Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1682572 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4830 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:29 am »

Most people I've talked to (including myself) don't have much use for influence. It basically stays maxed for most of the game, except perhaps at the very end when you're spamming habitats everywhere. As such they'd prefer the various boosts from agendas instead of +2.0~ influence each month.
What, you don't build outpost? That much extra influence lets you expand like crazy.

It kinda seems bugged, though. The mandate screen shows something like 80-160 inf for fulfilling, but I always get 250. And are there even any  other mandates than build more mines/research stations? 'Cause these are the only ones I ever get.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:56 pm »

Most people I've talked to (including myself) don't have much use for influence. It basically stays maxed for most of the game, except perhaps at the very end when you're spamming habitats everywhere. As such they'd prefer the various boosts from agendas instead of +2.0~ influence each month.
What, you don't build outpost? That much extra influence lets you expand like crazy.

It kinda seems bugged, though. The mandate screen shows something like 80-160 inf for fulfilling, but I always get 250. And are there even any  other mandates than build more mines/research stations? 'Cause these are the only ones I ever get.
IIRC you USED to get varying amounts of influence. They probably forgot to update it.

Outpost my ass, there are edicts that give you 20% more food/unity/all kinds of stuff.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: May 23, 2017, 02:38:04 pm »

Outpost my ass, there are edicts that give you 20% more food/unity/all kinds of stuff.
Per planet. Except when I get a planet with really weird modifiers, I usually don't find it useful. I mean, I could spend 50-120 influence to get +5-10 mineral income for 10 years. yay.
I feel like the edicts basically don't mater, except when you make a build for them (with civics and modded traditions).
I prefer to recruit many governors, until I get some with nice bonuses (Intellectual for my sectors because they boost the research stations, and cheap builders for my new colonies).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: May 23, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »

It's great early on. One of them is 20% faster growth.

In the early phases where I have 3-4 planets, it's invaluable.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4834 on: May 23, 2017, 03:38:54 pm »

I generally have nothing to spend influence on by the midgame. I've expanded to what I can without using force by then and stabilized my economy so I just use it on edicts whenever it fills up. It's kind of a chore really

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »

I tend to collect puppet civilizations when I have influence to spare. Spread outposts on primitives, uplift, repeat. Edicts would be more useful if we could choose to auto-repeat them or there'd be an option for a popup when one runs out. I tend to have a couple of focused research planets, where the spirit of science is really useful. (Combined with intellectual governor, observatory starport and assisting science ship.)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:50 pm »

5-10 minerals for ten years is like 600-1200 minerals. It's a slow conversion process, but trading 100~ influence for that is a pretty good deal.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: May 23, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »

Using capacity overload on Habitat stations you've outfitted JUST to produce electricity produces rather impressive dividends.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4838 on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:20 pm »

I just really wish there was a notification when they end, or a way to auto-renew

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:33 pm »

I just really wish there was a notification when they end, or a way to auto-renew

This. They're useful, but kind of annoyingly set up right now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4840 on: May 24, 2017, 12:02:39 pm »

Was wondering why the AI was so weak in this update. Even on high difficulty they stagnate and never get anywhere after the midgame.

Turns out it's because they randomly terraform their worlds back and forth as soon as they unlock the tech for it. The empire I'm fighting right now was an arctic race. They've terraformed their homeworld to arid and it's half empty with the pops moving away. I checked another neighbor race and they changed their homeworld from ocean to alpine.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4841 on: May 24, 2017, 12:13:23 pm »

So back to playing Stellaris blind, having not seen how much stuff has been added hither and thither. First impression: Already better, but to my absolute dismay they removed the Grand Mausoleum D:
I had so much fun shortening the lifespan of my Divine Rulers in order to turn a pristine world into an entombed world, populated by billions of starving pilgrims maintaining the generations of divine galactic rulers buried upon layers of layers of mausoleums :[

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4842 on: May 24, 2017, 03:47:24 pm »

Haha, a neighboring empire attacked me to conquer my systems, and included an ally from across the map with the only benefit to them being to humiliate me for the influence bonus. I set my demands as making them both my tributary.

Before the ally even gets his ships over to help I crush the attacker's fleet and capture his homeworld. The ally's fleet showed up and is 60k, fielding jump drives and giga cannons and other top tier tech, to my remaining 40k. The attacker offers peace. His concession? I can make his ally my tributary.

So now his ally is my tributary despite having a fleet 50% bigger than mine and never even having faced off in battle.

The AI sure do like throwing their buddies under the bus.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: May 24, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »

Oh god, when you put it like that I realize just how unrealistic all of Paradox's peace negotiation systems are.

No wonder their most popular series is the one where wars have only 4 possible outcomes and 3 of them are always the same.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: May 24, 2017, 03:58:31 pm »

I'm actually a bit in love with the War Demand system. I think it could use some refinement, but I REALLY like the concept. Wars of humiliation are some of my favorites.

You've issued a diplomatic insult? Let me adjust that attitude of yours...

Again, my basis for 4x is SoTS, which has second-to-none battle-scale tactics and ship design, but is a bit sub par on the diplomacy front, so I'm hard to please with combat but easy to please on diplomacy.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 632