Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 830964 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #3990 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:43 am »

You aren't using a profiler? :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:28 am »

uhh... what's a profiler?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3992 on: February 26, 2013, 01:57:27 am »

It's a program that tells what functions in your program are using up the most CPU processing power. You can easily optimize the worst bottlenecks by seeing which function has the highest exclusive cycle time in percentages. For example, at() and size() were the top 40% for me, so I just optimized that and suddenly much faster. :D

Microsoft Visual Studio has a profiler bundled in it, or you could use some other profiler. If you're on Linux, you can use Valgrind.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: February 26, 2013, 02:07:04 am »

ahh awesome thank you,
this was the sort of super secret optimization secret I was hoping to come across by asking that here.
will try it out tonight.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: February 26, 2013, 02:14:30 am »

By the way, Skyrunner, I seem to be unable to get my system past OpenGL 3.0, which would mean that I can't use the advanced OpenGL needed to render your erosion sim stuff nicely. Just for comparison: Per simulation tick and point, 3.0 needs to calculate and pass 256 bytes of data to the graphics engine, while 3.3 needs only 8 bytes (which is exactly the essential simulation data, the rest can be preloaded and/or GPU calculated using vertex shaders).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3995 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:50 am »

I... don't get what you mean. o_O You can't make openGL 3.3 work on your machine?

And what's about the 256 bytes vs the 8 bytes?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: February 26, 2013, 02:35:37 am »

It is relevant to post things relating to software development but not explicit requests for help, correct?

I'm pretty stoked about this evening. One of the local Python groups is having a bit of a geekfest with food and beer. I get to network with a bunch of programmers in a city where I know few people. I also get to listen to four teams do presentations on Django, Pyramid, Bottle, and Flask. Admittedly, I've only ever heard of Django. Should be interesting.

Each team (don't know why it's a team - each only has one member) was tasked with creating a todo app incorporating various functionality using a specific web framework. They were given a month, which is understandable as they all have jobs. I, in my joblessness, completed half of my own Rails version the night before the meetup. I should probably have the good grace to be embarrassed for what is likely going to be the worst code at the meetup, but I'm pleased I got it working in a framework I just started learning a few days ago. It's even MVC.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: February 26, 2013, 03:21:08 am »

Thats cool Mephisto, I wish I could meet some local programmers.
And yeah, this thread isn't specifically for asking for heat.  There is another programming thread, THAT is the help thread, this thread doubles as one, but is normally more general programming stuff.

And thanks Skyrunner, got my shit optimized, now it's using between 0-2% instead of 9-10% CPU.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:13 am »

Check meetup.com - I found loads of groups for my area. There are probably at least a few near you if you're not in the middle of nowhere.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: February 26, 2013, 03:31:20 am »

just checked, nothing really in my area.
Ohh well,  I'm going to be going back to college, (This time for computer Programming) starting in the Fall, so I should meet some programmers then.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:05 am »

I... don't get what you mean. o_O You can't make openGL 3.3 work on your machine?
My laptop has 2 separate graphics cards, a dedicated gaming card supporting OpenGL 4.2 and a small energy-efficient one supporting 3.0. Since there is no stable Linux utility allowing me to access non-default cards, I can only access the 3.0 card from Linux at all. I guess I could try from Windows. By the way, since this needs to run on your computer too, what's your graphics card?

And what's about the 256 bytes vs the 8 bytes?
The 256 bytes are four vertex and four color coordinates for each of the four corners of a terrain quad and a water quad. Tons of avoidable redundancy there.
The 8 bytes are terrain height and water level of a map square.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4001 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:15 am »

valid_dark: What was the bottleneck? O.o

magma: My PC is a Windows 7 x64, with a Radeon 6xxx. Not sure of the exact number. It's a year-ish old.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:10 am »

magma: My PC is a Windows 7 x64, with a Radeon 6xxx. Not sure of the exact number. It's a year-ish old.
Looks like it supports OpenGL 4.0. Should be enough.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 26, 2013, 04:17:32 am »

You want to know what it was? you REALLY want to know what it was?
It was embarrassing, that's what it was.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:58 am »

You want to know what it was? you REALLY want to know what it was?
It was embarrassing, that's what it was.
Please share, we can learn from eachothers mistakes. Or at the very least get a hearty laugh out of em :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 796