Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298144 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1245 on: July 16, 2021, 05:19:07 pm »

Considering that Steam never managed to get their VR headset prices down to anywhere even remotely close to their competition, I'm not particularly optimistic that this Deck will be commonly affordable.
It's $400.

eh? $999 on Steam's store.
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/354231/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 16, 2021, 05:23:07 pm »

VR Set is 999, Deck is the 400
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 16, 2021, 06:14:05 pm »

I think that earlier bit involved a confusion in clauses.

One thing that that particularly caught my eye is how The Deck bills itself as AAA-capable ("runs them really well"), but is a 1280x800 screen... do most AAA-titles even have options for a resolution that low nowadays?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 16, 2021, 06:40:14 pm »

... yes? Pretty sure. Why wouldn't they? 1280x800 hasn't become an uncommon resolution, near as I can recall?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 16, 2021, 06:52:00 pm »

I think that earlier bit involved a confusion in clauses.

One thing that that particularly caught my eye is how The Deck bills itself as AAA-capable ("runs them really well"), but is a 1280x800 screen... do most AAA-titles even have options for a resolution that low nowadays?

They do. Not everyone has a super mega widescreen monitor :P

some of us have had to deal with 1280x720 and get confused as to why it and 1366x768 look the same when on a monitor with the latter :P

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1250 on: July 17, 2021, 04:11:46 am »

Now Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is probably one of the most whelming experiences I've had in the past few years.

The lore is 1) decent, but 2) not in the game. Seriously, last i checked, the website has more details than the in-game dialogues. It's less immersive than Skyrim imo, and that's a low bar. So unfortunately, its only saving grace is how cool beating monsters up can be. Even early in the game, there's a spark of variety which grows as the game progresses. I have not played or seen a lot of Monster Hunter so i can't compare them.

Just learned about "Steam Deck"

I'm excited to see how this will influence Linux acceptance. Worst-case, Valve'll double down on the streaming for non-linux games and nothing changes. But I have my hopes up nevertheless. (EDIT: I forgot to mention that Valve seems to favour Proton i.e. locally installed compatibility layer)

Either way, seems like an overall good deal. I'll have to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:56:51 am by Mobbstar »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 17, 2021, 11:33:11 am »

Did a bit of cursory research on the Deck.

A couple of things immediately sent up red flags for me. The $400 model comes with 64GB of storage space, which is pathetically inadequate for a platform that uses no cartridges and expects to digitally download AAA games. But then it supports SD cards, which I've had to shop for before, and know they can add terabytes of storage at prices generally lower than SSD's, so that's good, though it will inflate the initial price by quite a bit.

Also track pads. By far the most useless joke of a feature I remember Sony adding to their ps4 controller and then inexplicably doubling down on with the ps5 controller.
But Steam have put their track pads next to the thumb sticks, and are touting them as a viable option for fps aiming. I absolutely detest the very thought of trying to aim an fps game with a joystick, so providing this as an alternative is of great interest to me.

Last issue to me is the dock, which basically turns this into a Nintendo Switch, allowing you to play games on the big screen with another controller, or on a monitor with keyboard/mouse like a PC. Which is definitely cool, but the dock is not included in any of the preorder packages, so the pricing on this component may become another mitigating factor.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 23, 2021, 07:33:10 pm »

The Fermi Paradox: Try to nurture a galaxy (or at least a really small star cluster) into a 4+ planet federation by making decisions that'll foster growth. Or maybe use some as sacrificial lambs so that the next civilization can develop enough that they can survive. It sounds interesting on paper, kind of like a The Last Federation, with more of a narrative bent.

Spoiler: It fails hard. (click to show/hide)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 23, 2021, 08:23:02 pm »

Now Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is probably one of the most whelming experiences I've had in the past few years.

The lore is 1) decent, but 2) not in the game. Seriously, last i checked, the website has more details than the in-game dialogues. It's less immersive than Skyrim imo, and that's a low bar. So unfortunately, its only saving grace is how cool beating monsters up can be. Even early in the game, there's a spark of variety which grows as the game progresses. I have not played or seen a lot of Monster Hunter so i can't compare them.

The lore: Watch/read Berserk and you're good.

I will always plug Dragon's Dogma. Incredible game, even if a bit story-shallow.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 23, 2021, 09:40:07 pm »

The wave is pushing me into the current again!
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:07 pm »

The Fermi Paradox: Try to nurture a galaxy (or at least a really small star cluster) into a 4+ planet federation by making decisions that'll foster growth. Or maybe use some as sacrificial lambs so that the next civilization can develop enough that they can survive. It sounds interesting on paper, kind of like a The Last Federation, with more of a narrative bent.

