Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796609 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 0.34.2 - updated phoebus/fixes
« Reply #1140 on: February 22, 2012, 02:06:47 pm »

@kudakeru: Alright then, was a bit worried ^^
@simonthedwarf: no worries. But check again in a few weeks, I on a great bughunt right now.
@ seraphyx: There are no crash reports, that the !fun! in fixing them.

Behold my newest creation (with a healthy dose of help by hugo) You can build armorplates and equip pets with armor. Steel clad war dogs anyone ? :) They can still be trained, and act like normal dogs, just with an armor. This way your pets are even useful late in game against sieges. Plan to do more as well, mastiffs, raptors, grizzlys, whatever... lets see. Horses ? ^^
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can also confirm that the rains work, just had fever inducing nauseating sludge.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:20:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13:01 pm »

@simonthedwarf: no worries. But check again in a few weeks, I on a great bughunt right now.

Behold my newest creation (with a healthy dose of help by hugo) You can build armorplates and equip pets with armor. Steel clad war dogs anyone ? :) They can still be trained, and act like normal dogs, just with an armor. This way your pets are even useful late in game against sieges. Plan to do more as well, mastiffs, raptors, grizzlys, whatever... lets see. Horses ? ^^

I can also confirm that the rains work, just had fever inducing nauseating sludge.

OH SHIT. Armored pets. When will it be out? Is it now? It should be now.  :D

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 22, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »

Meph, a bunch of elephants attacked a landmine but it wouldn't die. The elephants kept gaining experience beating up the landmine for over a year. Finally I opened the gates and was slaughtered.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1143 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:47 pm »

Meph, a bunch of elephants attacked a landmine but it wouldn't die. The elephants kept gaining experience beating up the landmine for over a year. Finally I opened the gates and was slaughtered.
That could be from armor too thick or a broken killswitch.

OH SHIT. Armored pets. When will it be out? Is it now? It should be now.  :D
Still need to get other attacking parts a boost too (stronger teeth, claws) and more then the standard dog. Just got to know what kind of animals Meph wants "armored"

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 22, 2012, 02:39:23 pm »

@Meph - Wow, that was quick - you and Hugo must be Legendary Rawsmiths!
I'm honoured to see my suggestion implemented. Can't wait 'til 1.3  :D

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:21 pm »

If we are running up agaisnt a hard-coded custom reaction limit couldn't would there be any way to just have a general armoured creature reaction? Also for another thing about the hard-coded reaction limit we could always suggest an increase in the suggestion forum. I assume it woulnd't be that hard for Toady to increase it would it?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:45:31 pm by Mr. Palau »
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:58 pm »

One problem, though, I can't find how to make golems. I've done iron casts, and when I imbue life, it only create small "flashes of lifes" or something like that, but that's all it does.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries - put imbue life on /R

Thank you, it worked finally. Now I'm searching how to use and train them...

I'm afraid golems are bugged right now - the no-fear tag isn't working right so they flee enemies. When they are working, though, you use them like war animals - pasture them somewhere useful.

There is an easy solution to this:
  • Acquire a rope or a chain made from your preferred Material
  • Tie one end of the rope to the golem's arm, leg, or any other suitable limb.
  • Tie the other end (not the one with the golem on it) to a static object, like the ground, or a floor.
  • ???

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 22, 2012, 02:58:40 pm »

New stronger dogs have been made (metal plating, metal teeth, metal claws) if their armor breaks it can slowly repair on it's own, but if broken the soft skin and whatnot can be attacked. They also cannot breed

Spoiler: Armored Dog (click to show/hide)

I took them out for a spin in the arena and are fairly decent, a blizzardman punched the dog denting the steel plate and bruising the skin. And sometimes the dogs bite is strong enough to sever body parts.

EDIT (Response to your question in my thread):
Alright. The arena combat logs read a bit weird though. Gets hit in the leg, attacks glances away. Shoudlnt it be: Gets hit in the armor, attacks glances away ? And then: pierces the armor, pierces the skin, and so on. Combat test are ok though, they win 9 out of 10 times against normal dogs, 1:1 against unarmed dwarves, and die against armed dwarves. Maybe the tissue thickness should be slightly higher.

