Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Similar to...games  (Read 2425 times)

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Similar to...games
« on: August 12, 2019, 12:25:03 pm »

Let's talk about games that are similar to other ones... So do you know games similar to Sims?

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Similar to...games
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:06:10 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:48:51 am by catacombs »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:11:02 pm »

Fine games similiar to Long live the queen? Self answer :P:
1. Choice of rebels: uprising, due to quite similiar trial and error gameplay, only you choose "where the hell i should send my people to not die" instead of "what the hell do i learn to not die". About only big fault is mighty retarded looking tolerancy tokenism showing up about once or twice per chapter. Smaller fault is few (spoiler-spoiler, aye) NPC's more or less disappearing without a trace at certaing choices, but considering !situation! at time, it's excusable.
2. Seven kingdoms: princess problem, when\if it quits it's two years long development hell of "ok, i just have to finish seventh week and endings and oh my god *dies*". Despite Weird faces and female author who throws way too much lovees and cats around in her blog, i got most positive impression from three weeks demo. If when\if it will be out, rest will be on par, i will likely praise it all over the places as oh-my-god-finally worthy successor. Gameplay is almost exactly the same, except with more dialogues, romancing, branching. Last part is what got her and doesn't releases for a damned long time.

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:36:50 am »

Let's talk about games that are similar to other ones... So do you know games similar to Sims?

In terms of managing a group of people in a house or foritfication, there is RimWorld...
Thanks! I've never heard about this game, but I've checked the screenshots and it looks quite interesting.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57:24 pm »

The Guild 2 is basically medieval tycoon sims. You start off with a single character, build up a business, buff up your stats, gain influential positions, sabotage or murder others, marry, have kids and grow a Borgia-style family that steadily seeps into every available seat of power.

The Creatures series also feels a little bit like it, in that you guide computer people, have them accomplish stuff in the game world, they learn, they have moods, they get sick, they age and die, and they can leave offspring behind to carry on after them.

There was also this Sims clone I had to google to remember, called Singles. It even had a sequel. I think they tried to be a more adult Sims (there's nudity in it), and neither game is very good. Not terrible either, just forgettable.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:04:48 pm »

On the point of Sims/The Guild X--

There is also SAELIG, which is The Guild but in viking age(?) Scandinavian culture instead of medieval city states.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »

Looking for something like Merchant Prince/Machiavelli: The Prince, with a randomized world exploration element, but not a 4X.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:27:46 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:54 pm »

Another "Sims"-alike - Space Colony.

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:44:25 am »

The Guild 2 is basically medieval tycoon sims. You start off with a single character, build up a business, buff up your stats, gain influential positions, sabotage or murder others, marry, have kids and grow a Borgia-style family that steadily seeps into every available seat of power.

The Creatures series also feels a little bit like it, in that you guide computer people, have them accomplish stuff in the game world, they learn, they have moods, they get sick, they age and die, and they can leave offspring behind to carry on after them.

There was also this Sims clone I had to google to remember, called Singles. It even had a sequel. I think they tried to be a more adult Sims (there's nudity in it), and neither game is very good. Not terrible either, just forgettable.

Thanks, I'll try this one as well. I like medieval era

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:15:41 am »

Rogue Legacy promised a roguelike game where you could build up future characters, effectively scaling the difficulty to you. Instead, it was a side-scroller where you needed certain upgrades to proceed, and occasionally got something to make the game easier.

Dungeonmans was a lot closer to what I was expecting. Each character who dies leaves behind a corpse full of loot in whatever dungeon they died in (don't die in the overworld), and bring back tokens to improve themselves when they succeed at a dungeon. Future characters get half credit for all of the tokens all previous characters brought back. It is possible to win on the first character, and I've done so once after a lot of tries. There are some trap options like improving the terrible starting equipment you replace as soon as you can with slightly less terrible starting equipment you replace as soon as you can, but it's mostly straightforward.

Any other similar games you know of?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:28 am »

On the point of Sims/The Guild X--

There is also SAELIG, which is The Guild but in viking age(?) Scandinavian culture instead of medieval city states.
Ok sounds interesting.  You'd never be able to tell that this was a trade/management thing based on the graphic-focused screenshots that really show nothing at all, except for that 1 that is out of nowhere.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:34:44 pm »

Caves on mobile is a bit like this. You can save up gold from multiple runs to get better stuff to start with. Tends to be stuff like bombs, etc, so aren't really a waste either.

Cardinal Quest 2 (also on mobile) has a bit of this going too, but it's mostly for unlocking different starting classes and the odd bonus. Some of them play differently enough that they're worth it.

It's a game. Have fun.