Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3298 3299 [3300] 3301 3302 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5887944 times)

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49485 on: February 04, 2017, 03:11:55 am »

Zounds! A swamp titan! Run everyone, before it ki-............... A freaking river otter just one shot a titan. Scratched it's head and then it was dead.
I had one wandered straight into the middle of my meeting hall before I had any defenses up. My worker dwarves ganged it up with bare hands. It left behind a non-mangled corpse that my butcher promptly chopped up for swamp troll hair thread, troll leather, troll bones and swamp troll roast.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49486 on: February 04, 2017, 05:10:11 am »

Combatshield endures.

The merchants arriving amidst zombies turned out to be surprisingly capable. Not only did they kill each of the reanimated migrants, they made it too my depot. Once more, I bought all of their wood, some metal, lots of food, and a few bits of equipment in exchange for clothing and rock crafts.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the merchants keep visiting this place. They have to journey through an undead-filled desert, fight off some of the fort's reanimated inhabitants, walk past the corpses of a dozen more dwarves, and finally have most of their useful stuff exchanged for rocks and socks. I guess whatever phantom-place they spring from has an urgent need for pretty decorations.

As the merchants were leaving, six migrants arrived, boosting population to 19. The baby alpaca they brought along got sealed behind a wall, though.

A miner discovered the first cave layer! It was gruesome. At least a dozen undead (troglodytes, dralthas, cave crocodiles, cave toads...) were shambling around, and there's blood and corpses everywhere. The place does have trees, but I don't think a woodcutting expedition would be wise.

I've also completed the traditional trap-filled hallway to decrease the chances of an undead monstrosity getting inside. The design consists of two regular doors, a drawbridge, four falling stone traps and two weapon traps right now, but I'll be improving it once I have more fuel.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49487 on: February 04, 2017, 06:28:37 am »

Top tip, zombies are maintenance free immortal decorations for dwarves who like those creatures.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49488 on: February 04, 2017, 09:16:42 am »

We're just about done preparing for the second purge of the caverns... Need to get to that lava, so I can get magma forges going! I've made a stockpile of the chert blocks we're going to use to make the hallway and drawbridges that'll make up the path, as well as the flooring over the lava so clowns won't be able to come up it when that time comes. Amongst the twenty volunteers, we have no legendary or even master soldiers, but it'll do for what we will face, unless some of the FB's mulling about decide to come at me... Then, that's what the bridge over the stairs is for. Two dogs have been assigned to most of them, minus the greenest of recruits who will just have to depend on each other. A trio of hunters, ranging from accomplished to master crossbowdwarf, are tagging along, guarded by a dog each. I'm going to be slowly constructing the pathway behind them, with them stationed on either side of it in the cavern and the marksmen in the middle of the path. Anything that comes within view will be ordered dead by the nearest squad and the marksdwarves. Closer to the end I'll just send them out on a hunt around, killing anything I can see.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49489 on: February 04, 2017, 05:35:29 pm »

Outside my fortress, some wolves started fighting a bear, one of the tame ones pastured by the entrance. My marksdwarfs chucked some bolts at them, but then a random tanner went wolf punching because she felt vengeful. She avenged a bear! She punched a wolf to death to avenge a bear! The bear wasn’t even that hurt!

I've now recruited Feb Wolf-Puncher into the military :)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49490 on: February 04, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »

I just had the game tell me that
"Gabat Pinkclasp, Human Pikeman Vampire is visiting" my tavern.
I thought vampires where supposed to be stealthy? This one blinks, so he's a legendary. Also he is very, very slow.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49491 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »

As it turns out, I missed a couple werewolf corpses in my attempt to clear out my fortress. Lifeclutched is still clutched in the grips of a werewolf-related mini-apocalypse where everything that dies comes back to life a couple months later. I've locked everyone smart and quick enough to get inside into a single room while the werewolves were all transformed, so hopefully I can use this separation of the populace to isolate the werewolves and save the remainder. Not sure if I'm going to kill them all or set them aside for fun things later. There are a handful of non-werewolves out and about, but they're probably doomed anyway.

