Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678047 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3045 on: July 16, 2016, 04:50:53 pm »

Collectivist? No... It's a quote by John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged.

You need individualist and materialist for it.

Citation: reddit post by some nutty objectivist person.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:52:32 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:03 pm »

Was referring to the Stellaris requirement to be able to say that line.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:50 pm »

Which is not collectivist. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: July 16, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »

Yeah but I'm pretty sure you just said that it's from atlas shrugged. (And edited the other stuff in after the fact?) It seemed like you thought I was talking about something completely different than required traits, and not just pointing out that I had the wrong trait.
Whatever; doesn't matter now.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »

I just wanted a source for what I edited in before I was willing to put it in, and didn't want to double-post (The forums didn't bother to tell me that anyone had replied when I submitted the edited post, or I'd have put it in a reply instead.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: July 16, 2016, 06:44:32 pm »

Thanks, I figured it was a quote from something I should probably kind of recognize.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: July 17, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »

So I meant to ask this earlier, but has any one else been having a strange thing where a nation with no diplomatic relation to yours tries to declare a war with someone (you also have no diplomatic relationship with) and asks for you to vote on whether or not they can go to war?  It has happened on two separate saves for me since the big update.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: July 17, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »

So I meant to ask this earlier, but has any one else been having a strange thing where a nation with no diplomatic relation to yours tries to declare a war with someone (you also have no diplomatic relationship with) and asks for you to vote on whether or not they can go to war?  It has happened on two separate saves for me since the big update.
Yeah, I've seen it happen. One thing I noticed is that in every single case they have the same ethos as you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »

I've had a couple cases where that wasn't the case, once it was a group of fanatical purifiers who kept asking my materialist/warlike/individualists for permission to fight some capitalists, it was weird.   Maybe it has something to do with my typically extremely overblown military power.  Sometimes I feel like I'm being deferred to by other nations, which would be cool, but it is probably a bug somewhere.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3054 on: July 18, 2016, 01:30:36 am »

Yeah that's pretty annoying, hopefully it's toned down next patch
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: July 18, 2016, 12:14:32 pm »

I've had loads of people ask me to vote on a war. Not because it was a glitch, but they wanted me to join the war with them. Almost always the only thing I'd get from it is me humiliating the enemy, or the liberation of a single planet.

Yeah that's pretty annoying, hopefully it's toned down next patch

I always felt like they were trying to get you to join because they're weak and you're stronk, but yeah, they should probably try actually offering something worth anything.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: July 18, 2016, 12:42:22 pm »

I've had loads of people ask me to vote on a war. Not because it was a glitch, but they wanted me to join the war with them. Almost always the only thing I'd get from it is me humiliating the enemy, or the liberation of a single planet.

Yeah, this is what's going on. Random empires asking you to join their war, just like you can ask other empires to join yours. The UI doesn't do a very good job of explaining that, and since it uses the exact some pop-up window as the alliance vote it seems like a glitch to a lot of people.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:39 pm »

Yeah, this is what's going on. Random empires asking you to join their war, just like you can ask other empires to join yours. The UI doesn't do a very good job of explaining that, and since it uses the exact some pop-up window as the alliance vote it seems like a glitch to a lot of people.

Yeah I think they've just not made the AI think enough about how likely or not you are to join distant wars like that  - it seems strange as they seem to have a 'not diplomatically relevant' modifier for the AI, so you'd think they'd be able to detect if you'd be interested or not (even based on distance). It also doesn't really make sense for the AI to offer you humiliation or liberation, as they're not really anything the player would care about really.

I think it's one of those things that'll get worked out eventually, it's just a bit of a teething process with the AI as they add in more diplomatic options.

I have to say, I'm enjoying 1.2.1 a hell of a lot more than I did at launch, I think it'll be pretty great after two or three more updates.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: July 18, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »

I've used Liberation a few times. Doesn't it spawn an empire with your ethos? If your opponent is small enough, you can liberate their whole empire into a different one that matches your ethics perfectly.

It's very America.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: July 18, 2016, 08:54:39 pm »

I've used Liberation a few times. Doesn't it spawn an empire with your ethos? If your opponent is small enough, you can liberate their whole empire into a different one that matches your ethics perfectly.

It's very America.
?

I can't think of a single time America has managed this in history.

The closest they've ever got to something like that is Japan and I think many people would agree with me when I say they got a little bit... Odd, after the nukes.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 632