Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chronicles of Enomon, the Legendary Realms  (Read 2642 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Enomon, the Legendary Realms
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:50 am »

Late Spring, 258.

At the temple grounds, the north and west dolmen are complete, with an iron capstone laid across the stone pillars. 

A first floor of the central shrine is completed and dedicated, and orcs begin to visit the site to meditate on strength, freedom, or the holy sky; or to honor their favorites in the pantheon.  Workers dig a series of channels from the temple to the Blood Marsh to properly irrigate the temple grounds.

The fortress itself is still pretty utilitarian, although gradually we're adding some private rooms and other luxuries.  Ramping up wargear production and training.  Since our population is growning and we're so close to several human cities and the dwarven Brewery expedition, I can only assume we'll be a target sooner or later.  In the past year a lot of our iron has gone towards furnishings of various kinds for the temple, so we expand the furnace floor and ramp up the mining and woodburning industry to try to keep pace. We also start production of some second rate equipment; copper spears and maces, gem-studded macuahuitl and lamellar leather armor at the Orcish warcrafter, all of which will be serviceable enough gear for sparring at least.

Another fatality due to wildlife -- a furnace operator bitten by a pit viper while hauling timber cut from the marsh.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 03:47:03 am »

Hi Immortal-D! 

I don't have a lot of experience with adventure mode tbh; can you give me a quick primer on what could I do that would start wars?  I usually just accept a quest at random and then wander off to die of thirst or get eaten by a crocodile.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:19 am »

There are a few tricks that I know.  First, the civs have to be relatively close.  A distance of more than half a continent, and you probly won't get any action.  Second, don't start as a Demi God, it seems to interfere with counting as a legitimate civ action (divine intervention, essentially).  I recommend starting as a Hearthsperson, at the most.  Lastly; focus on murdering the nobility and other leaders, maybe try claiming a site or two, though you can still kill all the random townspeople along the way.  Then retire the adventurer and do the same thing for the other civ.  That will usually generate enough animosity for war, but no promises.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

Midsummer, 258.

Well, interesting.  Our military have been training mostly with chopping weapons, and have only a couple of the spears you'd prefer to use to finish off a big beast like a giant.  Still, they're skilled enough, and they've not much choice but to engage if we want to avoid a bloodbath.  Both our shaman are out at the temple, the caravan is arriving, and our hunters and woodcutters are cut off from the fort.

Spoiler: "Aerial view" (click to show/hide)

Construction continues.  A small tavern is added to the fortress

Spoiler: "Medicine" (click to show/hide)

Mottled Petrel is developing a medical specialty.  (Is this an illness from the blood marsh?  in any case it doesn't seem terribly widespread.  I'm sure maybe it's fine.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:16:26 pm by smakemupagus »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 06:24:16 am »

Multiple cases of rot on only one specific body part sounds like a syndrome caused by evil rain. Is there an announcement saying that evil rain is falling? Either way, you should probably restrict the swamp when it's raining if you don't want everyone's head rotting off. I think that those who have had the specified body part rotted and had the rot removed are immune, but with the head at stake I wouldn't say you should risk that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 03:35:30 am »

The Blood Shrine, Mid-winter, 258.

With the iron capstone hoisted into place, the ziggurat is complete.  The lowest 2 stories host the temple itself, while upper floors are incorporated into a (pretty rudimentary) library. Our scholar is residence is currently "Pondering traumatic injuries!," which is a pretty suitable field of study. 

Almost certainly, our shaman is correct that the head infections were caused by the Blood Marsh weather, but with exterior work complete on the temple, there should be a lot less exposure.  Still, the marsh is where most of our timber comes from right now.  I order the higher caste orcs not to worry about wood hauling, leaving that task to the snaga and commoners.

Mottled Petrel has been a bit grumpy for various reasons, like that the poetry in our tavern is boring, no dedicated shrines to his prefered deities, etc.  After checking preferences I buy him from this year's caravan a sabretooth cat, which also gets war training so it can help guard the temple grounds.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »

Hi folks,

Since as far as I understand, Masterwork isn't likely to be updated for DF2017 in the near future, I'll be spending time on modding to update/convert Orc Fortress to vanilla.  Depending on how big of a project that turns out to be, updates will slow if not stop on Enomon.  (i do very much like this idea of multi-civilization development in a single world, so i'll probably revisit it some day.  Sounds like Artefacts and Raiding will be worth updating for, though!)

Best,
Smak
Pages: 1 [2]