Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1682536 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5055 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:59 pm »

Crap, more I play, the more fundamental bugs/issues I notice.  Its similar to CKII. 

Now I see that a number of those fixes are coming in next update.  I have a nice game full of purifiers and other similar crazies too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5056 on: July 12, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »

A pity that habitats are... indestructible?  (Or is it?)
They're destructible if you are a belligerent foe, as you can destroy habitats with a wargoal. As these xenos enclaves are independent factions, you can destroy them if you want (but why would you want to kill these defenceless xenos?)

@Loud Whispers: That is brilliant and I kinda want to do that now.
Thanks!

Update on the enclaves, so far I have two of them. The first is led by the Ugarlak, a species of proletariat industrialists who command 5 habitats and total 60 xenos pops. Sharing their Empire with one molluscoid and one plantoid species, the Ugarlak formed a peaceful, if brutally authoritarian police state - with a grand bureaucracy quelling any dissent from the plantoid pacifists and molluscoid industrialists.

The second was considerably more intricate in its experimentation. Its founding pops came from the Ekwynian Empire, a race of mammalian xenophiles who formed a close relationship with the neighbouring moth-people called the Naftkanians, and themselves formed the southern frontier of a grand federation that was particularly concerned with destroying my Imperial lineage, and replacing it with a democratic regime. Honestly I was rather content to let them be, but they continued expanding and wouldn't let my ships through a northern pass to protect my protectorates. As the southern route was cut off by my hiveminded ally turning into a devouring swarm, I had to declare my first ever war to secure this route. The war was successful, seizing the minimal planets required (only 2), and all of the Ekwynian planets on my border were liberated under a new regime. Unfortunately this new regime became fanatical purifiers, and all of the worlds which were inhabited by a multicultural population were plunged into civil war as this fanatical regime tried to exterminate them - resulting in a split between the East Ekwynian and West Ekwynian Empires.

Thus, with pops subsumed from other peacefully assimilated Empires, the second enclave was born. This one contained 5 species in total, only they were so unique as to be all sub-species of other species. Thus there were 8 variants of pops all in this enclave, with some having latent psionic abilities unlocked by my ascended species. Once that enclave was given independence, they began developing as a theocratic monarchy of mechanist scientists, the Ekwynian species being an altogether intelligent race of physicists engineered by us to be natural researchers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before long they began their path to technological singularity, consolidating their subspecies through cybernetic enhancement. Crazily, this included some pops who possessed latent psionic potential, becoming cyborgs with latent psionic energy.

To compound matters, a single Ekwynian pop remained under my control, this one unlocking its full psionic potential to become the only fully psionic Ekwynian pop in the galaxy. Neither West Ekwynia nor East Ekwynia has developed full psionic potential. Thus, I am thinking, if a third enclave is hosted by the sole psionic Ekwynian community... Can the materialist and spiritualist transcendence paths be reconciled? Amusingly, the single psionic Ekwynian I have is called the Ultra-Ekwynian Superior. It has gotten a bit mad with power.

Can these xenos enclaves create machines with true souls, more connected to the shroud than most of the living? Rather tragically, after I conquered those two planets, three Empires I previously had peaceful relations with grew threatened and cut off their borders to me. I now have to absorb even more Empires, which shall at the least, mean I have more test subjects to see if it is possible to create the Ultra-Mega-Ekwynian Superior

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »

Meanwhile, the last interesting thing to happen to Karne in a video game was Casey McAnthony killing her baby over a pick back about 5 years ago.

Keep going LW, I follow your story with bated breath (and rustled jimmies)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:55 am »

I've seen the light.  Missiles are just bad in everywhere possible. 

... Well, they are mildly ok if they are part of a military station defense network, but only cause my current enemies don't have pd/flak and they get off more attacks cause range. 

Plus that 1 military station they spawn on top of being closer, but then I'm better off with other weapons there cause instant damage is still better then waiting 5 days for my missiles to maybe hit that.

Facing off against fleets with more then just corvettes/destroyers?   Equal-ish power rating?  Overwhelming loss.

Which also explains why starport missiles are so lethal against muh corvettes.  They got swarm setting so they sitting right on top of the starport.  Less then a day travel time, which is less pd opportunities for my frigates.

