Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1799969 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - for 34.03. Rebalanced.
« Reply #1770 on: March 01, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »

How should it fix hardcoded bugs ? But for the rock nuts: I can add a custom reaction, that would "fix" it.

@slay_mithos: You say the mod is too hard and trapavoid enemies kill you. How about a military, pets, tactics, clever entry hall to trap/seperate invaders, bridge-death-pits, magma, water, ice, fireturrets, not raising your wealth that fast, or, simply: Not adding as many races ? I know there is no setting for goblins on/off, but really, just because they have trapavoid they overrun you ?

@seraphyx: Good luck with your plant list. Some people have done this in vanilla, but not for this mod. Note: All underground plants should grow everywhere with a underground lake and grow all season, while all surface plants grow not in winter. At least the vanilla ones. I did not go through the 250+ Flora/Fauna additions, and I'd be surprised if you do. Positively, but still surprised ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »

Just did some arena testing.  If this has already been done I apologize.

I noticed that although Raptors and Grizzly Bears readily destroy Mastiffs, the Armored Mastiffs beat all the other Armored Animals including the A. Bears and A. Raptors, A. Elephants, etc.

I am not sure if this is intended or a balance issue.  In the mean time, Fire up the Kennels and the Forges Boys, We making some Armored Mastiffs!! 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1772 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

Yep, I buffed up mastiffs long before I made the armored upgrade, since they should be significantly better then dogs, and should take on armored opponents. This + Steel seems to be a bit much.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »

How should it fix hardcoded bugs ? But for the rock nuts: I can add a custom reaction, that would "fix" it.

@slay_mithos: You say the mod is too hard and trapavoid enemies kill you. How about a military, pets, tactics, clever entry hall to trap/seperate invaders, bridge-death-pits, magma, water, ice, fireturrets, not raising your wealth that fast, or, simply: Not adding as many races ? I know there is no setting for goblins on/off, but really, just because they have trapavoid they overrun you ?

@seraphyx: Good luck with your plant list. Some people have done this in vanilla, but not for this mod. Note: All underground plants should grow everywhere with a underground lake and grow all season, while all surface plants grow not in winter. At least the vanilla ones. I did not go through the 250+ Flora/Fauna additions, and I'd be surprised if you do. Positively, but still surprised ;)

I simply wasn't sure if the ungrindable rock nuts was part of Masterwork or if it was Toady's doing. If it was toady's then 34.04 might have fixed it.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 01, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »

@Meph:
Well, I am still not a good player when it comes to defense, and I never have time to set up a 250 Z-level magma pump to help.

Next time, I will try to have a dwarf dedicated to lever pulling and some kind of water trap at least, that should help a bit.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I am not complaining and saying it should be easier, else I would go remove the trap avoid and stuff myself, but it's kind of funny how it almost always end the same for all my forts for the whole year I have been playing dwarf fortress. Basically, some ambush kill enough for a start of tantrum spiral, I manage to get the dwarves back, more or less, and when my military gets a little stronger and geared, I think I can take on a little group of invaders and get corpses of my whole military back instead.

Also, I noticed a big lag starting when I kill the first few geared invaders, which is odd because the added items are way less than what I add by mining, farming and all, getting from 190 FPS to 90 with killing like 10-12 goblins, sometimes a little caravan too, but nothing that big, maybe a hundred items , compared to the 3k stones lying around everywhere, tons of pots, crafts, bins and ammo, multiplicating chickens (serve as chained sentinels instead of cats in my forts) and all.

I never seem to find an embark in relatively peaceful environment, flat terrain (or nearly), river, and a magma pipe not too far down, but still a lot of place without caverns.
For all except magma, I like your embarks a lot, the 25 layers minimum before the first cave really help to get a good basic layout before possibly having to confront the beasts bellow.

Also, I didn't manage to set my marksdwarves to train at archery range, even using the old trick of multiple separate ranges, they just wouldn't use them at all, even if Toady said it should be fixed with 34.03, did anyone manage to use them at all, am I the one not understanding their usage?

