Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677997 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1545 on: April 22, 2016, 12:27:21 pm »

Personally, I'm still talking in the context of Stellaris, and a galaxy with a sizeable number of species experimenting with artificial intelligence.

An AI in an isolated box would be nice and safe to study in a theoretical, pressure-free context, but I'm not sure just how practically useful it would be, in the end. Perhaps for very specific, very restricted purposes.

As I said earlier, you can't simultaneously impose very high security and be able to take anywhere near full advantage of an advanced AI. You're toying with a very delicate balance between safety and effectiveness, and eventually someone will get greedy/reckless. And there's also the matter that unpredictability would increase with complexity, and it'd become progressively more difficult to keep an ever-advancing AI shackled.

There are many possible scenarios, but I'm picturing a corporate/government environment: the organization has heavily invested in the AI project, but it's being conservative as far as security is concerned. Perhaps too conservative, someone with decision-making power thinks: the project is costly and it's not producing enough results. It could be axed, but then all the investment would've been for naught, and there are reports of competitors having better success. Or perhaps there's no competition, but there's pressure to keep developing and advancing. The technicians would complain, but there's jobs on the line, and the executives' minds are on profit and results rather than the theoretical dangers of loosening security.

Again, good points.  Here's the rub, no civilization that can benefit from possession of said AI can possibly implement the revisions the AI can develop at the speed at which the AI can evolve them.  So there is no purpose to giving it 'optimal' information and access, because by the time the first set of improvements have been implemented, it has iterated many generations further.  Really, you would want it to be as isolated as possible, forcing it to work in a vacuum and allowing it only the information it needs, as that is by far the best environment for it to creatively solve problems.

Also, only complete morons would allow corporate interests to control such an AI without direct government oversight, there is a reason that r&d teams like skunkworks etc. have military security.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:29:42 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 22, 2016, 01:15:49 pm »

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36:48 pm »

rationalwiki.org/wiki/AI-box_experiment
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 22, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »

All I'm getting from this AI box thing is: AI naturally wants to be free?

The obvious solution is to limit AI learning/updates to a schedule where it can be lazily scanned over and be observed at least a little after the changes are made.  Rigorous review complete!
There is also the issue of debugging.  You got complex programming changing itself to be better/smarter.  AI is gonna get up to weird shit every now and then... even weirder if you let it update/learn by itself on the fly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 22, 2016, 03:00:44 pm »

can we just end this AI discussion with a link to Superintelligence and move on to the biome debate

Does it matter that every planet has 100% the same biomes? How is "continental" a biome anyway?

Would it really be crazy if an "arid" world had minority of non-arid tiles? Would this even require changes to the GUI?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 22, 2016, 03:16:31 pm »

Yeah, the planet system is really oversimplified. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but I bet it's something that will eventually get a DLC (though probably an underwhelming one which doesn't do enough to fix the problem).

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 22, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »

can we just end this AI discussion with a link to Superintelligence and move on to the biome debate

Does it matter that every planet has 100% the same biomes? How is "continental" a biome anyway?

Would it really be crazy if an "arid" world had minority of non-arid tiles? Would this even require changes to the GUI?
Most 4x games I've played have utilized "continental" or an equivalent as a synonym for "Earth-like." That seems to be how it's being used here, and while understandable from a development and gameplay standpoint, it's not particularly realistic. Any planet that could be labeled as terrestrial would house multiple differing regional environments, I would think.

Yeah, the planet system is really oversimplified. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but I bet it's something that will eventually get a DLC (though probably an underwhelming one which doesn't do enough to fix the problem).
Overhaul mods to the rescue!
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 22, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

Well, planets can have varying types of terrain that at a minimum appear to govern yields (Dev Diary 9).  I wonder if it might not be possible in mods to extend that to govern local habitability as well, which could represent varying biomes on the planet itself or even (as in MOO3, which sprang immediately to mind) moons or other natural satellites. 

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 22, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »

Most 4x games I've played have utilized "continental" or an equivalent as a synonym for "Earth-like." That seems to be how it's being used here, and while understandable from a development and gameplay standpoint, it's not particularly realistic. Any planet that could be labeled as terrestrial would house multiple differing regional environments, I would think.

I thought that too but then I saw "Gaia" is explicitly explained as "planet with all the biomes at different latitudes" - ie, Earth-like.

Is continental just supposed to be "European-like" then?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 22, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »

I thought that too but then I saw "Gaia" is explicitly explained as "planet with all the biomes at different latitudes" - ie, Earth-like.

If MoO2 is anything to go by, "Gaia" isn't just Earth-like. It's a "paradise" world, a step further in habitability. If such a thing is possible for human beings.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 22, 2016, 03:59:47 pm »

There's plenty of Earth which is only marginally habitable, unusable for farming, or just expensive to live in comfortably in a modern civilization (e.g. Snow and freezing temperatures seasonally, or deadly hot temperatures with low rainfall).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 22, 2016, 04:01:46 pm »

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 22, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »

If MoO2 is anything to go by, "Gaia" isn't just Earth-like. It's a "paradise" world, a step further in habitability. If such a thing is possible for human beings.

Indeed, all the pictures I've seen of tiles on Gaia worlds seem to be warm and tropical, or at least mostly tropical.

There's plenty of Earth which is only marginally habitable, unusable for farming, or just expensive to live in comfortably in a modern civilization (e.g. Snow and freezing temperatures seasonally, or deadly hot temperatures with low rainfall).

Ah, so the devs might be omitting particularly uninhabitable regions. (Forget those tundra dwellers, no North Pole for them :P)
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 22, 2016, 05:53:00 pm »

That "gaia" description is a lie. It has 100% habitability everywhere for everyone.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 632