The werewolves slaughtered everyone in the library, out by the corpse stockpile (which is in the mountain biome, which doesnt resurrect the dead) and in the trade depot. I think there were eight or nine in total including one that wasnt named, several died, they'll get back up soon enough...

edit:

That plan didnt pan out. Turns out there were eight werewolves among those that I sealed in the dorm room. Come the full moon, there are now three werewolves in a dorm room surrounded by corpses.

There are a dozen or more elsewhere in the fortress, between visitors and another citizen that turned.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:39:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49492 on: February 05, 2017, 10:59:28 am »

A minotaur attacked my fort. The first chance for my huge army of mercenary battle fodder and training hammerlords to kill something.

The thing got killed by one of the mercenaries coming into my fort. Just like the last minotaur. 

I fear I may have to breach the cavern specifically to get something for my 5-6 squads to die to and free up space battle for glory and honor. 
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #49493 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:56 pm »

Made a drowning room for dwarves infected by werebeasts. They wouldn't starve in their rooms so I built a room connected to a brook where they would fall asleep or eat and be locked in the room. I can imagine what there faces would look like as they realized exactly what was about to happen. It's cruel but I can't have them occupying a room and transforming away their hunger and thirst so they don't die of starvation or dehydration.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49494 on: February 05, 2017, 04:32:20 pm »

Combatshield is doing surprisingly well.

I built a nice prison and barracks, got a wave of 20 migrants (doubling my population), managed to get the grazers pastured in an upper room now covered in cave moss, and even got a strange mood! The dwarf in question got some rough and cut gems and proceeded to make a 24000 GP armor stand. It's decorating the barracks as we speak.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49495 on: February 05, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »

Forced to abandon Lifeclutched. There was no way to control the resurrecting creatures, dwarves werent hauling corpses to the mountains fast enough. Not only that, but dwarves that die and are then resurrected cant be assigned labors, and I only had three dwarves left that hadnt been killed. Werewolves were killing each other, too, and everything devolved into a horrible laggy mess. Again.

So I've built a new fortress south of there, which has a small section of the resurrecting biome in the north, which I can use in a controlled manner.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49496 on: February 05, 2017, 06:26:20 pm »

I fear my FPS is getting to a dangerously low rate. So far my plan is to close the tavern, and have the mercenaries I hired to kill all vistors in the tavern. Then I might be able to finish my river plugging project.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49497 on: February 05, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »

I have more beds than I have dwarves, visitors and pets COMBINED
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49498 on: February 05, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »

Dammit, had to abandon the fort... Three of the FB's came rushing in and slaughtered my forces before I noticed what was happening... Why the hell was I watching the engravers?!? By the time I noticed and gave the order to shut the bridge, the three eyed aardvark destroyed the only lever connected to it and the dwarf who was coming to pull it. Apparently my novice military wasn't set up to fight FB's yet... Alas, Agedspikes is no more...

Well, onto the next fort. Maybe I'll do a human above ground one...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49499 on: February 06, 2017, 01:06:26 pm »

Combatshield got slight problems.

Another migrant wave arrived, swelling fortress ranks to somewhere over 40. A hospital was built. The trade depot was moved inside: I may not get to trade with the wagons now, but at least I'll get to trade at all. Shortly thereafter, a dog was killed by an undead porcupine; it must've wandered outside during the deconstruction of the old depot. I suppose the caravan will kill it when they approach.

However, two minor incidents endangered the fortress greatly within short time. First a cavy boar starved to death in front of my dining room: I had to close off a section of the fortress and have my militia guard the corpse for half a month. Upon reanimating, it was quickly smashed to pieces.

Then, some sheared lamb wool got uppity. Civilians quickly killed it, but the Necrohazard Disposal Pit (translation: deep hole for throwing stuff in), wasn't completely finished yet. I ended up dumping it on top of two unsuspecting miners, who barely got away when the wool reanimated again.
Pages: 1 ... 3298 3299 [3300] 3301 3302 ... 3836