Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796637 times)

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok - year 7.  I make enough money to buy stuff and outfit my guys now - but it's been dicey.  Trap avoid is a pain in the ass - as is doing everything with only 20 dwarves. Still no ore - so still no migrants.
From a balance standpoint - i'd say the stonecutter's workshop is abusive. The ability to make rock bins and rock beds makes this a bit easier than it should be.  I'd say the shrines too... i've just avoided using them both because they seem cheaty.
I dont mind the timberyard though - that's interesting - and the plans to make advanced shops is very cool (though they shouldn't be quite so easily available via trade).  It's certainly an interesting mod.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In regards to the book names....

If you want to use "Bible" as a suffix it should be -biblia (latin) or -biblion (greek). That minor correction also seems to take away a lot of the Christian connotations (at least from my perspective ; I never think of Christianity when I hear the word "bibliography").

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok - year 7.  I make enough money to buy stuff and outfit my guys now - but it's been dicey.  Trap avoid is a pain in the ass - as is doing everything with only 20 dwarves. Still no ore - so still no migrants.
From a balance standpoint - i'd say the stonecutter's workshop is abusive. The ability to make rock bins and rock beds makes this a bit easier than it should be.  I'd say the shrines too... i've just avoided using them both because they seem cheaty.
I dont mind the timberyard though - that's interesting - and the plans to make advanced shops is very cool (though they shouldn't be quite so easily available via trade).  It's certainly an interesting mod.

i've just avoided using them both because they seem cheaty.
there you go... i like smart people like you, you understand the concept of "don't like it, don't use it"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the report.

I changed the stonecutter for the next release, the bens, bins and barrels need blocks now, so you need to run your mason for this all the time. Beds also need cloth, so they are harder to do then wooden beds.

Shrines... well, the entire religion system is from 31.25, before all these shiny new interactions. I might make a better system, but not high on the todo list. But 3% is too high for your taste ? You have to pray 33 times for one success.

Blueprints should be more expensive to buy, but it is hard to make civs create an item of a specific material. I am still working on this though. But it does not look like I can fix it...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is always the research lab.  ;D

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there you go... i like smart people like you, you understand the concept of "don't like it, don't use it"
[/quote]

it's worse if a caravan dies and i inherit all that crap... that's the fastest way to a successful and boring fort.  I go out of my way to defend them as a result - not because i care about them particularly - but because i dont want to deal with the temptation of 'if i just go outside and pick that crap up i'll be set'...

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some more fixes:
 - Changed layer permit of platemail. Should be able to wear padded shirts underneath now.
 - Nerfed barbed wire. Now 1:2:3 hits for the different versions, instead of 3:3:3
 - Fixed all the wording for material emissions. Now refer to the proper attacks, each creature has custom text.
 - Replaced all [SOFT] tags with [HARD] even in the new optional clothing, to stop rot.
 - Nerfed turret occurence (one creature with castes, instead of 7, ~85% less turrets with migrants)
 - Acid and Warpstone vapor is green now, as it should be.
 - Removed steeloak_metal and ironbark_metal. Now produce steel and iron instead.
 - Raised value of plants and seeds every so slightly. 1 point. (no spamming seeds at embark)
 - Added [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY] [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] to all friendly civs. For adv. mode.

I'm afraid to say that but armour layer permissions need more fixing. My dwarves stil can not equip Breastplates over mail shirts. Other issues are padded things not being worn under regular armour.

Military screen shows they have all equipped though normal screen says they do NOT.

Here are some screenies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: The guy in the example (Edzul - he's a damn psycho btw) was wearing the mail shirt originally, the breastplate was looted from some poor frogpeople and equipped which resulted in Edzul dropping his mailshirt.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:07:44 pm by UncleCern »
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it's worse if a caravan dies and i inherit all that crap... that's the fastest way to a successful and boring fort.  I go out of my way to defend them as a result - not because i care about them particularly - but because i dont want to deal with the temptation of 'if i just go outside and pick that crap up i'll be set'...

[/quote]

well thats in vanilla also... btw if you dont like the temple stuff you can turn it off...

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and try not to get impractical fantasy-world weapons confused with real ones.

Hey Meph, dwarfs shouldn't be able to use morningstars one-handed. morning stars are rather large maces in most examples i could find.
also another fun fact, im so far unable to figure out what era of war hammer dwarf fortress portrays. the fuedal era kind were pretty much blunt halberds, the imperial era kind were specialized sledgehammers. the most likely match is the earlier example of a stick with a heavy weight. aka.

