Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1276267 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1605 on: December 01, 2013, 06:07:06 pm »

Okay, that looks great. Love your latest "sculpted"-looking stuff, Shook.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And where goes the locust knight shall soon follow his partner Alamura, the mistress of the storm. And she shall set the skies aflame with her magics and cut down all who challenge her dominion over the heavens above.
It's FEF, not FEOF

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:09 am »

I mad a map for my next d&d campaign.
it is the 1st real image i have put much work into and the only part i did not do in gimp is the compass rose.
the coastlines could be better but i am pretty pleased all in all. also sorry for the big picture

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 05, 2013, 09:52:41 am »

it is the 1st real image i have put much work into and the only part i did not do in gimp is the compass rose.
the coastlines could be better but i am pretty pleased all in all. also sorry for the big picture
The general locations and looks of all the land and islands really look like the real world. Especially where Europe and northern Africa would lie.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:53 am »

Looks pretty good, all in all, and attached flavors like the compass rose and the scale work as a great boon (helping a lot while reading the map) but there's still some room for improvement.
Recently I read this piece and has a lot of advice for young fantasy and/or tabletop mapmakers.

Those frontiers seem to be a bit arbitrary, are all those nation-states? Borders between the Khazard and the Qin-Shing look great, as they're based on rivers, mountains and defensible positions, and the Keiringurdy South Utini frontiers look plausible as well. From a simple glance, there's no way to determinate climate or things like that, there are no inner lakes at sight, nor valleys or clustered mountains. Unless I'm overlooking something crucial in your campaign world, which could be shaped like an all-desert wasteland (which would tell why most cities are laid upon rivers and coastlines). I'm just rambling these last lines, by the way.

Some cities also look a bit far apart from themselves. That could work on Amitria, but maybe Etrona should be a bit denser on it's demography, judging by how many nations are sharing the same place. European countries, for their most part, have a lot of cities scattered in small areas.

Hope your game turns out to be great.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 05, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »

thanks for all the feedback. im working on boarders because im not that happy with them, it's supposed to be more of a political map so i didn't include many geographical features.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: December 05, 2013, 05:39:30 pm »

That is spiffy as hell.

Question! Is Photoshop an option for you? There's a few shiny features you could make use of to put some polish on the landscape (mostly elevation, if you use the Saderan strategy, which I'm obliged to endorse at every mapmaking event). I'd recommend CS2, since it's freely available now.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 06, 2013, 03:56:50 am »

I'd recommend CS2, since it's freely available now.

???

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:42 am »

I'd recommend CS2, since it's freely available now.

???

Adobe stopped supporting CS2 and provided serial numbers that will always work for those products (without activation). That was in jan, though, so no telling what it's like now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:34 am »

This should work, once you create an account.

If you prefer not to create an account, there are some other places that are hosting the files that you can find pretty easily through google, which have been up for a while, but I'll not link them in case the alternate hosting is not approved by Adobe. That could still be piracy, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 07, 2013, 09:30:41 am »

Spoiler: A Map! (click to show/hide)
Not the most fantastic of things, but considering it was made in 10 minutes by someone with no experience in image editing software beyond MS paint (me) on a free program (Paint.NET) I'm pretty proud of it. Next step - figure out how to blend the colours smoothly.

Spoiler: EDIT: Map 2! (click to show/hide)
Applied frosted glass scatter and then sharpened it up a bit. Can't decide if this looks better or not.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:40:02 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 07, 2013, 12:45:30 pm »

The first looks much better, imo. The second looks like I took my glasses off and then looked at it again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 07, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »

map 2 just looks like it was saved as a low quality jpeg of the first, tbh. The first is much better.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »

cheers. Following on form the previous map, another wild map appears!
Spoiler: Experimentation ho! (click to show/hide)
used far rougher noise and a separate layer for sea. Not sure either was the best idea.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 07, 2013, 01:09:55 pm »

I'd see if you could ramp the contrast and saturation way down on both the land and sea. Might help a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 845