Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: m/n where n=0  (Read 7964 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: m/n where n=0
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »

the thing that made it click for me was to instead of asking "why can't I divide by zero?" asking "what actually happens if I try to?", and getting back the set of Everything instead of a number.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »

You don't quite get the "set of everything" IIRC, but rather the set of extended real numbers or whatever it's name is (The union of R and the set containing infinity and -infinity). No mater how many fallacies it does allow, I don't think you can go from the real numbers to the set of all polynomials using a division by 0 fallacy, but feel free to prove me wrong.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

It's less "the answer is everything" and more "a meaningful answer could be anything", as far as I understand it. I'm mostly approaching this from a calculus/limits sort of angle, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »

No no no. X/0= infinity. For years, the joke was always that dividing by zero destroys matter, but really every time you do it, you actually create a whole new universe. So remember, when you are dividing by zero, you become GOD. Dividing a cookie into zero piles gives infinite piles of cookies! Unfortunately, you will never be able to attain them. Godhood is a cruel paradox.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 07:47:39 pm »

Alright math nuts, riddle me this. Does 0/0 = 1?

Take this graph: y = x/x

Now obviously that's a straight horizontal line at y = 1. But what about at x= 0? Is it a hole (which would be true if 0/0 is undefined), or is it 1 (as simplifying x/x to 1 requires it to be true for every value of x)?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »

I believe it's just a hole, because 0/0 is itself an undefined value, and the limits on both sides converge to 1 (so there's none of the usual telltale asymptotic behavior).

I may be wrong on that, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:56 pm »

Or else as 0/n=0 it overrides the undefinedness and sets it as zero.

(I think it's undefined/undefinable[1], but I'm just giving you another possibility given that 0*n=0.)

[1]fakeedit: Yep, wot Vector sed.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:05 pm »

However, note that the operation "multiply by 0" is not injective (1*0=0=2*0), and it is not surjective (0*X=0 for all X). If an inverse were to exist, it could be be defined for any non-zero X (as there would be no Y such that Y*0=X). Furthermore, an inverse cannot be defined for zero, since it is not injective as zero (There are multiple numbers X such that X*0=0, so how do we know which one to give for 0/0?), and therefore an inverse to dividing by zero does not exist anywhere.

Now obviously that's a straight horizontal line at y = 1. But what about at x= 0? Is it a hole (which would be true if 0/0 is undefined), or is it 1 (as simplifying x/x to 1 requires it to be true for every value of x)?
The function you described would be equivalent to 1, except where x=0.

When x=0, the instruction "y=x/x" doesn't make any sense, and so we cannot find a value of y at x=0.

In theory, the graph would be a horizontal line with a gap in it where x=0. However, in practice, drawing such a line would be impossible, but that is to do with the structure of the graph and not with the maths behind it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:45 pm »

You can't derive "0/0 = 1" from the fact that it seems to equal 1 in one specific case. Hell, the most obvious example here: y = 2x/x would make it seem like 0/0 = 2. And y = x2/x would make it seem like 0/0 = 0. This is without even really getting into limits, per se. Here's more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form#Discussion

I believe it's just a hole, because 0/0 is itself an undefined value, and the limits on both sides converge to 1 (so there's none of the usual telltale asymptotic behavior).

I may be wrong on that, though.

Yes, you can tell it's a removable discontinuity (hole) because you can algebraically manipulate the original function to something equivalent that doesn't have the whole. y = 1 and y = x/x are equivalent aside from that one hole, in this case.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »

Fair enough.

Just something that popped into my head. I haven't had a math class in about 5 years now (sometimes I wish I could remember calculus... it completely left me after my final exam in that class).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:24 pm »

Let me give you a more practical example. You have, say, 10 of your largest denomination coins, whatever they are. Dollars, probably. To divide by 2, you'd arrange them into two piles, giving 5 in each. 10/2=5. Now try to divide them into 0 piles.
This is the real magic mathamagicians should be doing, none of this "oooooohhh, this number is now over HERE!" silliness. A wave of the hands and a tap of a piece of chalk and your money is now in zero equal piles. He then produces the last digit of pi from his or her sleeve.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

He then produces the last digit of pi from his or her sleeve.

I'm going to be awkward and demand that he produces the penultimate digit. :)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »

This is the real magic mathamagicians should be doing, none of this "oooooohhh, this number is now over HERE!" silliness. A wave of the hands and a tap of a piece of chalk and your money is now in zero equal piles. He then produces the last digit of pi from his or her sleeve.

hope you don't mind if I sig this.

Also note that HE can produce a digit from HIS OR HER sleeve, this suggests that the mathmagicians current gender is a wavefunction that has yet to be collapsed. Or he has an assistant.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »

Or that I caught the ambiguity of my statement only there and didn't want to backspace to my previous use of a gender term on a tablet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 04:37:37 am »

No no no. X/0= infinity.

Too bad infinity works pretty badly with finite numbers...

For example, for finite numbers x + 1 > x is true without exception. When dealing with infinities though, you'll get situations like ∞ + 1 = ∞, and ∞ + ∞ = ∞ and so on.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4