Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1273949 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6450 on: January 22, 2016, 02:57:33 am »

I still have problems with it.

Free advice: no doubt worth every penny: the scribble background adds no context and makes the whole thing look like you don't give a shit (but that's obviously not true given everything else you've posted). The left (his left) shoulder joint is glaring because almost every other edge on the thing is rounded, but that's boxy, so it draws the eye there immediately. The whole thing's center of gravity is too far forward so it's going to topple over. All of the weight is on the leg attachment joints, as shear stress.

If you didn't want critique, feel free to ignore. I'm never sure if I should post feedback in this thread or not, so I rarely do...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6451 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i see your kag and

URT

I will see you both and raise
Fiab
Bring it

I still have problems with it.
If you didn't want critique, feel free to ignore. I'm never sure if I should post feedback in this thread or not, so I rarely do...

Free advice: no doubt worth every penny: the scribble background adds no context and makes the whole thing look like you don't give a shit (but that's obviously not true given everything else you've posted).

The left (his left) shoulder joint is glaring because almost every other edge on the thing is rounded, but that's boxy, so it draws the eye there immediately. The whole thing's center of gravity is too far forward so it's going to topple over. All of the weight is on the leg attachment joints, as shear stress.
Totally fine with critique. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. Some people don't like feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean. Like, I want people to see my drawings and think they're good, but sometimes I just don't feel like drawing a background (actually I don't think I've EVER drawn a background). I did imagine a scene around the mech, such as it is, but I would've felt bored drawing that instead of the mech.

The shoulder on either side make no fucking sense. There's no way for the upper arm to rotate to a lateral position. If I wanted to come back to this I would change that, and also move the place where the upper leg joint connects to the torso further towards the anterior. But I won't because by the end of it I was bored and wanted to draw something else, and so I have done.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:15:57 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6452 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:38 am »

You can always do like i do and draw things floating in an endless white void, it's clearly the most effective background in terms of cost versus payout. :v

also hi guninbro nice seeing you here again!!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:25 am »

I'm not sure what you mean. Like, I want people to see my drawings and think they're good, but sometimes I just don't feel like drawing a background (actually I don't think I've EVER drawn a background). I did imagine a scene around the mech, such as it is, but I would've felt bored drawing that instead of the mech.

I meant you've put a lot of detail into rendering the other pieces you posted which makes the scribbles seem harsh by comparison. They also don't follow the ground plane (or any plane) which flattens out and detracts from what is otherwise pretty good perspective work on the rest of it. I should say when I use "background" in this sense I'm not talking an Epic Matte Painting or anything. But like... a pile of crates or the corner of a building, combined with a simple horizon line would make a huge difference.

The shoulder on either side make no fucking sense. There's no way for the upper arm to rotate to a lateral position. If I wanted to come back to this I would change that, and also move the place where the upper leg joint connects to the torso further towards the anterior. But I won't because by the end of it I was bored and wanted to draw something else, and so I have done.

Completely with you here. I'm a big fan of quantity over fussing about details for each piece forever.

Edit: forum code is hard wut
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:25:29 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: January 22, 2016, 11:59:25 am »

As Darkmere said, a simple background can go a long way to selling an idea. Especially with things that aren't clear in their use at first glance, placing the mech in an environment that further shows it's use is a really good way to skip writing a bunch of text about it.

And even if you don't want to do that, just making a simple plane and giving it a shadow will go a long way in defining whatever it is you've made.

In any case, figured out what to do with the Jhin theme!
Here's a WIP:
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6455 on: January 22, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »

I meant you've put a lot of detail into rendering the other pieces you posted which makes the scribbles seem harsh by comparison. They also don't follow the ground plane (or any plane) which flattens out and detracts from what is otherwise pretty good perspective work on the rest of it. I should say when I use "background" in this sense I'm not talking an Epic Matte Painting or anything. But like... a pile of crates or the corner of a building, combined with a simple horizon line would make a huge difference.

