Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298134 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2018, 06:46:42 am »

I totally thought you were gonna name 'im Steve Irwin for a moment there.
'Twas naught but trickery! Trickery and misdirection!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:38 am »

This might very well get it's own thread down the line but whatever:

Here's Obsidian's next game, "the Outer Worlds". Described by Kotaku as "Fallout New Vegas in space".

But honestly, all I see is Borderlands.
Or rather Borderlands 2 because that is the only one I played.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2018, 07:19:06 am »

I was just looking at that earlier, it actually looks quite intriguing! As long as I can shoot that annoying gal with the overly hammy VA in the trailer.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2018, 07:38:03 am »

more games need a dedicated "shoot the person you're talking to" button.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:57 am »

This might very well get it's own thread down the line but whatever:

Here's Obsidian's next game, "the Outer Worlds". Described by Kotaku as "Fallout New Vegas in space".

But honestly, all I see is Borderlands.
Or rather Borderlands 2 because that is the only one I played.

I like how it talks about "worlds", hopefully it'll become a setting for something larger

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2018, 07:49:59 am »

more games need a dedicated "shoot the person you're talking to" button.
I had an idea a long time ago for a first person game where you play as a recently discovered and scientifically thawed caveman, and despite having an entire set of keybindings (and associated screen prompts), your only method of interacting or communicating with the world is by punching it.

"Press E to push button", punch it.

"Press G to hack mainframe", punch it into a critical systems failure.

"Press F to pay respects", punch the casket, respectfully.

"Press T to talk to scientist", punch them in the face, prompting conversation.

Eventually you'd end up having to save the world after a series of incredibly complex and advanced tasks such as disarming a bomb (by punching it) and cunningly entrapping the criminal mastermind during an interrogation (by punching him), and everyone would think that you're a lot smarter than you actually are.

Otherwise, play Westerado: Double Barreled. It has that button.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:46 am »

So it's Tasmanian Devil: The Game but with punching instead of face biting.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2018, 02:01:22 pm »

In other news, has anyone looked at Occupy White Walls? It's a free, multiplayer sandbox where you design and build an art museum and then populate it with real-world paintings and sculptures.

I am now. That sounds fascinating.

I had an idea a long time ago for a first person game where you play as a recently discovered and scientifically thawed caveman, and despite having an entire set of keybindings (and associated screen prompts), your only method of interacting or communicating with the world is by punching it.

So you're basically fistbumping it? I could see it.

Reminds me of an interface somebody I knew in college made-- there was basically a pressure sensitive jelly bubble with a microphone in it. You were basically screaming at it, or punching it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:47 pm »

In other news, has anyone looked at Occupy White Walls? It's a free, multiplayer sandbox where you design and build an art museum and then populate it with real-world paintings and sculptures.

im almost want to be that one guy who fills the museum with nothing but Jackson Pollacks and "Origin of the World". do not look that 2nd one up, its nsfw.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:17 am »

im almost want to be that one guy who fills the museum with nothing but Jackson Pollacks and "Origin of the World". do not look that 2nd one up, its nsfw.

L'Origine du Monde? I think that may find itself a better place mixed in among a Banksy gallery.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:33 pm »

isn't banksy a street artist with a strong anti-establishment tone tho? and his dark humor might clash with the teenage silliness of filling a pro museum with nudes and sexual imagery.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2018, 02:47:22 pm »

isn't banksy a street artist with a strong anti-establishment tone tho? and his dark humor might clash with the teenage silliness of filling a pro museum with nudes and sexual imagery.

Banksy's anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist... come to think of it, maybe he just likes being contrary. Two of his more high profile events was Dismaland, the Bemusement Park a few years ago, and, more recently, an art piece that self-destructed right after bidding on it closed at auction.

Pollock, on the other hand, does the stuff that mostly looks like random paint splatter.

I was thinking that the sharp juxtaposition of Banksy's more typical work, framing another highly controversial piece that it done in a traditional fashion, on a traditional medium, in a gallery filled with everything else being Banksy, is, in itself, something jarring.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2018, 12:22:32 am »

Book of Demons is... interesting, even before you get to its meta element. And four hours later, I just can't decide if it's good-interesting or bad-interesting.

It plays like an ARPG on rails, somewhat literally and metaphorically.
Rail 1: Instead of nice large open expanses (or at least hallways) to traverse, you're stuck in little ruts about as wide as you are, moving forward or backwards (and branching), while the mobs run around freely.
Rail 2: The game organizes itself into gameplay sessions with an estimated length of completion based on your prior play. Having just finished Act 1, I'm looking at times ranging from 10-33min (with one more option longer still locked to me). More importantly, each session increments a progress bar towards endgame. No backtracking. No grinding. You're on a one-way trip down (excluding pitstops in town).

You have a set number of equipment slots, starting at 3, and up towards 10, that have to be purchased in-game. Equipment ranges from passives (reserves mana), spells (consumes mana on activation), items (limited charges, but they can drop or be purchased). Equipment (including items) is effectively a one-time drop, can be upgraded, and can (fairly rarely) be found in enchanted forms. For example, one magical item I pulled gives the normal effect, plus +1 mana.

RNG is nasty. I started my first game on normal... first piece of equipment I got basically lets me hit two targets at once. Second item gives me a 40% chance of dropping restoratives when I get hit. Third item is a health potion. Over the next hour or so, I get a weapon that has a chance to set the place burning every attack and a piece of equipment that gives temporary immunity to burning. So this is pretty easy... lets try hardcore difficulty: Resistance to slow. Resistance to ice when standing in fire. Chance to slow on attack... which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't cost more mana than I had to equip. Invisibility potion (which I used a lot, constantly running away). Sigh. (Note: It's not all those items do, but they're kind of awful starter items.)

Leveling lets you pick extra life or mana. Also a freebie restore, and more importantly, particularly for hardcore... once you hit L10 or so, you basically get a free chance to die, once per level.  It varies by class, but when the warrior 'dies', you get temporary invulnerability and a knockback.

Spoiler: "A few tips." (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:34:22 am by Aoi »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

So you're basically fistbumping it? I could see it.

For added emotional impact, have your meetings with this character always begin and end with a fistbump or a friendly punching.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2018, 12:38:31 pm »

https://lastyearthegame.com/the-game/

Asymmetrical multiplayer, 5 survivors versus 1 killer. Rather than a Dead By Daylight clone, this seems to play a bit more like L4D, except the only zombie is one souped-up special infected. You can swap between killer types as the situation requires.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 168