Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2941152 times)

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5865 on: April 23, 2024, 01:12:12 pm »

Can the creature graphics in ASCII mode come back in future versions?
and multi-view?

Creature graphics mod support for classic is already there, so is multiple z-level view if that's what you're referring to. Classic version = Steam version w/o official sprites & sound/music; anything you can mod for steam, you should be able to mod on classic. At least that should be the case. If there's a specific graphics set you're waiting for that hasn't been updated yet for the current version, then that's on the graphic creator. Granted graphics modding was expanded for steam version so understandably it's gonna take more time for creators to update their graphics from pre-steam to post-steam.

Any news on the Mac version? 😢

From Feb:
Quote from: Doren I
Hello Toady and thanks for this wonderful game.  I have been wondering if there was any word on a Mac release for the Steam version?
No additional word!  I'm stuck in adventure land with a deadline.  Still need a few computers.  Linux being done theoretically means the hardest part is over, hopefully.

Mac will be back once adv mode is done

upd: mixed up steam = classic
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 04:12:50 pm by Doorkeeper »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: April 23, 2024, 03:38:12 pm »

Maybe this has come up before, it seems like it has to have, but a cursory search couldn't find it.

Will there ever be modding support for implementing things like firedamp? Blackdamp, whitedamp, etc?
More to the point, is the mining mechanic in its current iteration "finished"?

Firedamp is any flammable gas found in coal mines, typically coalbed methane.
    It is particularly found in areas where the coal is bituminous.
    The gas accumulates in pockets in the coal and adjacent strata and when they are penetrated the release can trigger explosions.
    Historically, if such a pocket was highly pressurized, it was termed a "bag of foulness".

Basically, support for letting gas spawn and then linger. Custom gas evaporates very quickly, which is problematic for certain modding endeavors.

Goody towers lean close to something approaching a natural mining hazard, but obviously they are very much their own thing.

I could understand maybe wanting to shrug off adding in better gas simulation support until way off in the far future. Like, I get that.

Been having a craving recently for adding in some neat puzzles, in terms of the game's mining logistics, and figured I'd ask. Apologies if the future of gas and the core mining gameplay wheel has been addressed in a previous post already.

Thanks again for your time Toad.

Edit: grammar, appended second question
Edit Edit: I'm a pretty confused individual, bear with me with here.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:37:20 pm by dikbutdagrate »

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: April 23, 2024, 05:45:23 pm »

Are there any plans to fully overhaul the small scale layered creature sprites in the future, with the new capabilities that came with procedural portraits?  (missing body parts, palletization, etc)

Additionally, I've noticed that NPCs never wear any headwear except for masks and face veils and never wear loincloths or thongs.
This is new since the steam release and I assume it was intentionally added to reduce clutter but it is a bit odd and makes kobolds always have bad thoughts for having no pants.
If this is changed I think kobolds should be given sandals too, to make them not get bad thoughts for having no footwear.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: April 23, 2024, 06:46:00 pm »

What cues certain music tracks to play in Fortress mode?  I know the song “Vile Force of Darkness” plays when a siege arrives, but when, for example, does “Death Spiral” get triggered?  Will there be similar cues in adventure?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:46:30 pm by Doren I »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: April 23, 2024, 07:23:55 pm »

Maybe this has come up before, it seems like it has to have, but a cursory search couldn't find it.

Will there ever be modding support for implementing things like firedamp? Blackdamp, whitedamp, etc? "Although, the better question is, whether the current mining mechanic is complete or not?

Firedamp is any flammable gas found in coal mines, typically coalbed methane.
    It is particularly found in areas where the coal is bituminous.
    The gas accumulates in pockets in the coal and adjacent strata and when they are penetrated the release can trigger explosions.
    Historically, if such a pocket was highly pressurized, it was termed a "bag of foulness".

Basically, support for letting gas spawn and then linger. Custom gas evaporates very quickly, which is problematic for certain modding endeavors.

Goody towers lean close to something approaching a natural mining hazard, but obviously they are very much their own thing.

I could understand maybe wanting to shrug off adding in better gas simulation support until way off in the far future. Like, I get that.

Been having a craving recently for adding in some neat puzzles, in terms of the game's mining logistics, and figured I'd ask. Apologies if the future of gas and the core mining gameplay wheel has been addressed in a previous post already.

Thanks again for your time Toad.

Edit: grammar, appended second question

I'd also be curious about this. Mostly because "you have uncovered a bag of foulness" just sounds so DF-y.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: April 23, 2024, 07:35:08 pm »

What cues certain music tracks to play in Fortress mode?  I know the song “Vile Force of Darkness” plays when a siege arrives, but when, for example, does “Death Spiral” get triggered?  Will there be similar cues in adventure?

