Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1799816 times)

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.31.25 Phoebus/ASCII
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

@Meph
Speaking of Frost Giants... I played one in adventure mode, and at night (only at night) my character was producing some sort of frost aura (or at least that's what I think it was). However, when massage appeared that certain creature come into contact with it, name of the aura, or symptom or whatever you wanted to place there was "n/a".

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2012, 07:17:00 am »

Ok voted just now for more Workshops and more Complexity. I LOVE to play around in the game with all kinds of things, and more Workshops and Metals etc. makes the game a lot more interesting on the long run (i usually find my Fortresses to be be pretty small, in vanilla df)

Of course, the FPS improvement is GREAT and shouldnt be sacrificed too much (i mean, even with 150 Dwarves, i'm still able to play at 150 FPS flat, if that's not awesome i dont know what is.)

Btw a big big highfive for the Mod Meph, i find myself playing Dwarf Fortress up and down again :D
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2012, 07:43:46 am »

he's not actually removed all that much...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2012, 09:56:09 am »

he's not actually removed all that much...

Suggestions are always welcome for Meph, I should think.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2012, 01:31:19 pm »

Since how the poll is going

there should be two versions:
the suggested Masterwork Dwarf Fortress LITE, and the regular Masterwork Dwarf Fortress

LITE will be the simplier/ close to vanilla
were
Regular will be more complex and feature packed.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »

I can get behind that idea.  A stripped down minimalist version with no frills in terms of trees. stones, soils, clays, food, etc... and the added workshops and what not, religions, mosters etc.

And a MASTERWORK version, that adds the features (religion, castes, invaders, warpstone, etc...) with out modifing any vanillia RAW file, so we get 100's of trees, 100's of stones, 100's of gems, leathers, cloths, foods, etc...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:18 pm »

Masterworking without changing Vanilla files is not possible. But I am thinking about a solution. Something no other mod has done.

The poll shows that some people prefer Simplicity (for gameplay or FPS reasons) and others want more workshops, or invaders, or metals, or whatever... in the end, what the people really want, is something as simple as Options. Personal Settings. And for that I would like to write a little C++ or VB program, that lets you control the settings. I asked the creator of the Lazy newb pack for his sourcecode, see if I can fashion something out of that. :) He changes the init and raws (for aquifier) so I am sure that more changes can be done.

In theory it should offer settings like this:
Trees: Simple  ///   Trees: Vanilla    ///   Trees: Advanced
Plants: Simple  ///   Plants: Vanilla    ///   Plants: Advanced
Metals: Simple  ///   Metals: Vanilla    ///   Metals: Advanced

Warpstone ON///OFF, Aquifier  ON///OFF, Migrants ON///OFF, and so on.

Add a short explanation what each one does. Simple removes every treetype and adds one type called Tree. For people who like FPS and short lists of building materials. Vanilla restores to default, Advanced adds 50+ trees. Along the lines of that.

Or: Invaders, followed by a list of civilizations. A list of workshops... You can just select, (ON/OFF) for any kind you want and apply the change. Same goes for castes, religion, alchemy, metals, and so on. Just one click and you can chose yourself, between Low/Vanilla/High amount of stuff. Maybe base all of that around the core idea of reducing clutter and helping FPS.

I will talk to Deon (Genesis), darkflagrance (Fortress Defense Mod) and some other authors if they would like to contribute. I remember a list of 300+ plants and 2000+ new animals somewhere, there are many possibilities. If he accepts I would leave Hugo_the_dwarf to further help here, because he is online more often then me and has a lot more experience. He also helped ans is interested in this mod. We both would do bugfixes and try to add more content, while I work on the Settings.exe, probably with Visual Basics.

@se5a: I might not have removed too much, but the number of items ingame is significantly smaller. No corpses, no bodyparts, no clothes, less weapon/armor clutter, and the list to scroll through when you build/smelt/decorate/cut/carve and whatever is 50% smaller.

@all: Another idea I had was adding a simple explanation to the plant names. Like: Plump helmet (booze/food) so that people now what plant is used for flour/sugar/dye/thread/food/booze. I myself cant remember this most of the time. User friendliness was one of my goals ;)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

...first that you have a file you do not need, reaction_make_soap.txt. Soapmaking is already defined in reaction_other.txt so it is unnecessary to have that file.

Deleting this file causes DF to crash (does it need to be deleted before world creation or something?)

