Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 99898 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #690 on: March 03, 2019, 06:04:13 pm »

That's odd. Building Infrastructure does increase the resources in a province, but you should still have more rubber than you started with. Is this before and after the peace deal?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 03, 2019, 06:16:01 pm »

What about damage? Damage to infrastructure will reduce the amount of resources you will extract.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 03, 2019, 08:07:20 pm »

I picked up HoI4 today+DLCs. I enjoy Victoria 2 and Europa Universalis 4 (both I still play quite a lot and both some of my top played games on steam), so I don't see why this will be any different.

Plus designing ships and what not sounds really cool from post above.

And...that is all I have for this post lol. I got it installed, but I know if its like vic 2/EU4, I'll need quite a bit of time aside to start it up+to learn the game. But I'm excited to sit down and play HoI4 tonight :)

For when I start the game. Any nations that are fun to play that would also be good to learn on? That isn't the US, since its apparently infinite fuel/oil in the new DLC, and probably be too easy for my liking, though it probably be a ton to manage anyway being such a big nation so probably hard in that aspect. My victoria 2 game, I've been playing as India, in EU4 I liked byzantines and the india nations. But I'm pretty sure byzantines don't exist in HoI4, but suppose there is a mod for everything :P

Turkey.  You're positioned to be able to affect any side you so desire (using democratic reformer to join the Allies and push in through Southern Europe and help out Africa, using fascist to take the opposite direction to invade the middle-east and also invade the Soviets from the south, or Communist to deploy on the Eastern front and, again, fight up through southern Europe) and the generic focus tree can prove to be quite useful.  For naval stuff, you can experiment in the Meditteranian and Black Sea, possibly doing stuff like naval invading Romania, Greece, or Egypt.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:10:19 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 03, 2019, 08:46:58 pm »

That's odd. Building Infrastructure does increase the resources in a province, but you should still have more rubber than you started with. Is this before and after the peace deal?

It seemed like, I'm guessing it did go up but I wasn't paying attention.
Shoes...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:07 pm »

It seemed like, I'm guessing it did go up but I wasn't paying attention.
Well, you also get resources if you occupy a province, so if you're looking at it before and after the peace deal it wouldn't change if you were occupying the province.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 04, 2019, 01:09:49 am »

Had a random bug where my synthetic refineries stopped giving oil- or stopped saying they did.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 05, 2019, 07:32:03 pm »

might be the first paradox game I need to actually watch someone play

CK2/Vic 2/EU4 I just figured it out on my own.

But really confused about battles. In vic 2 and EU4 I guess I'm used to civ 4 style doomstacks and not really caring about unit composition (at least as far as player vs AI goes).

This, much more complicated. Doomstacks don't seem to be the thing, and I lose a ton of my fights. This seems more like unit "squads" are more important with specialized squads/armies. Or maybe it can be played with doomstacks? I know there is unit spacing thing (name escapes me for some reason of what its actually called) in battles with how many their can be fighting.

But in any case, it seems a lot different than vic 2/EU4 in how battles work. Gonna take a lot of learning, but I'll probably just see Quill18 plays with the newest expansion. Since he has some videos up now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #697 on: March 05, 2019, 08:39:25 pm »

The problem is that they don't seem to reinforce properly but I think it might be some kind of mismatch error. I'll experiment with it some more if it's really as easy as that.
so I found that if I don't specify a ship type (one of the icons indicating a role, such as shield or guns or plane) then the system will not reinforce at all but as long as I set a type in the composition editor it does fine.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 05, 2019, 09:06:19 pm »

Which I am doing. And the ships do have that role set. It's really weird.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 05, 2019, 09:11:27 pm »

if you have more than one fleet selected  they have a little button to the right of the list with "3 little ships?" something... click that, think you can set what to reinforce that fleet to in that menu then.
like 2cv, 4 cruisers, 12 destroyers... etc...  and then these numbers show under the numbers what the fleet has and then they should grab from the reserve and fill to what you have set? if there i.e. "gun icon destroyers" avaiable or so

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:40 pm »

I decided to try France.  Did better?  Worse?  I dunno.  We lost to Italy, which might mean we did worse cause Germany didn't have to roll in.  We were holding them reasonably at the extended Maginot line and then Italy rolled up and we just capitulated, no choice on my end.
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:03 am »

