Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1561654 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9285 on: September 29, 2018, 07:28:02 am »

The entire emu war was three guys with 2 guns vs the emus.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: September 29, 2018, 10:34:39 am »

And they wrecked their truck in the process didnt they? Australia really is protected by the best of the best.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: September 29, 2018, 11:02:38 am »

And they wrecked their truck in the process didnt they? Australia really is protected by the best of the best.

They didn't wreck any truck according to links I read. They put a machine-gun on the truck, but they couldn't target the emus while moving and the things were too fast.

And that remark about Australia's soldiers is actually totally out of line. They had a remarkable record of bravery in France and Turkey in WWI, and in North Africa and other places against the Japanese in WWII. Aussie soldiers were noted to be tough as nails.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/atwar/first-world-war

For Australia, the First World War remains the costliest conflict in terms of deaths and casualties. From a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of whom more than 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner.

We literally sent 1/5th of our entire male population to fight in WWI - and those were all volunteers, not via conscription. 300,000 Australians fought on the Western Front in WWI for example.

In North Africa, WWII, a garrison of Australian soldiers managed to fight off Rommel, giving Rommel his first ever defeat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_of_Tobruk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:22:24 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9288 on: September 29, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

Also just putting it out there, the Australians and Kiwis legit did a 300 at Thermopylae against German armoured divisions

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: September 29, 2018, 02:38:12 pm »

I was playing Metal Gear Solid 1 and I realized how truly humiliating it would be to be murdered by your ex friend and associate and have him impersonate you, only to mostly say inconsequential things like "REMEMBER NOT TO SHIT YOUR PANTS... GAMER"
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: September 29, 2018, 02:43:15 pm »

did you like my sunglasses~
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: September 29, 2018, 03:21:33 pm »

Also just putting it out there, the Australians and Kiwis legit did a 300 at Thermopylae against German armoured divisions

I'd like to point out that I never intended to slight Australian soldiers at all. But...

The entire emu war was three guys with 2 guns vs the emus.

This is not the whole Story either. It was initially three guys with two guns, yeah, but two attempts were made. Though they did inflict significant casualties, it wasn't significant enough to achieve their military objective, which was the prevention of agricultural damage from Emus overgrazing farms. In fact, they were swiftly out-manuevered by the Emus in the first attempt. Once the Emus realized they were in danger, they rapidly began setting sentries and this is just the best fucking sentence I've ever got to type in my life, and the sentries proved quite effective at first against the inital attempt. I rather suspect that the soldiers took a quite different set of tactics into battle the second time, which would explain their greater successes and relatively low expenditure of ammo. Ten rounds per enemy casualty is INSANELY good. Probably helped they weren't shooting at people I guess. Anyways, entertaining little tidbit from history and all that. Let me find a stupid war thing Americans did...

That was easy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: September 29, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »

After 1933 they found a more effective strategy in the Emu War - private greed. They put a bounty on emus, and in 1934, 57000 of them were handed in. So if we extend the war metaphor they called in the emu-killing equivalent of Blackwater mercenaries, and those guys were much more efficient and ruthless in the hunt.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: September 29, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »

After 1933 they found a more effective strategy in the Emu War - private greed. They put a bounty on emus, and in 1934, 57000 of them were handed in. So if we extend the war metaphor they called in the emu-killing equivalent of Blackwater mercenaries, and those guys were much more efficient and ruthless in the hunt.

Huh, apparently the farmers requested military assistance again like, every year from 1939 to 1948, but they got refused those times. Probably cuz of the aforementioned.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: September 29, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »

"No, good farmer. We know a lost cause when we see it.

Never again."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: September 29, 2018, 04:51:24 pm »

Also, let's not forget that bounties are a manufactured demand, and if the demand is large enough, someone will manufacture a supply...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: September 29, 2018, 05:32:23 pm »

Im sure emus are edible too. Just minimize the number of bullets you put into them.

Is "eat it" really such a bad solution to our wildlife problems, guys?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: September 29, 2018, 05:46:48 pm »

Im sure emus are edible too. Just minimize the number of bullets you put into them.

Is "eat it" really such a bad solution to our wildlife problems, guys?

The thing is, they're not worth farming and they're not worth hunting, which is why Australian farmers don't stock up on all that free emu meat.

To give you an idea of why they're not worth farming, they do farm then in the USA, and the meat costs $25-$30 a pound to produce. Which is why the stuff never took off.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9299 on: October 01, 2018, 01:56:07 pm »

Lmao this insurance is saying if I die I should immediately contact the product president and insurance team, I can think of a few ways this might be difficult
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 879