EDIT:
Reloaded the save from just before the zombies attack, and even while I managed to save my military, I still have the strange "bug" with the ranged dwarves:
They shot one or two zombies, apparently a dwarf one, didn't kill him, and stopped firing for no apparent reason.
There are zombies on their line of sight, merely 5 squares away, no fortifications, they are on top on a wall. They do have ammunitions, rocktip ones if it has anything to do with the matter.

Upon asking them to kill the targets, they drop their ammo on the spot and complain about not having a path for a fist fight.
Seriously? the fully metal geared didn't stand a chance, yet they want to try teir luck without real armours, and with no contact weapons.
They used to fire all they could and then complain, not reloading.
Also, civilians do get scared when seeing the zombies, so it's not a weird "semi ally" bug.

If it happens to anyone else, I would love to know why they won't target them, I made a copy of the save while having the zombies "trapped" in my airlock entrance in the fort, sadly this fort has only one path for the caravan, and it is trapped just a bridge farther (or closer to my fort).
I can post my save if you think it can help with understanding the problem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:00:20 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1775 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »

Try making 2 person squads, using one high skilled teacher as captian, and 1 untrained recruit. Also: Libraries. They train combat skills as well.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »

How do I remove the Phoebus tileset and play with the curses font again?  I'd like to try some of the 'utility' aspects of the mod, but the phoebus font is bugging out window resizing and causing no end of problems.  I went into the 'init editor' and put back in font: curses_640x300.png - I even manually searched for every init.txt in the folders (six of them!?) and changed the windowed and fullscreen mode lines to read Font:curses_640x300.png - but it's STILL the awful phoebus one, and the window problems persist.

Solutions?

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:17 pm »

I agree about more turn off/on for new features. In my opinion this is by far the best thing about this mod, the ability to select what you want and what you don't want. Personally I don't want to overcomplicate the game, yet. I'd like to get accustomed to the current difficulty level and when I feel comfortable, enable the more difficult and advanced/interesting things.

Also, I want to put together a chart/guide for all the plants. Mostly what biomes you can plant it in and whether they are above ground or below ground. I found the file that lists all the information, however, I'm not positive on what certain things mean so if anyone can point out all the basic information so I know where to look for certain things, that would help a lot. As it is now I can only include what biome and season you plant them in, I would like to include other things as well, like if a plant does something specific (used to create dyes, drinks only, thread and drink, etc...) I'd like to include that as well.

If someone has already done something like this let me know so I don't waste time doing it as well. I tried to search the wiki for something that explains the info contained in these files like it explains with the advanced world gen but couldn't find anything:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. What does [dry] mean? You can plant it without having to "water" the ground or something else?
2/3. You can make syrup out of it, and it is edible, and you can use it for cooking meals at the kitchen. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?
4. No idea what this is, growth rate? And is it important to know or more of behind the scenes things a majority of players wont notice or know about?
5. Anything in this that's useful to the average player?

Thanks in advance.

1: I think [DRY] lets it grow away from rivers/murky ponds and [WET] lets it grow near them, but it could refer to biomes. You can use both if you want. Either way it has no effect on farming.

2. Yes, syrup.

3. This part means the syrup is edible and cookable. This was established for the plant itself up under [STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE].

4. Frequency defines how often this plant appears as a shrub, and cluster size is how many you get when you harvest it as a shrub (affected by herbalism, but I don't know the exact relationship). I'm pretty sure neither of these affect farming, but I could be wrong with cluster size.

5. This gives a plant seeds. Unless you care what colour the seeds are, all that matters is whether or not this line is present. No seeds, no farming, although the plant will still grow as a shrub. Also, you can make the seeds edible and cookable from this section. IIRC rock nuts are edible raw in vanilla.

