not making a case.

Imp
notquitethere:  Have you already started your spreadsheet for this game?  If yes, what do you now consider the most important thing(s) to track?  If not, do you still use spreadsheets?  If not, why not?
No, not yet. I usually wait to see if I survive until Day 2 before putting in that level of investment. The most important things to track are the same: player engagement and strength of cases, and whether players are actively fostering suspicions. I measure these in different ways (I don't want to go into too much detail: as you know, scum have been known to game the metrics I've tried following in the past).

Toaster
NQT:  What does the unpredictable nature of a BYOR do to your analytical hunting style?
Ask me this again on Day 3. I have an answer but if I tell you now, scum might change their behaviour accordingly.

Do you think not being able to read the posts will affect your scum hunting?

Tiruin
(Before I begin, I want to reiterate that I reiterate that this is not a personal attack, I think you're swell etc. I'm just playing the game.)
Wow NQT. That's pretty low of you. Why I'm 'so keen' on not having my role inspected is because it'll end up MAFIA. Are you trying to be obfuscating or are you seeing something I'm not even in the most blatant of logics? <_<
Why should you care about being inspected when you've openly said you're a miller?

Find me a game where a Miller was a mostly innocent idea in the first place, because the method of your approach is flawed in its foundations. If you cannot, I'm free to hang, but let me tell you that it was in the interpretation of the moderator that led to being a miller in most cases--for the rest, it seems more on just getting miller.
If I understand your claim correctly, you're saying you're not sure why Wuba gave you 'miller' because it doesn't fit particularly with the concept you submitted. There's a very easy way to resolve this: just tell me the name of the auto-role that gives you the miller status. Then I can see whether it thematically fits or not. So I'm crystal clear, imagine this is your role PM:

(auto) Deviance: Your entertain all manner of strange thoughts and so come up as Mafia on inspection.
(night) Conceptualisation: blah blah blah.
(one-shot) Abstraction: blah blah blah

I want to know what the bold part is for your miller status.

You believe that I'm a miller, or in the least do claim miller--is my effort on trying to explain why I am a miller too much for you to handle or do you want to go off on a tangent that'd waste both of our energies? I lack any indication on why it is so bold or important for you to dwell on, and lest it be me explaining for myself, you need to clarify your foundation before anything else unless we go into misunderstandings.
You've made the bold claim here Tiruin: you're saying that you will appear as scum on inspection. You know who else appears scum on inspection? Scum. All too often players just accept other people's claims without pushing them on it. I know that you're more than capable of fake-claiming, so I want to test that by questioning you. I'm not wasting anyone's time here, I'm playing the game.

If I'm not able to see how relevant to my role, then I'm lying scum~
How the heck do you want me to see relevance in a mod's decision!? Lying scum for what!?
It was very obvious to me how each of my role powers fit in with the concept I sent Wuba. Is there [size=18]anyone else[/size] who is unsure how their role fits in with the idea they sent? If you're unclear, you know you can just ask Wuba, right?

Is your aim to know my rolename or not?
I actually just wanted to know whether it fit in with the rolename. If you'd have said 'yes, it fits with the role' then I'd have probably dropped it. Now I want to know what the role-power name is that gives you miller.

Have you missed my obvious cue. THOUGHT. THERE?
No, I figured that's what you were claiming was your role (or something related to thought).

Ugh. You vote me for not being direct yet you cling yourself to the idea that you're scumhunting by asking me something I can't even answer.
You can definitely answer my questions. I'll even restate what I'm now asking for in a very clear way. You can ignore the rest of the above and just respond to these two things if you like:

1. What is the name of the (auto) power that gives you 'miller'?
2. If you're not sure how miller fits with the idea you sent to wuba, could you ask him to clarify?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:22 am »

If I understand your claim correctly, you're saying you're not sure why Wuba gave you 'miller' because it doesn't fit particularly with the concept you submitted. There's a very easy way to resolve this: just tell me the name of the auto-role that gives you the miller status. Then I can see whether it thematically fits or not. So I'm crystal clear, imagine this is your role PM:

(auto) Deviance: Your entertain all manner of strange thoughts and so come up as Mafia on inspection.

NQT, the point at which you asked for the explicit name of the auto-role was more than a little suspicious.
I've played some mafia.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2014, 06:19:44 am »

PFP

When I said ability-name stuff, I mean its symbolic.
I'm Unlucky = Miller. [You show up as Mafia on inspects paraphrased]

Why should you care about being inspected when you've openly said you're a miller?
@__@
Didn't I say I don't? >_>

@1st paragraph: Yes.
It is Unlucky.