Yeah, France at that point in time has a super weak government. Capitulation happens after losing... maybe a third of your cities? Normally it should be much harder.
The good news is that the French-italian border is not terrible to hold either. I'd start producing mountaineers and shoving them in there, as that's mainly what Italy will be fielding against you down there. Tanks and mountains do not mix.
Ah, super special pro-tip (now that I'm replaying it in order to figure out what goes where), the Italian and Extended Manginot policies add 2 to the fort level of the forts in an area- and the construction time of forts increases exponentially with how high you get them - so I'd personally avoid taking those until you've already gotten those forts up as high as you dare. I went 5 on each, but also I'm getting my teeth kicked in so who knows.

Edit: Also a lot of manual shuffling of units on the line will need to be done.
Edit 2: Also it never hurts to set a fallback line, rather than a front line. It's a little more rigid.
Edit 3: I've cut the mountaineers back to a 20-wide unit (extra-tip, multiples of 20 is best for combat width) and put another 24 troopers on that border and wow is that a messed up zone. Can definitely understand the Italy troubles.
That being said the low manpower means I've had to basically make a unit of 50-50 infantry and artillery with one anti-tank slapped on.

That's not to say it isn't possible to win as France post-capitulation (after all, the french did), but for it to be a relatively interesting game you'd want to offload a lot of your civilian construction to Algeria and SE asia.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:30:42 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 07, 2019, 07:50:34 pm »

Its been awhile, but I think I held out as France by going Communist and joining the Comintern, so Germany going to war with me meant they were at war with the Soviet Union at the same time.
Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 25, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »

But really confused about battles. In vic 2 and EU4 I guess I'm used to civ 4 style doomstacks and not really caring about unit composition (at least as far as player vs AI goes).

This, much more complicated. Doomstacks don't seem to be the thing, and I lose a ton of my fights. This seems more like unit "squads" are more important with specialized squads/armies. Or maybe it can be played with doomstacks? I know there is unit spacing thing (name escapes me for some reason of what its actually called) in battles with how many their can be fighting.

But in any case, it seems a lot different than vic 2/EU4 in how battles work. Gonna take a lot of learning, but I'll probably just see Quill18 plays with the newest expansion. Since he has some videos up now.
Everyone uses infantry as their basic unit because they're super efficient, once a front fills up so no more infantry will fit then factions start adding advanced units and that's where the real decision making is.  Since most of your opposition will be infantry killing them is your main task (unsupported vehicles will accomplish little).  Anything faster than infantry can punch through their lines and then encircle them, cutting them off from supply and eventually forcing a surrender if they can't be rescued.  Alternately, artillery kills infantry and other "soft" targets really well with no need to encircle them so that's another way to defeat infantry.

Planes are a similar story.  Your basic task is getting air superiority, especially if you're attacking.  So fighters are the infantry of the air.  The big difference is that instead of being limited by the size of a front, the amount of planes that is useful is limited by how many airstrips you have in the area to host planes, so it might be a very different number for each side.

Naval units are... honestly, don't go out of your way to get them unless you have a specific purpose in mind.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 26, 2019, 01:23:15 am »

Everyone uses infantry as their basic unit because they're super efficient, once a front fills up so no more infantry will fit then factions start adding advanced units and that's where the real decision making is.  Since most of your opposition will be infantry killing them is your main task (unsupported vehicles will accomplish little).  Anything faster than infantry can punch through their lines and then encircle them, cutting them off from supply and eventually forcing a surrender if they can't be rescued.  Alternately, artillery kills infantry and other "soft" targets really well with no need to encircle them so that's another way to defeat infantry.

Planes are a similar story.  Your basic task is getting air superiority, especially if you're attacking.  So fighters are the infantry of the air.  The big difference is that instead of being limited by the size of a front, the amount of planes that is useful is limited by how many airstrips you have in the area to host planes, so it might be a very different number for each side.

Naval units are... honestly, don't go out of your way to get them unless you have a specific purpose in mind.

Holy shit this makes the combat and army composition waaaaaaaaay more understandable and singlehandedly makes me want to play again. Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 51