Spoiler: It fails hard. (click to show/hide)
I gave it a try, and my experience was similar - It seems like an excellent story generator, but I don't know if the game is there. For instance, in my game, Humanity almost immediately ran out of all their minerals, had a war that killed most of them, ran out of minerals again, had an even bigger war, and was just about on the verge of extinction when a revolution in cloning allowed their population numbers to finally stabilize.

Meanwhile, the next system over, that race put all their resources into a massive starship, which headed out towards Sol (without realizing there was anyone there). Once the starship was several decades out, all the automation in the homeworld went berserk, genociding the race, leaving only the couple hundred thousand souls in the ships. My new wandering race ended up going to Sol, spied on the Humans without making official contact, then left for a new system, where they were able to get a new colony started by finding native plants that could be farmed, and ended up having a scientific revolution.

I also got a third race that popped up about 2/3s of the way through my playthrough, which made it up to the iron age before the game ended. They actually got the signals of a Human televangelist passing through their system, but had no radio to pick up the signals, so remained ignorant of other species.

Again - great stories, but I didn't really feel like I was... playing a game. It's all about making 1/3 choices to various random events, which either give points (usually bad things), take points away (usually good things), or cost nothing (usually somewhat negative things). Otherwise you're literally just watching the galaxy evolve and occasionally clicking on shiny objects (gives a small number of points.)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 24, 2021, 01:04:00 am »

Spoiler: The Fermi Paradox (click to show/hide)

The game actually has a timed ending? That feels kind of weird.

Running out of resources appears to be the only 'practical' way to actually lose, far as I can tell, and even that can usually be escaped if you're prepared... the Warfare and Society meters are effectively dumpstats, as the latter only comes into play when something goes catastrophically wrong, and... I don't think I've ever triggered the former. A few of my planets had like 600% fatality levels, with no ill effect. Just keep population growth positive (at 20% or so, you can take the extinction penalty with impunity) and pick resources/science every time and they're okay for the most part.

My galaxy started off with sentient seaweed which... immediately imploded on themselves due to a resource shortage (planet started with enough for like 200 years...) and a lack of understanding of the mechanics. Second civilization was a set of dogs that eventually spread to 5 planets and was the one that formed the federation. After becoming an interplanetary civilization, they opted to go cybernetic. They ended up undergoing two extinction-level events collectively... one of them involved them building self-reproducing cloud cities that got too voracious and cannibalized the planet (resource shortage). Something like 9.5 billion deaths from that one, but they recovered. The other one was disease, that they miraculously found a cure for after a ton of influence points.

The third civilization, which became interstellar but not advanced enough to join the federation, formed on... Earth. Dolphins. And boy did they have a rough time of it, starting with around -14% population. Their lack-of-breeding lead to an extinction event that they somehow managed to survive with about 600 individuals remaining. Then they had a plague. And a volcanic eruption (resource shortage). Then another plague. Their first interstellar ship, I didn't have enough points for a good landing, so they crashed with almost no survivors. Then another plague. Followed by yet another one just as the dogs were finishing the victory conditions. I really have no idea what was causing the same type of extinction over and over, since their stats are all solidly positive at that point.

I had a fourth civilization of monkeys that... uh... acted as a point battery. Something like 60% Dystopian and massive fatality levels. Nothing bad ever happened to them, all the way up through nuclear tech.

...I'm not sure how to feel about it that recounting what happened was more enjoyable than actually playing it (if 'playing is the right word...). It mostly got tedious halfway through.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 24, 2021, 01:57:25 am »

The game actually has a timed ending? That feels kind of weird.
I was playing the demo, which lasts about an hour in real time. I assume the full game doesn't have that condition.

As I said before - it makes for some good stories, but there really just isn't a game in there.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 25, 2021, 10:58:59 pm »

I played through Red Faction.  It's pretty good.

That is all.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 26, 2021, 03:00:38 am »

Considering that Steam never managed to get their VR headset prices down to anywhere even remotely close to their competition, I'm not particularly optimistic that this Deck will be commonly affordable.
It's $400.
eh? $999 on Steam's store.
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/354231/

Thats most likely the pricing in your region but i dunno. from what country are you looking it up tho?

the thing has LPDDR5 quad channel memory im interested if it will actually run DF better than my PC
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 168