Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Spore!  (Read 6189 times)

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
Re: Let's Play Spore!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:59 am »

I kinda like spore.  It is nothing like what was promised, mind, and I am hoping that they come out with expansions for the other levels...I mean come on, space was the biggest phase already, and THAT was where  they chose to make an expansion?!?

But hey, if I ignore the hype, I like it.  Except that the Kanji pack is impossible to read. 

Anyway, this sounds interesting, Im looking forward to following along.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:37 am »

Actually spore was very close to what was promised. Will himself called spore a toy, not a game. it was not intended to be an epic adventure or a complex sim, but something fun to mess with.

That said, the space phase was a huge disappointment. everything is far too simplified, and your options are extremely limited. Sure you can do just about anything, but most of it has no point. I played one of the prototypes for the space phase, and it had complex ecosystems, more terrain deformation tools, and meaningful differences between creatures. The full game has none of that.(though I still don't have the expansion pack, so that might fix some of it)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:17 am »

Actually spore was very close to what was promised. Will himself called spore a toy, not a game. it was not intended to be an epic adventure or a complex sim, but something fun to mess with.

It was supposed to be a toy with a laundry list of features that were cut for no good reason, which wouldve made it groundbreaking. There were so many things in those vids they showed (i think at GDC) that werent in the game at release that its basically a compeltely different product.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 11:22:24 am »

Spore is decent mindless fun on the highest difficulty setting (which, ironically, actually became much easier for me because apparently all it does is lower the hitpoints of everything, meaning if you can apply a good bit of force, you can slaughter everything pretty fast, instead of it being a long grind back and forth, most noticeable in the tribal phase). Except for the Civ stage, which is horribad on any difficulty. The key, I found, is tanking to the exclusion of all else. Speed means nothing, because combat goes on so long, attack means very little, because it doesn't provide enough gank to justify the hit to health...

Space was boring, until you get the non-one-shot terraforming tools and can just fly around turning enemy planets into molten heaps of slag. >:D
Which gets boring after you've done it a few dozen times, flown through a couple of random wormholes, and proceed to do it a hundred more times in a quest to cleanse the galaxy of Spode worshiping heretics! >:D
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

I played one of the prototypes for the space phase, and it had complex ecosystems, more terrain deformation tools, and meaningful differences between creatures.

Do want ;^;

You should totally livestream the LP, so I can yell bad decisions for you to ignore.

Once I got to Spehss Phase I kinda lost horribly.  :\  Goddamn pirates or some hostile civ interrupted my exploration every five minutes or so, so as soon as I got back to the frontier I'd have to run back again.  My planetary defenses were apparently utterly useless, as I left them to fend for themselves once and my planet got bloody razed.  They're also hella fragile, and I had to manually go over to each city and tell them to fix the place up and rebuild their guns (there's probably automation for that, but I missed it).

A trading partner race I'd discovered nearby mysteriously disappeared, probably destroyed by said hostile race.

And this was all like immediately after I finished the space tutorial stuff.  I don't know what I did wrong, but the game went from boring and cakewalk to tedious and unbeatable.

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 04:31:10 pm »

Stop derailing the thread, guys. I just got up and I had to reinstall SPORE so I'll be recording Cell Stage soon.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

Sounds like a good plan and I'll be watching.

(Not to derail further, but if you're doing the LP in this thread it should probably be moved to the Play with your buddies subforum)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »

I'm going to be doing a Let's Play of SPORE from start to finish. But I need some help.

Does anybody have a NOCD for Spore 1.5.0001?
How can I compress my HD videos? Will I be uploading ~300MB videos for the rest of my life?

I can only accept this if you ridicule it along the way  >:(  (i hate spore 0_0)

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »

I'm not ridiculing a game because it's different from then it was in the development stage. I can understand if they changed it after they released it, but you have to remember, it's the development stage that it was changed.
That said, I'm going to ridicule (I can't spell anything) anything that I don't like because I have to play the game while you guys have to watch me.
Few notes: This will be in 720p down/upscaled from 1152x864 on all high quality. If you have some way to make it run in 16:9 but less than 1280x720 (my monitor is 5:4 LCD that runs at 1280x1024.) then I'd be happy to do it that way. Right now I'm rendering the cell stage stuff in two parts then I'm going to convert it to MP4 to cut the size in half blah blah blah I don't know when I'll have time to upload it as YouTube takes all my bandwidth.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

Micro, if you don't like it you can leave the thread now.  You don't have to read it or follow it or even acknowledge its existence.  I don't like Family Guy, but I don't vehemently antagonize my friends and family who enjoy it.  Remember the guidelines:  "try to be supportive of the OP's intentions" - or words to that effect.

That said, yes, ridiculing what parts of it are genuinely bad or that annoy you while you play it, rather than it's failure to live up to nearly-godly expectations, sounds like a good source of comedy if executed properly - which is a broad range of options, of course.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »

Calm down it's a joke...mostly to relieve my own stress about it. :-\

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 05:43:36 pm »

Maxis never fails to deliver awesome music. That was never a letdown.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:48 pm »

Calm down it's a joke...mostly to relieve my own stress about it. :-\

Sorry. I thought you were being serious :-[  You know, ounce of prevention and all that.  And text doesn't have tone.  At least now we shouldn't have to worry as much about someone who is, eh?

So I take it things are just about up and running?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2]