Why do you care so much about it? Got an ability or tag to inspect it? Go bloody ahead.

You've made the bold claim here Tiruin: you're saying that you will appear as scum on inspection. You know who else appears scum on inspection? Scum. All too often players just accept other people's claims without pushing them on it. I know that you're more than capable of fake-claiming, so I want to test that by questioning you. I'm not wasting anyone's time here, I'm playing the game.
So why do you ask me to interpret why the mod would make me a darn miller?

I actually just wanted to know whether it fit in with the rolename. If you'd have said 'yes, it fits with the role' then I'd have probably dropped it. Now I want to know what the role-power name is that gives you miller.
Now that's a brilliant piece of scumhunting <_< Hey let's claim miller for the lolz!

You can definitely answer my questions. I'll even restate what I'm now asking for in a very clear way. You can ignore the rest of the above and just respond to these two things if you like:

1. What is the name of the (auto) power that gives you 'miller'?
2. If you're not sure how miller fits with the idea you sent to wuba, could you ask him to clarify?
I'm failure sure in that its in the interpretation which qualifies it as miller.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2014, 06:42:39 am »

Tiruin
I'm Unlucky = Miller. [You show up as Mafia on inspects paraphrased]
Ok thanks. And is Unlucky a word that fits with your concept?

@__@
Didn't I say I don't? >_>
You said "don't inspect me". I can only take that one way, that you don't want to be inspected.

Why do you care so much about it? Got an ability or tag to inspect it? Go bloody ahead.
No, I just taking the smallest efforts to check whether you're lying.

So why do you ask me to interpret why the mod would make me a darn miller?
Because it should be obvious. Wuba isn't some kind of mystic poet: his roles and role powers make sense with the concepts he's given and should be clear to the person who sent the role in.

Now that's a brilliant piece of scumhunting <_< Hey let's claim miller for the lolz!
How is this relevant to what I'm asking? I'm trying to ascertain whether you're telling lies and you're not filling me with much confidence.

I'm failure sure in that its in the interpretation which qualifies it as miller.
Could you rephrase this sentence so it's clearer please.

Thank you for answering one of my two questions. Now could you tell me whether 'Unlucky' is an appropriate power name for the role you sent in?

To make sure I'm super clear, here are three pairs of role names and role power names. Can you spot which one is inappropriate?

NECROMANCER
Raise Dead (night) - blah blah

BUNNY
Chartered Accountancy (auto) - blah blah

THE PACIFIC OCEAN
Tsunami (one-shot) - blah blah

Cheetar, I'm trying to ascertain whether Tiruin is telling the truth or not about her claim. I'm no asking about anything that isn't relevant to what she's already declared. Do you have a problem with this? What level of scrutiny would be more appropriate?

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2014, 06:47:36 am »

NQT
Varee, how do you intend to make the most out of Day 1?
Well...... First thing is i need to sort though this 6 page of stuff that pop up when i sleep and 6 more when i return home..... then maybe i can start forming some question....

Flabort
Varee If you were to pick a different role, knowing the alignment you would be, than the one you picked, what role would you pick for your repick?
Hmm interesting question. I would say I will be going with scooby doo. yeah...... weird question with a weirder answer?

Irony
Varee, would you rather have a roleblock or a kill? Follow or protect? Powerful one-shot or weak infinite use?
I prefer a power heavy role as I like to relia on info more than scum hunting. Just the amount of stuff that pop up while I sleep is way too much for me to sort though in the morning. So it would be roleblock. Follow and infinite power. I really have a hard time using one shots unless there a plan i have in mind like the  CYOR games. Follow is always nice way to gain info. and a kill is always hard to decide to use.

Jack
Varee: Do you consider your efforts to fake cluelessness in my BYOR to have been pro-town?  Hypothetically, how would you react if you discovered that someone new to the forum was doing similar things in this BYOR?
I dont know the threshold of lying in this forum yet. I think it is not so bad to fake noob as you are most likly to pull it off once and in that byor it was close to the end so i decide to do it.

so whoever feel like they have time to give opinion: What do you think is lying too much. Is saying your internet broke down to avoid answering question?

ppe and NQT ninjaed me ....
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2014, 06:52:41 am »

Cheetar, I'm trying to ascertain whether Tiruin is telling the truth or not about her claim. I'm no asking about anything that isn't relevant to what she's already declared. Do you have a problem with this? What level of scrutiny would be more appropriate?

To ask for the exact name of the role is suspicious. It leads me to think there is a reason you want the exact name rather than an explanation of how it ties in.
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 123