Further reference:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Plant_token

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 01, 2012, 11:09:33 pm »

Hey Meph, as a small aside, weaker traps makes a whole bunch of really cool balanced and changes to traps, making them utterly awesome instead of spammed disks...

it then makes most of the invaders trap immune -_-

just sayin, i really like the new trap ideas but the only thing they have 'caught' so far is some random ass wildlife.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »

meph - the automatons always seem to die on worldgen. it's extra-weird because they seem to die shortly before i interrupt the worldgen process, even if it stop it at like 50 years of generation... i've genned like 8 worlds straight, using the normal (not advanced) world generation system, and in the vast majority of them, the automatons just get conquered consistently...!

and btw, your trip sounds awesome =) i've worked all over europe, central asia, and the middle east, and i've never gone to half those places =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:28 pm »

meph - the automatons always seem to die on worldgen. it's extra-weird because they seem to die shortly before i interrupt the worldgen process, even if it stop it at like 50 years of generation... i've genned like 8 worlds straight, using the normal (not advanced) world generation system, and in the vast majority of them, the automatons just get conquered consistently...!

and btw, your trip sounds awesome =) i've worked all over europe, central asia, and the middle east, and i've never gone to half those places =D

umm... automatons are loosing world gen fights???
that's strange..

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 01, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »

bombzero - how would i buff em up a little bit?
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:46 pm »

I agree about more turn off/on for new features. In my opinion this is by far the best thing about this mod, the ability to select what you want and what you don't want. Personally I don't want to overcomplicate the game, yet. I'd like to get accustomed to the current difficulty level and when I feel comfortable, enable the more difficult and advanced/interesting things.

Also, I want to put together a chart/guide for all the plants. Mostly what biomes you can plant it in and whether they are above ground or below ground. I found the file that lists all the information, however, I'm not positive on what certain things mean so if anyone can point out all the basic information so I know where to look for certain things, that would help a lot. As it is now I can only include what biome and season you plant them in, I would like to include other things as well, like if a plant does something specific (used to create dyes, drinks only, thread and drink, etc...) I'd like to include that as well.

If someone has already done something like this let me know so I don't waste time doing it as well. I tried to search the wiki for something that explains the info contained in these files like it explains with the advanced world gen but couldn't find anything:
1. What does [dry] mean? You can plant it without having to "water" the ground or something else?
2/3. You can make syrup out of it, and it is edible, and you can use it for cooking meals at the kitchen. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?
4. No idea what this is, growth rate? And is it important to know or more of behind the scenes things a majority of players wont notice or know about?
5. Anything in this that's useful to the average player?

Thanks in advance.

1: I think [DRY] lets it grow away from rivers/murky ponds and [WET] lets it grow near them, but it could refer to biomes. You can use both if you want. Either way it has no effect on farming.

2. Yes, syrup.

3. This part means the syrup is edible and cookable. This was established for the plant itself up under [STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE].

4. Frequency defines how often this plant appears as a shrub, and cluster size is how many you get when you harvest it as a shrub (affected by herbalism, but I don't know the exact relationship). I'm pretty sure neither of these affect farming, but I could be wrong with cluster size.

5. This gives a plant seeds. Unless you care what colour the seeds are, all that matters is whether or not this line is present. No seeds, no farming, although the plant will still grow as a shrub. Also, you can make the seeds edible and cookable from this section. IIRC rock nuts are edible raw in vanilla.

Further reference:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Plant_token

Thanks for the link, that will be very useful. Didn't know they're called "tokens" ;p

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1783 on: March 02, 2012, 12:26:02 am »

Got a little bit done, not much, here the changelog, this time in a new style.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:49 am »

Back again with moods,
He asks for:
stone (took two, so I assume this one is good)
wood (didn't take any, only rough available)
"thread...cloth..." (didn't take any, could take yarn or pig tail ones) The previous took all the silk ones.

I think that might be the second dwarf I loose to mood in this fort, due to them not taking something that is there.

I verified in his description, neither a specific wood or a specific cloth appears, last time it was shells misteriously disapearing and not being used.

I guess 2 out of 5 is not that bad, but I don't remember having that much trouble in DF2010 versions, except when I couldn't get my hands on the materials at all (shells with no shells in the maps and no merchants arriving soon).
Is it possible that at least a part of the simplified materials are not correctly recognized for moods?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 749