I will make a toy called "animal armor", which needs "armor plates" "metal claws" and "metal teeth" then. It is a bit unbalanced, since you can take 10 dogs and transform that at once, but no way around it. Just tell me when the new dog is done (with the claws/teeth) and I will use it as template for other creatures. I will now go through my pets and see what I want to have in the list. I will also do the graphics.
No it won't be "is hit in the armor" as I did not make them like the Frost Giants (normal bodyparts in armor shell) I mearly cheated and made the armor a tissue layer that covers the skin of all external bodyparts (even shells just in case) so combat should say is hit in the upper leg denting the steel plate
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:02:04 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:05 pm »

Can the dogs be armored with diffrent metals?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 22, 2012, 03:06:25 pm »

Can the dogs be armored with diffrent metals?
Yes the dogs will just have to be placed into different castes for different metals, I would have to re-arrage the creature file a bit to get the proper desired effect, so a STEEL, IRON, BRONZE castes can be made (that would be six castes) easy for me to make. But then Meph would have to make 4 more transforming syndromes with two more boiling rocks for 2 of the new metal types (not to mention transforming syndromes for each new armored pet) and 2 other reactions (bronze, iron) which puts meph closer to reaching the MAX reaction count.

EDIT:
Also Meph if those landmines are broken again:
I guess I can try and fix their killswitch again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:08:36 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 22, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »

New stronger dogs have been made (metal plating, metal teeth, metal claws) if their armor breaks it can slowly repair on it's own, but if broken the soft skin and whatnot can be attacked. They also cannot breed

Spoiler: Armored Dog (click to show/hide)

I took them out for a spin in the arena and are fairly decent, a blizzardman punched the dog denting the steel plate and bruising the skin. And sometimes the dogs bite is strong enough to sever body parts.

No it won't be "is hit in the armor" as I did not make them like the Frost Giants (normal bodyparts in armor shell) I mearly cheated and made the armor a tissue layer that covers the skin of all external bodyparts (even shells just in case) so combat should say is hit in the upper leg denting the steel plate

I'm actually not sure the armored versions should have better damage or attack values. I think the armor should mainly act as a defensive upgrade for weaker pets (dogs) and help make stronger pets have more sustainability. Also purely from a realism standpoint how the hell are you going to make a dogs teeth metal? Dentistry? Putting a suit on them is one thing. Replacing their natural teeth/claws or making them use knives is only reasonable in certain situations. A dogs teeth and paws are not suitable for weapon upgrades. A Raptor? maybe their talons are able to have blades put on them like in cock fighting. So maybe look at damage upgrades a bit more skeptically?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1151 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »

@cheatingchicken: You could also mod in (with ce_add:nofear and likesfighting) the ability not to flee. Like I did for the next version ;) But yeah, your workaround will help people in the current version.

@mr.palau: Maybe. ^^ A remember someone mentioning that narhiril had the same problem after approx. 200 new reaction as well. But i still have about 20 free, no worries yet.

@flobulon: Yep, the basis was given. I had the golem system, hugo the armored bodys. Just a matter of combining both. Guess the whole thing will be done this evening, with a selection of pets, new graphics and a custom workshop for them.

@hugo: thanks.
This is the list, mastiffs easy, just a buffed up dog copy. Rest can be found here:
Raptor : creature_monster_masterwork.txt
Mastiff : creature_domestic.txt,
Horse : creature_domestic.txt,
Grizzly : creature_large_temperate.txt
Elephant : creature_large_tropical.txt

Just sent me a PM, or post the raws here when you are done, no hurry. If it takes 2 days, it takes 2 days...

