Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5675 5676 [5677] 5678 5679 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13450093 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85140 on: September 09, 2015, 05:16:36 pm »

The lower boards have got to be a serious drain on DF development, even with his slightly heavy-handed moderation.
Toady's actually said several times over that the forum moderation doesn't really take up much of his time, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85141 on: September 09, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.
Surely theres a few that can be trusted?
Hah, not a chance. This place is a bad enough echo chamber already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85142 on: September 09, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.
Maybe pick a few people who seem mostly level-headed, keep their identities a secret, and ban them if they abuse their power?

Also limiting powers to temp-mutes and thread locking would be a good idea.

How can we make sure they don't abuse their power if we don't know who has the power? Also smacks of 'secret police' a bit.

Surely theres a few that can be trusted?
Hah, not a chance. This place is a bad enough echo chamber already.

Yeah I guess you have a point.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85143 on: September 09, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »

Nope, no one could moderate the forums properly, IMHO. Even our dear google offshoot AI Footkerchief probably couldn't do it, and he's been missing for a while, I think.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85144 on: September 09, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

Maybe pick a few people who seem mostly level-headed, keep their identities a secret, and ban them if they abuse their power?

Also limiting powers to temp-mutes and thread locking would be a good idea.
Yeah see, then you'd just swap from modding forum to modding mods

Also 99% certain that this would turn into reddit where everyone agrees with one another because the ones who didn't were disappeared and newcomers overcompensate to fit in

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85145 on: September 09, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

The Curses board has a moderator because Fox is (was?) literally working on the game that takes up most of that board. The rest of the forum is just sorta there, and MSH has a point.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #85146 on: September 09, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »

From my point of view the happy thread was 20% people posting happy things, with the other 80% being animu, weird innuendo, incessant shitposting/dank meme storm and ~being passive aggressive is supah cool guyse~ so, nothing of value was lost, IMHO.
Counterpoint: Where would people post things that actually made them happy? That 20% doesn't just manifest into thin air, and people like talking about things that made them happy. Making new threads every time somebody was happy wouldn't fit with the established upperboard style, and consolidating the emotion threads would be a disaster I could smell from a mile away.

That said, I do agree with you to a point, although not to the point of "nothing of value was lost".
I *really* don't understand why he doesn't get community moderators.  The lower boards have got to be a serious drain on DF development, even with his slightly heavy-handed moderation.  I mean, he doesn't even just lock threads, he goes through and deletes the argumentative posts.  Seems like a hell of a lot of effort.
Speaking from personal experience, promoting former community members to mod status is a great deal on a discount 100% pure can of disaster soup. The only person I could see him elevating to mod status would be somebody like Footkerchief.

I think we had a thread about this a while back.

Also, ninjas.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85147 on: September 09, 2015, 05:19:47 pm »

You're probably right. I don't want to be banned for "intolerance" because of my views on immigration or something.

Or gender issues, or gay marriage, or identity politics, or regular politics, or...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85148 on: September 09, 2015, 05:20:59 pm »

Well, Mafia, ER, etc etc, but really there's noone big or serious enough to moderate general discussion that would actually like to do it. Only unmoderateable bit of the forums, really.

I guess this stuff just happens.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #85149 on: September 09, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »

Running a play-by-post tabletop game on another forum. Because it's a complex game, and the players have this strange reluctance to send their final orders by email as I requested (so I don't have to comb through a morass of strategy discussion and such to find them), a fairly minor mistake was made in reading said orders, resulting in a player's ship taking a small amount of damage. This player is pitching a fit because I have a policy that once something's done, it is done. Never mind the fact that a similar error earlier in the game prevented that player's team from losing almost before the game had started (the player on the other side was a grown-up about it and accepted the "oops".)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85150 on: September 09, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »

You're probably right. I don't want to be banned for "intolerance" because of my views on immigration or something.

Or gender issues, or gay marriage, or identity politics, or regular politics, or...

BAFFLER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85151 on: September 09, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »

Maybe we as a people just need to stop taking things seriously
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85152 on: September 09, 2015, 05:24:50 pm »

But then what would we use this thread for? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85153 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »

Wait, there are people who take things seriously?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85154 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:44 pm »

No period at the end of the sentence, suggestion of reduction in composure?

He's been infected with LSP.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 5675 5676 [5677] 5678 5679 ... 10989