You need to open inorganic_leather_veok.txt and first erase _TEMPLATE from each INORGANIC entry. These are materials, not material templates .... very confusing to name them templates.
I did this and got a bunch of animal rocks in my butchery. due to:

Edit: Ah forgot one thing. In b_detail_plan_veok.txt all occurences of COMMON_FAT_TEMPLATE should be replaced with COMMON_FAT since we renamed it.
have to do the above to bone as well ( COMMON_BONE_TEMPLATE replaced with COMMON_BONE)
now I get skin in the butchery

not sure it's quite right yet, having problems testing the butcher to soap/leather workflow as my dwarfs keep doing stupid things because they can see zombies which can't even path (and are a fair distance away really).

another note, a pet hellfire turret caused DF to crash, might have been due to burning down a bridge...
redescoverd pastures so I've locked the hellfire turret away where it cant see the zombies and try to kill them (they're really out of range).
also for your help file meph, you might want to note how to place turrets and such, I'm guessing rope and or pastures?
also a little more detail on how the loading bay/wheelbarrow works would be good. (I've yet to build it, I'm guessing it will make sense once I do though)
why is the pot plant under workshops?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »

Potted plant is under workshop, because you can only add workshops or smelters. Chose one ;)

Turret AI is bugged, nothing I can change with modding about that. They do not shoot when they cant path to an enemy. I build them behind channels / fortifications, assigned to a 1x1 pasture, and a long path around it to path to the invaders. The invaders run in shooting range along the channel, and the turrets shoot. Works.

More tactics: Turrets and mines do friendly fire, station them together with golem for a good mix of melle and ranged. The golems are immune to most of the turret/mine effects. Sadly, the same goes for the undead.

Loading/unloading/wheelbarrow: Not done by me, added from another modder. It works like this: Wheelbarrow is a tool, made of wood or stone. The stations are 1x1 workshops. You build a Unloading station next to your stockpile, then a Loading station next to a big amount of raw resources. For example scattered logs far away from base. Now select: Load wood, and a worker with Alchemy (yes, I might change that, so far it is alchemy because of better control. Not alot of reactions do require alchemy) will come with a wheelbarrow. He will gather 10 logs, but them in the wheelbarrow. Now a unlaoding order will automaticaly be issued at the unlaoding station, similar to Butcher a animal and tan a hide. As soon as a skin is aviable, dwarves start tanning. Same here: As soon as a full wheelbarrow is aviable, they will bring it to the unloading station and unload. Long text, but it should explain everything.

For even more info see the original thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96088.msg2744036#msg2744036

I am very concerned about the crashed. I had none so far. Vhrenid got one at embark, you because of Hellfire turret with Dragonfirebreath (yeah, it melts everything) and I remember someone else mentioning one.... that is not good. Sry for that guys.

I will try to upload a bugfix within the next days, wait for answers of other modders and check if my Visual Basics Settings.exe Idea has a solid foundation, or: See if it is possible.

So long,
Meph
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »

Intriguing, this hellfire turret cannot path but did fire.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »

The issue is the sight range in most cases, Magma crabs will shoot even without a path to it's attacker/target.

EDIT:
I have begun working on Frost Giants, First and foremost is fixing the... Formatting, it is all jumbled around. Then making custom natural Weapon BP's and Armor.
Once that is Complete Custom Tissues and then reworking the caste system to include different weapons and attacks.

So Far Formatting is done, Redunant and repeated tags have been removed.

Err... Materials and Tissues are spread out everywhere... I might just have to make all custom stuff for Frost Giants.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:24:05 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2012, 08:56:17 pm »

...first that you have a file you do not need, reaction_make_soap.txt. Soapmaking is already defined in reaction_other.txt so it is unnecessary to have that file.

Deleting this file causes DF to crash (does it need to be deleted before world creation or something?)

Probably need to gen a  new world for most of these changes to take effect. The game would crash if you try to do that with an existing world since you can't add or remove files from already generated worlds and saves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »

I know that the solid_glob attack AI is faulty, the hellfire turret uses Dragonfirebreath. That might work regardless of pathing. Testing has to be done ;)

Bugfix for the major stuff that turned up will come later today. Also a new ASCII version, that uses the original Ascii characters. :)

Good news about the Settings Idea. The author of the newb pack comfirmed what I thought, it is Visual Basics and can be used for filemerging. :) I got the sourcecode and will try to get my hands on VB2008. I'll keep you posted.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

Dragonfire needs pathing. I have my own turret-type creature and I surrounded it with fortifications all around. It did not fire once. I added a door and unless the invaders were right up against the fortification, it didn't fire once. I even chained it and nothing happened until the invaders were in melee range.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT - What does UNDIRECTED_DUST do to furniture (i.e. chains)? I've been meaning to test this out but doesn't it move the chain around?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:13:01 pm by Prologue »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »

Masterworking without changing Vanilla files is not possible. But I am thinking about a solution. Something no other mod has done.
(...)

Every single word of that post is solid gold. Keep up the good work, I really appreciate it.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 749