Completely with you here. I'm a big fan of quantity over fussing about details for each piece forever.
Ohh okay, that totally makes sense. I do gridmaps before I do standing figures now since the first time I tried doing a scene everything was floaty-detached. Ouch. Never letting that happen again.

Yeah drawing a lot of heads is better than drawing one really good head.

Backrounds aren't boring! They're fun cuz even if you fk them up they still usually look decent!
Maybe I'll try one someday if someone challenges me to.

also hi guninbro nice seeing you here again!!
ayyyyyyyyyyyyy

As Darkmere said, a simple background can go a long way to selling an idea. Especially with things that aren't clear in their use at first glance, placing the mech in an environment that further shows it's use is a really good way to skip writing a bunch of text about it.
I'm a big fan of show VS tell. Thank god I'm not making a comic or something that'd turn out shit hahahahHAHAHAHAhahahahaaaa...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6456 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:59 pm »

Doublepost. RIP. well as long as i acknowledge it i will be given a painless death ;v

^^ You can definitely see an improvement, good on you Darkmere! The watermelon (I think it is :p ) in the newest one looks a bit wonky, at the end bit. Keep practicing!

Spoiler: Bit spooky (click to show/hide)

Some ideas I had regarding people's (and by that I mean my) over-reliance and dependence on technology.
Your stuff is so damn good Cheese. I wish I could think of that kind of stuff while I was sitting in class. Maybe it's more apprehension. I'm still not totally comfortable with drawing the stuff I imagine while I'm in public.

I am soooo freakin' proud of myself! I could count the number of horses I've drawn in my life on my fingers, but these came out surprisingly well! They're for a secret-y secret project I'm working on.

A damn good horse if I do say so. All your stuff is very clean and readable. I could do with going for more simplicity when I'm doing pixel art.

The two protagonists of a comic I plan on doing as a hobby. Eos and Aenisse, and their friendly, faithful servo-skull Barabbas.
Either that guy is really big or his bolter is really small.

I don't know how I went from friend wanting me to draw naked vikings to this but hell...
This thing looks way better if you scale it up a bit Hess.

The way it's painted looks very natural. I like it. It's not washed out either, there are some nice, saturated, colored highlights.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:04:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »

Backrounds aren't boring! They're fun cuz even if you fk them up they still usually look decent!
I challenge you to do a background for our comic :V
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6458 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:20 pm »

I challenge you to do a background for our comic :V
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit: Fine. It needs demo-ing anyways and I planned to do storyboards myself so- There are some scenes I already really like and it would be fun to try them out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:08:16 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: January 22, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

I demand to be informed and updated about this comic >:( :p

@Jopax Holy sweet Jesus that's cool. I love the mask and how dynamic it is with the swirls and the smoke. The only thing I could say to improve it would be the arms. They're a bit too short, for me at least.

@Gunin Thanks dude. :) Yeah, I'm gonna get some references for bolters. They're fuckhueg, not peashooters :p

Anyway, as others have said before, make a simple plane to plant it's robot feets in. It'll go a long way.

As for the quantity vs quality thing, it's good to practice by drawing tons of drawings, but you need to be actively practicing something specific (backgrounds, for example) otherwise you're just scribbling on paper. As for drawing in class, just look up once in a while and go ahhh so it looks like you're taking notes :p
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:05 pm »

Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6461 on: January 22, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »

Ooo, very nice! It kind of reminds me of a Boros/Genos hybrid (One Punch Man in case you haven't fallen for that wave already), which is... Well, awesome. :v

I will see you both and raise
Fiab
Bring it
Spoiler: HEH (click to show/hide)

HEH

Very nice hand though, gotta give you that. A shame you couldn't be arsed to draw lefty, but honestly, i can relate to your plight, since i don't exactly enjoy drawing hands. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: January 22, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: January 22, 2016, 11:23:59 pm »

* Tech screams for eternity

Pixel art, animation (even the simplest kind), and character design are a livin g hell slay me
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:30:47 pm by technicallyAdventurer »
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: January 22, 2016, 11:32:47 pm »

You did well. I guess you can die now, just be sure to wake up later.
I always need more art to consume.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 845