Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pro-Palestinian Protests on United States Campuses  (Read 697 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Pro-Palestinian Protests on United States Campuses
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 10:42:11 pm »

It real question is "Afraid of what?!"

From what I have read, these were mostly non-violent protests.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 03:18:40 am »

The articles commonly say there are Jewish students among the protestors...

I just want to point out for clarity, there are Pro-Gaza protests, and also Pro-Israel protests.

Also, the two factions have just started getting violent...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 04:56:17 am »

Also, non-violent protests with violent slogans (like "globalize the intifada" or "go back to Poland") are actually quite scary for the opposing side.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 11:25:38 am »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68937775

University security abandons a buffer zone between protesters and counter protesters, masked counter-protesters attack pro-Palestine encampments with sticks, bats, and fireworks, and the police watch on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68933066

Police storm the occupied building using flashbangs, allegations of protesters thrown down stairs by police, and a media interview with a student blocked by the police.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 03:18:45 pm »

Long answer?  They're not afraid.  The anti-freedom pro-genocide right-wing crowd is in support of anti-Israel protests.  Yes, anti-Israel protests, not "pro-Gaza protests", which would begin with destroying Hamas and freeing Palestinians.  There are several reasons for this.

First up, the full-on white supremacist nazi crowd supports killing jews and naturally supports any anti-Israel movements, whatever form they take.  Yes, they are real.  Russia is lead by a Dugandist, for instance, who is very much a nazi by a different name.

Second, they can influence said movements.  You won't hear a word about Assad or, say, Hong Kong in these movements.  Assad in particular, who is a genocidal dictator right next door, and has received very, very little criticism from these 'save Palestinians' movements.  These are, of course, because they are dictators who are approved of by the right-wing pro-genocide movements.

Third.. there are certain movements like the Moonites.  Some people of influence, like General Flynn, want the end times to begin and believe this can be accomplished by moving as many Jews as possible to the middle east, and ensuring continual wars to be going on there forever.  They support any movement that will allow for more war in the middle east, like the current crop of protests against Israel.  They simultaneously support Hamas -and- extremist right-wing Israelite governments because they want war.

That third group is why the Republican controlled house of representatives specifically picked the bill providing arms for Israel to read.  If they had picked one without that, they wouldn't be able to stir up protests against their own decisions.  The members of the house who are these kind of fanatics voted in favor of the bill, while the outright Nazis like Gosar voted against it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 03:38:05 pm »

Brown University agrees to hold Israel divestment vote after pressure from student protesters

Of course, they can just then vote against, and will hav gotten what they wanted for nothing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 03:43:26 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 03:42:40 pm »

One of the most notable things about the protests is that the stated goal (to stop USA from supporting Israel and possibly even sanctioning it) doesn't match the slogans and symbolism of the protests.

To achieve those goals, you don't need to declare that Yemen makes you proud, you don't need to bring Hezbollah flags and Hamas headbands. Replacing American flags with Palestinian flags is also not necessary. Mentioning intifada and from the river to the sea don't fit too well. Constant fight with "Zionist" aka people who believe that some kind of Jewish state should exist is also not about stopping an alleged genocide. And why peaceful protesters in a democratic country need masks is a curious question in itself.

Stuff like

"Stop supporting genocide!"
"Netanyahu is a fascist!"
"Make Israel stop the war!"
"We demand peace!"
"Our taxes have better uses!"
"Stop the bloodshed!"

and similar would make much more sense.

Second, they can influence said movements.  You won't hear a word about Assad or, say, Hong Kong in these movements.  Assad in particular, who is a genocidal dictator right next door, and has received very, very little criticism from these 'save Palestinians' movements.  These are, of course, because they are dictators who are approved of by the right-wing pro-genocide movements.

Well, their stance is - we don't protest against Assad because the US doesn't support him unlike Israel. 
Which is also questionable. US supports Saudi Arabia that waged war against Yemen until recently, everything that can be said about Gaza now could be said about Yemen then. Yet we haven't seen protests.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 04:39:43 pm »

Brown University agrees to hold Israel divestment vote after pressure from student protesters

Of course, they can just then vote against, and will hav gotten what they wanted for nothing.
It's still a peaceful solution.
The more significant promise is that none of the students that participated in the protest will punished.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 05:21:10 pm »

@Strongpoint
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Folly

@EuchreJack

@Strongpoint
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 06:49:08 pm »

Yeah no shit there will be a few violent slogans. From what I know of them it's not even a notable minority of the slogans. Aren't you into free speech?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 07:31:34 pm »

Yeah no shit there will be a few violent slogans. From what I know of them it's not even a notable minority of the slogans. Aren't you into free speech?

It is not how major well-organized protests work. If you bring something more radical than the movement is willing to tolerate, you will be kicked out as a provocateur with the speed of sound.

So either organization is beyond awful or those are tolerated. And those protests don't look like disorganized mobs to me.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 08:31:54 pm »

There are only ever two reasons for anything, regardless of how complex *nods sagely*

These experiences have been deeply meaningful for me, not just on a political level, but also on a fundamentally spiritual one. To see Yale protests once again swept up in accusations of antisemitism denies this experience and invalidates the Jewishness of those calling for an end to the violence in Gaza.

Source: Jewish protester’s experience at Yale
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 [2]