Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298137 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2280 on: May 24, 2023, 03:52:05 pm »

I think there might be a thread for it but eh....

Bought V Rising on sale. People have dubbed it "Valheim but Vampires." I expected a sort of half-baked game due to Early Access and it being a survival game....

But I was pleasantly surprised. It looks great. It plays well (unless you try to turn v-sync on.) It's mostly intuitive. You don't feel like you're fighting the control scheme or some inherent jankiness of the design. Quality voice acting, for what there is. Lots of vampiric options that feel on brand and flavorful. The world is huge, but in the vein of "survival crafting sim" huge. The boss fights are fun too. Twitchy, have to dodge a lot of telegraphed attacks, they keep the pressure on, adds can join in to make things even crazier.

My favorite bit so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I have one gripe with the game it's that the map is not procedurally generated. So I'm not sure how good it is for multiple playthroughs. But there is a substantial amount of meat on its bones for an EA game. Would recommend!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 24, 2023, 04:05:16 pm »

I wanted to like the game, but its unimaginably bad grind mechanics turned me off something fierce. I remember people complaining in the reviews about having to periodically log in or lose progress in your castle (?), but I've never played enough to experience that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 24, 2023, 04:34:46 pm »

You can turn all that shit off in settings. It's meant to be a PvP game, that's why the mechanic is there. But for SP? You can tweak all the game settings so you get faster resources, no decay, etc....

That point originally turned me off too but it's not relevant.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 24, 2023, 04:53:32 pm »

By the time I realized I really should've tweaked it from "Standard PvE" settings, I'd already invested several hours into the character and didn't want to start over from scratch.

It's... Ehh. There are some really awesome elements to it, like the manor building is amazing (once you actually get the obscene amount of resources to DO any of it) and there are some really quite lovely environments... But ultimately it just bogs itself down.

Like, there were a number of things that kinda built up to an overall frustration that lead to me finally putting the game down before knocking out the penultimate boss... Things like finding out that blood prisoners can accrue over 100% misery, meaning that even in the best conditions with the room and floor buffs, you will eventually be forced to go out and sit around fishing just to keep them alive.

I dunno. It's probably a lot more fun actually playing co-op, as with most things, but... Eh. They get huge points for style, absolutely. But it eventually just wore me down.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 25, 2023, 06:02:32 am »

I genuinely enjoyed playing V Rising but it very much feels like you’re not supposed to be playing it single player. Fun, but you have the sense at every turn like they did not design it for this as their main focus.

I’d describe it as something like Conan Exiles (or really any kind of open world multiplayer survival game — Ark, Valheim, etc. — but closest to Conan Exiles in vibes) but with a bit of ARPG (e.g. Diablo) mixed in. Worth playing, but do not be afraid to change the settings to keep the grind at whatever’s fun for you.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 25, 2023, 07:42:35 am »

I got V raising after Kagus and he advice me to up resource yield generously on world gen, so that's what I did
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 25, 2023, 01:06:46 pm »

I genuinely enjoyed playing V Rising but it very much feels like you’re not supposed to be playing it single player. Fun, but you have the sense at every turn like they did not design it for this as their main focus.

I’d describe it as something like Conan Exiles (or really any kind of open world multiplayer survival game — Ark, Valheim, etc. — but closest to Conan Exiles in vibes) but with a bit of ARPG (e.g. Diablo) mixed in. Worth playing, but do not be afraid to change the settings to keep the grind at whatever’s fun for you.

I'd say the same thing about Conan Exiles. Both of these games pitch PvP as a part of the package. So if you nope out of the PvP, you will immediately find the world rather too large for a single person. Unlike Conan Exiles, I don't feel like V has as many "special" things to go out there, find and do. Just the bosses so far.

Playing it coop is somewhat better at default PvE settings because the farming goes easier and the boss fights are more manageable. One could also just tweak settings though to make the game less grindy for a single person.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 25, 2023, 03:00:10 pm »

I felt somewhat the opposite...like V Rising was designed around being a single player experience, then had the PvP mechanics tacked on at the last minute to give it a more broad appeal.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 25, 2023, 03:29:59 pm »

I'm going to agree it's a PvP first game. What tells me that is, if it were a SP focused game, there wouldn't be so much regurgitated content to fill space. In a PvE game uniqueness in content seems to come out. In PvP MP games, you need a breadth of available content, like an MMO, so no one ever feels like there's nothing they can do without tripping on someone else's space. In that regard, V Rising definitely feels like the latter rather than the former. Conan Exiles kind of has a blend of both.....with more unique content. But still vast amounts of space where the same things can be found so there's enough space for a server full of people to play in.

To put it in perspective, I can play almost the entire first half of Conan Exiles without leaving my immediate surroundings because there's an abundance of everything I could want. 90% of the world can be safely ignored because it's just the same thing but further away. Were it not for the boss fights in V, I think the same thing would be true. I could farm the same couple plateaus around my castle for all the wood, stone, ore and herbs I need because there's just no call to go further than that.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 27, 2023, 03:20:58 pm »

I'm really enjoying the free Beta version of Your Only Move Is Hustle, thinking I might get the newer non-free version.
YOMI Hustle is a fighting game like Street Fighter, but its turn based. Instead of having to press a complicated series of buttons very quickly, you get up to 30 seconds to choose which move you want to execute from a large list. Once you and you opponent lock in your moves or the 30 seconds are up, your selected moves are executed, and then you get to select moves again, repeat until victory. Then your battle gets replayed in realtime like in Superhot.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 27, 2023, 04:13:33 pm »

YOMI Hustle

I was wondering why it wasn't showing up on Steam, until I disabled search filtering. It had apparently been filtered out of my results because it's tagged as... Anime?

Okay Steam. Sure.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 27, 2023, 08:22:58 pm »

I mean, one of the characters is a cowboy with a katana, and another is just flat out a ninja. It getting tagged with anime is fair :P

E: But yeah, it's pretty great. Haven't got the commercial version and I don't know if I'll ever actually play it vs anyone, but it's a treat to watch occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 28, 2023, 07:21:43 am »

Technically, most games are animated
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 28, 2023, 04:18:26 pm »

Noticed that the excellent lovecraft horror-themed roguelike "Infra Arcana" got a new version a few weeks ago :
https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads

changelog : https://gitlab.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/raw/master/installed_files/release_history.txt

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 28, 2023, 04:26:36 pm »

The Early Access of Starship Troops Extermination just dropped.

I've been enjoying Starship Troopers: Extermination, I think mostly just because it's been way too long since I found a PvE game with more than 4 players and actual need for communication.

I don't want to oversell it. The selection of classes and weapons is pretty limited right now. And I think there's only one map, albeit with multiple deployment areas and day/night variables which mix things up. Only 2 game modes, which are exactly the same except one of them starts you with full resources so that you can skip the gathering phase. And video settings/loadouts don't save between game restarts, which feels very amatuer-hour. But it's a just-launched Early Access title, which promises to improve on all of these areas.

Still, running around a devastated city trying to complete objectives with bugs popping up constantly and needing to be put back down, and calling out priority targets to teammates whenever I get overwhelmed, and figuring out the optimal patterns for building bases that can be easily defended and maintained, it's all very fun right now.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 168