Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Towers but no goblins  (Read 1232 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towers but no goblins
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:13 am »

I'm trying to make a world that has necromancer towers but no goblins, but haven't had any luck.  I want the undead invaders but not the goblins.

First I tried getting rid of the evil squares in the map.  When that didn't work I deleted the goblins entirely from the raws.  Now I can't get the towers to show up.

What can I do to get the towers back?  Changed the settings to make more desert spaces, if that matters.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Towers but no goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:06 am »

I believe it's the conflicts that drives dwarves and humans to be necromancers out of fear of death and with corpses to revive. At least I see far more necromancers showing up in more violent worlds.

Could just be concidence for me, though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:45 am »

Goblins have NOTHING to do with necromancer towers.

They are different things. Up the number of secrets, that should help.

If you want no goblins in DF fortress mode, just turn invasions off.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »

hat would also disable undead invasions, wouldn't it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »

I thought that "invasions" governs another civilizations attacking you, and undead are triggered in the same way semimegabeasts/megabeasts are, but I am not 100% sure.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »

I thought that "invasions" governs another civilizations attacking you, and undead are triggered in the same way semimegabeasts/megabeasts are, but I am not 100% sure.

AFAIK, turning invasion off also turns off megabeast/semimegabeast/forgotten beast coming in, too. At least they never shows up in my 100+ fortresses with invasions off in large worlds. And I'd assume ( necromancer ) Tower is a civilization since it shows up on embark screen.

Of course I might be wrong, and just have no luck with the big beasts showing up...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

Invasions allegedly also controls megabeasts and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:13 pm »

If you want more necromancers, give the human and dwarf entities RELIGION_SPHERE:DEATH and/or SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:DEATH:<some large number>.

Necromancers learn from slabs created by gods of death, and those tags will ensure that each civilization has at least one death god and increase the likelihood of any given deity being a death god, respectively.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 06:32:49 pm »

When I get towers I now get several, but it takes a lot of tries to even get the towers.

Any other suggestions?

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »

Longer history and larger worlds, perhaps? (What settings do you have for those right now?) Check your legends; when you don't get towers, is it because there aren't any slabs, because people aren't reading the slabs, or because necromancers just aren't building towers?

AutomataKittay is partially correct in that more wars = more necromancers. Necromancers get their zombies by raising bodies they find on old battlefields, and they need fifty zombies (I think it's fifty) to build a tower. If you aren't having enough battles, the necromancers won't be able to get all the corpses they need.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »

No idea how to make more battles, other than goblins.

I tend to keep my worldgen small.  Got an older computers, so I prefer not doing long worldgens.

Haven't checked that out, and didn't know I could.  I've been aborting worlds without saving them to speed up making the worlds.

I figured it was something like that though   :P

EDIT  There's slabs being claimed, but no towers.  How do I make battles happen without getting invaders?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:17:30 pm by Drawde »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »

Either:
A. Make some minor civs that don't really do much but are hated by everyone...say, a civ of cats.
B. Make peoples' ethics clash more. Dwarves? Everything is unthinkable or acceptable. Humans? Perfectly fine with torture, slavery, and such, but any violations against the state are punishable by death or exile. Elves? Laid-back, but don't you dare harm an animal or plant. Goblins? They're pure evil, everything's fine. Kobolds? Leave them alone, they don't need to be killed off. This should lead to everyone hating everyone for something, and therefore wars.
Sig