Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to transfer Steam to Classic?  (Read 1073 times)

Draupnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to transfer Steam to Classic?
« on: June 17, 2023, 01:19:23 am »

Hey guys. Long time player here.

I... Hate the steam version. Even though I haven't played DF in about 7 years, I still have the controls memorized by heart... But I absolutely detest the steam version and cannot, for the life of me, enjoy it as much as I enjoy classic mode.

Is there a way i can transfer my save game to the classic mode? If so, can I get help in doing it? I like the music of the new version, and even the tileset but the controls just aren't for me.

Is there a way I can transfer the save over to classic with the mods I have installed & keep the tileset?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to transfer Steam to Classic?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 02:21:17 am »

If by classic you mean the 50+ versions it won't matter since they hav the same controls. If you mean a pre-50 version then no, the save formats aren't compatible.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Draupnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 03:25:26 am »

Wait they got rid of the old controls?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 03:42:41 am »

Yep, from the bottom up this was a change. Classic Mode is the same game but ascii only, which makes the UI a bit harder to use, to be honest. You can try it on Steam by going to options and turning on ascii mode.

To actually answer the question: just take whichever region file you want from the saves folder and put it in the other install's saves folder (maybe you've got separate settings setups, or various installs for some reason)

47.05 is the best version of DF so far, in my view, but I also didn't find it that hard to move up to 50, so have just learned to love it. You might just want to play 47.05 for a while still.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 03:46:39 am by delphonso »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 04:15:35 am »

You think he would maintain two user interfaces when he got so much grief for one?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 11:36:17 am »

Draupnir, while I do agree with your assessment that the Steam version (or DF50 or Premium or whatever you wish to call it) made some poor choices with the interface, I highly suggest you install the free utility DFhack from the steam workshop. It includes some very useful interface additions that you might appreciate, coming from the older versions. I, too, was left with a sour taste in my mouth after playing premium. But DF is DF and we can only hope that the most egregious issues are fixed over the next few years of development.

I also highly suggest installing the modification titled "Interface Tweaks" from the workshop. It simply adds the respective hotkeys to the menu tiles (why this isn't vanilla is beyond me lol) which helps in the learning.

New version has some key features that are worth investigating, even if you end up returning to 47.05:

-new HFS
-new invaders
-item valuation balances
-ability to designate constructions over multiple z-levels
-the music is amazing
-occasionally, the sprites are very very cute

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 10:17:01 pm »

-new invaders

Floods of them, hurting FPS.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?