@ranik: Needs testing and balancing, but even armored dogs cant hurt an armored opponent. It would be like building armor and sending your dwarves into battle without weapons. But testing will show how good or bad the idea is. I had armored dogs fight UNARMORED, but iron-weapon armed dwarves (with no skills) and the dogs had no chance. So buffing up the attack would be reasonable, even if it sounds unrealistic, which has never been a concern for me. I like strategy, not simulation.

@aantn: Thanks for the report, tested in arena: Mines survive unarmed opponents and animals. Did some changes, no Elephants (and other animals) can kill mines as well. Another issue resolved :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:16:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

*Spoiler Animal Snip*

I'm actually not sure the armored versions should have better damage or attack values. I think the armor should mainly act as a defensive upgrade for weaker pets (dogs) and help make stronger pets have more sustainability. Also purely from a realism standpoint how the hell are you going to make a dogs teeth metal? Dentistry? Putting a suit on them is one thing. Replacing their natural teeth/claws or making them use knives is only reasonable in certain situations. A dogs teeth and paws are not suitable for weapon upgrades. A Raptor? maybe their talons are able to have blades put on them like in cock fighting. So maybe look at damage upgrades a bit more skeptically?
Metal jaws that surround the dogs mouth? making it look like a shark with rows of teeth?, and clawed metal boot thingers? They don't acually show up as "Metal teeth" in game I simply made their material out of metal (giving them a combat boost to their defense boost) so attacking their teeth or nails (claws) will still give you "you attack the armored dogs front paw, breaking the paws nail"

I just upped the stats of the nails and teeth

This is the list, mastiffs easy, just a buffed up dog copy. Rest can be found here:

Just sent me a PM, or post the raws here when you are done, no hurry. If it takes 2 days, it takes 2 days...
Guess I will have to download Masterwork then lol, But I will make the Steel pated versions for now. As making metal castes will take time for me to rearrage the creatures raws innards to dance to my will. But the Steel versions should be a snap, could be finished this evening or tonight. Depending how long cleaning the cheese plant takes.

But like I said if you want STEEL, IRON, BRONZE it will take a bit.

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »

@cheatingchicken: You could also mod in (with ce_add:nofear and likesfighting) the ability not to flee. Like I did for the next version ;) But yeah, your workaround will help people in the current version.

@mr.palau: Maybe. ^^ A remember someone mentioning that narhiril had the same problem after approx. 200 new reaction as well. But i still have about 20 free, no worries yet.

@flobulon: Yep, the basis was given. I had the golem system, hugo the armored bodys. Just a matter of combining both. Guess the whole thing will be done this evening, with a selection of pets, new graphics and a custom workshop for them.

@ranik: Needs testing and balancing, but even armored dogs cant hurt an armored opponent. It would be like building armor and sending your dwarves into battle without weapons. But testing will show how good or bad the idea is.

That's sort of my point. Maybe armored dogs shouldn't hurt armored opponents, I see dogs as the weak but common warpet and maybe they should act more as assistant combatants rather than a full fledged dwarf soldier. Maybe the heavier war pets should be more able to represent an actual armed and armored dwarf.

TL;DR Armored warpets make more sense to me scaling from, Meatshields- who can deal with soft targets (dogs)-> Competent- comparable to a normal dwarf to a well trained dwarf (mastiffs, raptors) -> Elite- Represents more than one dwarf of combat value (Grizzly , Elephant)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:21:09 pm by Ranik »

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 22, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

@meph: Why do fancy raw-editing for things that can be solved by tieing it to a rope? :D
Another thing I would like to see: Make the deadly traps found in collapsed walls toggleable. Or better yet, give us some way to disarm them. The only way i can currently think of is to let it be mined by an untrained miner for a lower chance of it dropping the rock which then boils and gives syndromes.

Before, i tried to disarm it by causing it to cavein on a lower floor. Then i remembered that natural rock doesn't get destroyed by this and had a deadly trap right in the middle of my hospital :-/
At this point i just did not care about clever solutions and told my miners to just mine it. What I did not think about was the floor on top of the roof tile, which was now disconnected to anything and dropped on my miners head -.-
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 749