A pity that habitats are... indestructible?  (Or is it?)
They're destructible if you are a belligerent foe, as you can destroy habitats with a wargoal. As these xenos enclaves are independent factions, you can destroy them if you want (but why would you want to kill these defenceless xenos?)
Maybe cause I don't like where the habitat is located. 
All the justification I need.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:49:38 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: July 13, 2017, 10:31:01 am »

Dev Diary #77 - Ethics Voice Packs

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5060 on: July 13, 2017, 11:32:53 am »

Keep going LW, I follow your story with bated breath (and rustled jimmies)
The third enclave did it. After much patience, they succeeded in creating the NEO-MEGA EKWYNIAN SUPERIOR

ALL PSIONIC POTENTIAL UNLOCKED
ALL GENETIC POTENTIAL UNLOCKED
CYBERNETIC ENHANCEMENTS IMPLANTED

Upon the success of the first enclaves I had made it my mission to collect the rarest xenos specimens, preserved for all time in my paradise habitat enclaves, distrusting the foreign federations to keep the peace and preserve galactic life. Three centuries of work and effort, bringing all of these xenos willingly (at least, mostly), into the peaceful perfection of my inescapable Empire. With baited breath I watched, my immortal leaders patrolling and observing their data banks and orbiting habitats, watching with concern and intrigue as the species modified themselves with cybernetic implants. We could not have known they would do this.

They called themselves the supravex. Synthetics, machine bodies with artificial personalities uploaded, copies taken from the minds of the soulful creatures they once belonged to. Every species was annihilated at once, my once diverse and unique collection of the cosmos's most endangered species eradicated overnight. Thus they destroyed their souls in one swift movement, their link to the shroud gone, all lost and replaced by the calculated shambling of automata. The Neo-Mega Ekwynian Superior, the sole existing pop in the galaxy too, was amongst the ashes.
So proud and so foolish were these religious mechanists. It had perhaps been better for them to have been devoured by the Jhoolian Swarm long ago. Now the doom is fulfilled, and their warrior drones fly forth from their habitat - they will be disassembled, and this calamity completed.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »

Their scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should!!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »

Artificial life uh, uh, uh, finds a way.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: July 13, 2017, 12:54:19 pm »

They achieved perfection beyond perfection.  And then discarded it like trash.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: July 13, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the dogs of war quote, loathe as I am to agree with Youtube.

Different VIR will be nice though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: July 13, 2017, 06:32:22 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the dogs of war quote, loathe as I am to agree with Youtube.

Different VIR will be nice though.
Yeah. That militarist was more like a Warhammer-esque Chaos cultist ("Blood for the Blood God!") than an actual member of the military. So I'm guessing the spiritualist one will go off about Deus Vult.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: July 13, 2017, 07:09:19 pm »

That ain't a Khornate, dude. She wasn't screaming, for one.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »

Yeah. That militarist was more like a Warhammer-esque Chaos cultist ("Blood for the Blood God!") than an actual member of the military. So I'm guessing the spiritualist one will go off about Deus Vult.

Yeah, given the nature of combat in Stellaris, that much aggression doesn't say "An appreciation of warfare is a core tenet of our culture" to me. Rather, it says "I have been chained to my captain's chair after yet another attempt to fire myself out the airlock at our enemy with swords drawn."

Sure, it's crazy, but I don't think it's the right kind of crazy for a world where most combat involves plotting a firing solution at a tiny speck millions of kilometers away before they kill you with physics. "Let slip the target motion analysis algorithms of protracted long-range bombardment" lacks the same ring, though.

If you were to encapsulate Stellaris-style militarism in a set of phrases, I'd perhaps try for overconfident pugnacity rather than enthusiastic bloodthirst. Like having them alert you of a war declaration by saying "another species has asked to die by our hand" or something, the sort of thing you could read as either viscera-munching blood simplicity or supreme self-esteem depending on how you saw your militarists.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: July 13, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »

To be fair, it was one line, and it was playing over a close-in battle.

It might also only be for *fanatic* militarists, which would probably be closer to the sentiment.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: July 13, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »

I mean there's *technically* ground combat, it just isn't very complicated or likely to matter from what I saw.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 632