Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71486 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:50 am »

Awesome bug:

Railroads give 50% production boost to any city connected to your capital via railroads. However, the game must have forgotten than harbors (the FAR FAR FAR more cost effective way to make trade routes) also count as connections. So if you build a small railway from your capital to a harbor city, every single city you have with a port will get 50% railroad boost without the insane costs of actually building the railroads.
That is awesome. I'll have to try that next time.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2010, 06:10:55 pm »

Not so awesome bug:

American Minutemen can't use roads. EVER. Their special trait is that every tile costs 1 movement point, sure this is great for traveling in hilly, forest covered terrian. But not for intercity travel. They don't use roads, how silly!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »

Not so awesome bug:

American Minutemen can't use roads. EVER. Their special trait is that every tile costs 1 movement point, sure this is great for traveling in hilly, forest covered terrian. But not for intercity travel. They don't use roads, how silly!

You sure that is a bug? Maybe it is that to them 1 for 1 movement is standard. Thus even Roads can't speed them up.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »

I just played Americans and I'm pretty sure that minutemen not using roads is as intended. Initially, I was kind of pissed because I had no idea. As I thought about it though it makes a lot of sense. Minutemen are raised to defend their home. They know the terrain, but they aren't going to like being raised and then shipped off 10,000 miles to fight anything that isn't a direct threat. I think they could use a slight strength buff of production discount. More playtesting needed for me to say anything for sure though.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2010, 07:32:09 pm »

"Right men, we have road and rails that could take us quickly to defend our native lands. Or, we could walk through the marsh. Your choice."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »

Awesome bug:

Railroads give 50% production boost to any city connected to your capital via railroads. However, the game must have forgotten than harbors (the FAR FAR FAR more cost effective way to make trade routes) also count as connections. So if you build a small railway from your capital to a harbor city, every single city you have with a port will get 50% railroad boost without the insane costs of actually building the railroads.

If you look at coastal towns, especially during the industrial revolution and the time of the railroad, they actually do have a major advantage in productivity. Though, it would make sense if the game somehow factored in the distance between the coastal towns, so that Los Angeles-New York type affairs weren't giving you a free ride.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2010, 08:08:55 pm »

From a game design point, this railroad/harbor thing is kind of dumb, but I really don't know a good way to fix it. Give harbors more upkeep when railroads are discovered? Make the bonus reliant on building some other building you create after railroads are invented that has a bigger upkeep?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:23 am »

Am I the only experiencing some sort of lag? I'm not sure why, my computer should be ready to destroy this game, but it lags between turns, when I start the game, and when the turns start. Any ideas?  :(
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:08 am »

The memory usage on the game is through the roof. It will regularly max out the memory (over well over 2GB) and then start swapping data out of the page file. All this swapping and definitely adds a lot of lag. It does this even on low graphical settings =(. I know for sure there is a leak somewhere as well.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2010, 01:43:25 am »

Yeah, it's almost as bad as a fully modded out civilization 4.

The best experience in this game as of right now is making a few xml tweaks per your preference and then playing on either a small / medium map with only a few ai. Eight AI is good. Don't play the large matches with huge maps and 15,000,000 ai players as your computer will be ground into dust and it's not. that. fun.

There's also no diplomacy bugs when there's only a few ai players. None of that infinitely long peace treaty nonsense or neverending research treaties because the game can't handle that many ai business.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:38 am »

Trying to bring this back to the thread topic, what civ have you guys been playing?

I'm finding the German bonus, 50% of free unit capturing a barbarian city, to be wonderfully powerful. Being 20 or so turns in with four units, admittedly all warriors, gives you quite an edge. Shame your xp from barbs stops at 30 though. As the barbarians get better units you capture better ones too.

Also combining that with the military social tree means you win more and have cheap upgrades, to the extent that it's actually cheaper to instant-build a basic unit and upgrade it afterwards. I don't think I built a single land unit in my last game just kept the free ones and upgraded my vast armies.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2010, 03:54:55 am »

Germany is definitely the most powerful civ of the bunch. The other civs can't really compare. For example, everyone is well aware of how great the barbarian conquering bonus is (not only do you get free units, but if you don't get the free unit, you get 75 gold instead, which 3x more than everyone else). Being able to field a ridiculously huge army (17 - 18 units easily) without spending a single hammer on military unit production is incredibly good.

Then their first unique unit is a half-priced pikeman. This means they get to have pikemen that cost the same to make as spearmen. And their pikemen are stronger than other pikemen. Ayup. I personally consider this to be the most powerful unique unit of the middle ages as pikemen lie on the same route as getting the knowledge tech for universities, a must have tech considering in this version of civ you can't trade tech and as such, you really need to be on top of your game in terms of research. All the other civ medieval units are on the combat line of research.

And their second unique unit is the panzer, which for some strange reason is cheaper than regular tanks and does more damage.

I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky to lose as Germany or be denied barbarians or something. Heck, in fact I think currently only Germany can defeat a diety level AI 1 on 1 because of the barbarian recruitment and pikemen spam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2010, 03:57:49 am »

Well if Civ 5 has Barbarian adjustment then you could simply lose because quite a bit of people actually dislike barbarian hoards.

I am still waiting for the expansion and/or mods. Hopefully they will try to, though they wont, make a Fall From Heaven for this game too. Though they wont... Hopefully they will make a Beyond the Sword type expansion for this game as well... though they won't.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2010, 04:41:45 am »

Germany is definitely the most powerful civ of the bunch.

Not sure if it's the most, certainly one of the better ones. The Babylonian free great scientist and half price great scientists is pretty game changing too. Not only can you do the standard great library / civil service jump but you can get there faster with five extra science a turn, probably doubling your early game.

Although not as good the set of Greek unique units is nice as well, both early on in the game and very powerful if you can churn them out. The city-state bonus is just a nice addition. Likewise England's longbow men, range 3 (despite what the civilpedia says), are able to sit out of range and kill off pretty much anything which gives a nice edge to combat that the AI already can't handle.

The only one I've played so far I'm not a big fan of is the French one, which I actually expected to be one of the better ones. You do get your first social much faster which is nice but it's only +2 per city and to get any decent bonus you need more cities which is counter productive.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:33 am »

The only one I've played so far I'm not a big fan of is the French one, which I actually expected to be one of the better ones. You do get your first social much faster which is nice but it's only +2 per city and to get any decent bonus you need more cities which is counter productive.

Still one of the most powerful civ's in the game. I have never seen a game where France was included that it didn't become the most powerful in the world. About four times in a row so far.

Pick liberty and spam cities. The bonus keeps culture accumulating fairly well even with more cities and the cities don't even need monuments. You can get really far in the liberty tree doing this, which continues the cycle of spamming cities and playing defensively. Then when you get your unique units you switch to warmongering with your massive production base.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43