There's a few audio tokens that determine when a song plays, assigned in /data/vanilla/vanilla_music/objects/music_standard.txt. I don't know the exact program conditions for "death spiral", but it's triggered when a bunch of your dwarves die.

The adventure music is supposed to be dynamic (and completely hardcoded, as I inquired prior), but I haven't found any data on how it gets played in the raws or in the libgraphics repository. From what I can gather, most of the logic for adventure music isn't properly implemented and only plays music when starting an adventure.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: April 25, 2024, 04:45:57 pm »

Thanks!  I should’ve checked since it seems I pretty much duplicated your question.

rokoeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: April 26, 2024, 03:11:34 pm »

I wonder if it is possible in theory to send a squad of dwarves in a mission outside my fort to demand or raid an enemy village and being able to join them in combat when I un-retire an adventurer or if I create a new adventurer in the target village and help them defend against the squad that is on the way.

I can make the unretire (or creation of new adventurer) simulation progress time at the start to be 1 day with DFHack (as the two weeks always are much more time than the travel time to the site). Even with that, would my squad actually reach the site if I could be there with an adventurer waiting? Or the mission are all abstract math behind the scenes and nothing would "physically" happen If I were there observing?

What about If I leave a squad member behind to be the ruler of the new site... I guess he would be there I would be able to find the dwarf?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 03:40:00 pm by rokoeh »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: April 26, 2024, 05:02:53 pm »

Last i heard it was all abstractions under the hood. Same with other armies conquering sites while you play, even while adventuring in the same site. So you probably would never meet your squad, or if you did it would either be as theyre hanging out in the target site, or camping outside the target. Same way you can find goblin armies camped, or come upon towns the goblins just captured. But never actually witness the fighting.

When you have a dwarf become administrator, they probably do hang out somewhere, but in i never actually found any of the dwarves I sent to any of the hamlets I conquered when I played on the beta launch day.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: April 27, 2024, 04:57:07 pm »

1. One thing I noticed from the current version of the adventure mode beta is we don't have progress bars for skills anymore like in the old version. Will those eventually be readded?
2. Since priorities are currently in flux regarding what gets implemented next what are the chances in one of the updates following adventure mode's release this year or next that we will be able to purchase houses/plots of land in towns? It was on the old to do list and it would be a nice variation on the base building that existed in the old version with building our own mead halls.
3. Are towns going to get any new kinds of buildings/features/organizations with the town updates? Previously libraries and guilds halls in towns didn't do much and it would be cool to see them have their own little quest types/if possible be joinable factions like mercenary companies are.
4. Will random edible leaves picked from the ground still be worth a small amount of money in trading? Stuff like lettuce and what not. In early versions you could pay for your inn room with lettuce leaves in a quick pinch.

Verdiumm

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to choose an image.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: April 30, 2024, 02:25:08 am »

Not sure i've seen anyone else bring this particular topic up.

Ever since the villains release, there has been an event where a villain can send people to corrupt your dwarves to steal an artifact of yours which is great flavour.
But for some reason it seems to be abnormally common. I'm talking hundreds of historical figures "Claiming from afar" in Legends mode almost the instant it is made for me a lot of the time.

This results in the majority of your guests being thieves, which both means you won't get many regular visitors and you'll need to seal away your artifacts 100% of the time (or disallow visitors).
Or, if you want more regular visitors, just get rid of your artifacts.
I'd guess this would be one of the things looked at when Villains is revisited and it's probably just a side effect of it not being finished right?

lingaic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: May 02, 2024, 08:31:34 pm »

Can the creature graphics in ASCII mode come back in future versions?
and multi-view?

Creature graphics mod support for classic is already there, so is multiple z-level view if that's what you're referring to.
What is the name of "creature graphics mod support for classic",

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: May 03, 2024, 07:18:48 am »

Would it be possible to consider the return of ASCII creature graphics in future versions?
and the multi-view implemented in ASCII somehow.

Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)
"The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics"
What is the name of "creature graphics mod support for classic",

CLA's creature graphics is not ASCII. It is pretending to be ASCII. ASCII uses tilesets and creature graphics are part of graphic sets, and CLA is a graphic set. On the wiki, CLA is listed as a graphic set and says "ASCII-like", so not real ASCII.

Toady already made it so 0.47.xx graphic sets can return to the current version. CLA or someone else has to update the graphic set now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 12:17:42 pm by Doorkeeper »

The Lawnmower Man

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: Today at 02:30:20 am »

Are there any plans to make walls and raised bridges destructible by enemies?
It is ridiculous that a single wall tile or a raised bridge can completely neutralize almost any threat from the outside.
The defense of the fortress is now so simple that it is difficult to lose for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392]