Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10976 10977 [10978] 10979 10980 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13430644 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164655 on: April 12, 2024, 10:10:05 am »

Contra Survivors is so obvious I cant believe we didnt think of it before
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164656 on: April 12, 2024, 12:27:25 pm »

Thanks. I mean, good points and I am applying other places. Even my supervisor has encouraged me to and says it is BS that we did so well and are now just kind of screwed for no reason. To be fair though, finding a new job is not easy and it is now a crazy job just to find a job (and I am thankfully currently employed).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.msg8534320#msg8534320

Still haven't heard back, but then it hasn't been a month yet. These things just take forever.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #164657 on: April 12, 2024, 01:15:20 pm »

Seem to have an extra blind spot in my left eye, a little below my centre of vision. Wanders back and forth a bit, so I don't know if I've just got an extra large floater or if something else is up with it.

Got an eye test booked for Saturday, so hopefully that'll clear it up. For all I know it's been there for months or years, my brain's very good at filtering it out unless I'm looking for it and blinking at something bright.

Any chance it followed with a wicked headache, or went away on its own? Migraine aura gives me pretty massive blind spots before the pain kicks in.

Vampire Survivors has announced a collab DLC... with Konami.

And, like. That's weird enough on it's own (VS is incredibly heavily influenced by Castlevania, and them getting to work with the Konami folks is probably something approaching a homage focused indie dev's dream), but the extra sauce is the collab's with the friggin' Contra franchise instead of, y'know, the blatantly obvious.

Wild stuff, in any case.

well, nuts, i already unlocked everything

see, they can remain vampire-free if they don't do the blatantly obvious, though

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164658 on: April 13, 2024, 07:44:28 am »

This is a super trivial WTF, but recently my pharmacy has been using 2" diameter by 3" tall pill bottles for really tiny pills.  Like, my prescriptions could easily fit in the old 1" by 2.5" bottles.  I think my Rx basically is a single layer on the bottom of the new bottle.

They also switched from paper bags to plastic.

It's like they are getting subsidized by the plastic industry or something.

So much waste...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164659 on: April 13, 2024, 08:25:08 am »

Seem to have an extra blind spot in my left eye, a little below my centre of vision. Wanders back and forth a bit, so I don't know if I've just got an extra large floater or if something else is up with it.

Got an eye test booked for Saturday, so hopefully that'll clear it up. For all I know it's been there for months or years, my brain's very good at filtering it out unless I'm looking for it and blinking at something bright.

Any chance it followed with a wicked headache, or went away on its own? Migraine aura gives me pretty massive blind spots before the pain kicks in.
No, my migraine aura are very different. I don't get blind spots, I get double vision and the jagged moving rainbows. Besides, it's been there for at least a week now.

Anyway, optometrist did the usual checkup plus a full 3D scan of the eye and nothing showed up, so it's probably a large floater.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164660 on: April 13, 2024, 12:13:47 pm »

It's my child's birthday week, so have to clean off some drive space on the PS5 for a new game they want.

The WTF: The Disney+ and Prime Video apps are each more than 1 GB.

That's some special kind of impressive to make a video player app be that large.  (To the best of my knowledge, this isn't including downloaded videos either... this appears just to be the app package!)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164661 on: April 13, 2024, 01:43:02 pm »

Idle check suggests a lot of the bloat's either cache buildup or possibly, uh, stuff it just kind of automatically downloaded without direct input. Clearing the cache or doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the app might help? Or at least provide an actual baseline.

1 gig is apparently chump change for those nonsense things, though, the check saw folks complaining about ones eating up 5+ gb just from frikkin' browsing with them.

Size bloat in apps gets pretty ridiculous these days, cheap bandwidth and storage/ram's made for program design that's remarkably and increasingly bad about that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164662 on: April 13, 2024, 01:53:45 pm »

Honestly it feels like programming's gotten a lot worse from when I was a kid. Sure there's been advances, but so many devs seem to work on the basis that there's enough storage and computing power so they don't need to put much work into optimisation and as a result if you fall behind technologically you'll find yourself struggling fast.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164663 on: April 13, 2024, 02:29:38 pm »

Eh... you still see plenty of optimization efforts, it's just... the incentives aren't there for major commercial stuff in particular, basically anything that isn't a passion project or otherwise able to tell timelines to go screw themselves. A coder on a deadline isn't likely to spend more time on optimization than they absolutely have to, and the amount they absolutely have to just isn't nearly as large as it used to be. Add on normal corpo brainrot stuff about shiny website/UI design and you got a pretty nasty mix, especially for folks working with lower end systems.

I don't think I'd say programming's got worse, though, it's just that good ol' capitalism's had more room to do its thing on a lot of programming's expressions, which has had the usual unfortunate consequences for, y'know, actual usability and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164664 on: April 13, 2024, 02:53:43 pm »

It's kind of a combination of factors. On the one hand, the demand for apps has substantially outstripped the supply of good programmers, and the amount of money people are willing to spend on them also isn't enough to pay for really good programmers, and managers often can't tell whether programmers are very good anyway. Like someone said in the programming thread recently, the vast majority of people really aren't capable of becoming good programmers, and so the vast majority of programmers are mediocre and really only know how to repeat stuff. As a result, they do things they way they know how to do them and don't think about the specific needs of a project in the abstract, which is necessary for good design. So the average quality of programming really has declined, not because of any decline in individual ability, but because the ballooning demand for programming means that the bottom of the barrel gets scraped harder.

At the same time, though, the huge decline in costs of bandwidth and storage mean that there's no particular reason to be parsimonious with either. Most end users, overwhelmingly, really do like shiny UIs and don't know or care very much about how much space things are taking up, so they aren't going to pay extra for the effort of making a better but less spiffy app, so you can't afford to do it. Both of these factors contribute.

The alternative, at the end of the day, would be not having a Disney+ or Prime Video app at all, but only having those old passion projects made by obsessives, only accessible to those of us who are able to figure out how to use them. So I'd say the tradeoff is worth it for most people.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 02:59:38 pm by Maximum Spin »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164665 on: April 13, 2024, 03:48:59 pm »

ISREAL-PALESTINE SITUATION IS ESCALATING!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164667 on: April 13, 2024, 05:29:13 pm »

Ah jeez.

China invades Taiwan soon?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164668 on: April 13, 2024, 05:31:51 pm »

If they thought they had a shot they would.  They could almost certainly physically do it, but we're here to lean heavily on them.

Iran's response was expected.  Let's wait and see what the damage is and what israel does back.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164669 on: April 13, 2024, 08:43:08 pm »

They do this expecting israelis to go full israeli such there will be more willingness to coallesce in the muslim world.

This will totally not affect the US presidential election and no other actors were involved in constrcting this scenario.

Can't the us just diverge all the material to ukraine and then full embargo to all nations in the middle east except for caricatures, hatemail and oil to pour on the flames.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10976 10977 [10978] 10979 10980 ... 10988