Morningstars are just normal-sized spherical maces with spikes. They're designed to be one-handed, but you could add heft to your strike by using two. There are lots of mace designs to decrease the impact zone (flanged, winged, knobbed, etc.) but the morningstar is just one that happened to get a cute nickname.

The "sledgehammer" you mention is called a "maul", and it's already in vanilla DF and masterwork. It's a civilian tool for splitting firewood, and in warfare was only ever used for engineering (such as putting in anti-cavalry stakes) and occasionally by archers and levies who had literally nothing better to use. If you think about how quickly you'd be fatigued swinging one, you'd see how useless a weapon it would be (pitchforks and knives were preferred) Generally warhammers had smaller heads than a modern claw hammer, but with a longer handle (especially if they were horseman's hammers) and a spike on the end for stabbing.

Similarly a flail is a mace with the ball connected to the shaft by a chain.  Thus they can be both 2 handed or 1 handed depending upon the weight and balance of the weapon.

Flails were usually just a heavier version of agricultural flails ; a wooden club with a rope hinge. They were popular with Russians and Hussites and almost always were two-handed. The heavy end was sometimes barred, studded or weighted with a metal core. The "metal ball on a chain" type flail are mostly a fantasy-weapon, that design was incredibly rare in history and it's unknown if it ever saw use (outside of one blind Bohemian king who insisted on fighting in battles). In any case, the chain was never more than two or three links long, so it was more like a ball & hinge than a ball & chain.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The "sledgehammer" you mention is called a "maul", and it's already in vanilla DF and masterwork. It's a civilian tool for splitting firewood, and in warfare was only ever used for engineering (such as putting in anti-cavalry stakes) and occasionally by archers and levies who had literally nothing better to use. If you think about how quickly you'd be fatigued swinging one, you'd see how useless a weapon it would be (pitchforks and knives were preferred) Generally warhammers had smaller heads than a modern claw hammer, but with a longer handle (especially if they were horseman's hammers) and a spike on the end for stabbing.

I know about the difference between mauls and warhammers, i was more referring to the weapon with a head like the long handled warhammer you mentioned, but with a shorter shaft, it was used quite frequently in the later medieval era when fighting often involved siegeing a fortress, the main advantage of the weapon was being usable to break walls/barricades like a maul, but the narrow contact point was good for breaking skulls.

hmm... ok so reading your post extra carefully i think i get what you mean, the halberd-esque one i was refereeing too was the one used by foot soldiers, the sledgehammer like one i was talking about was the cavalry one, and the shortened one i was talking about was like the crappy text art one from above, which was used in close combat.
im aware that warhammers are pointed weights, but the short blunt thing on a stick is also a warhammer. not a maul, mauls are war sledgehammers.

(P.S. i know quite a bit about ancient weapons, and i am well aware of the difference between fantasy weapons and RL weapons, please don't act haughty and imply otherwise, no offence, just most people start getting condescending towards me during a debate like this.)

[/rambling undirected likely to be misunderstood post]

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

@UncleCern: Yep, I can watch them step on to a bright green square call Grass and step off a dark green square called peat.  I assume they are eating it.  Maybe they are trampling it before they can eat it but that doesn't seem right.

@Meph and those interested: Update on starving grazers.  I moved them into the caves I made and they are no longer starving.  There is something about the grass outside that is broken.  Not a big deal but I wanted to let you know in case you get this again.  It may be a one time glitch though.

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to see you're still making progress at an incredible rate Meph   ;D

Haven't had much downtime for DF lately, but I still like to keep an eye on things here when I get the chance - even if I don't have time to actually play the game. You'll probably want to remove my metalworking/blast furnace guides from the manual if you haven't already, I should think they're probably outdated by now with the changes to steel production. Your building guides are excellent - pure informational content is much more important than pretty design with these sorts of thing, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to get them done in a reasonable time.
All the best, and I hope your travels are going well!

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Meph and those interested: Update on starving grazers.  I moved them into the caves I made and they are no longer starving.  There is something about the grass outside that is broken.  Not a big deal but I wanted to let you know in case you get this again.  It may be a one time glitch though.

One thing comes to my mind. The grass on the surface is CONTAMINATED BY THE NUCLEAR FALLOUT!

...ohwait.

I'd gladly see if i could reproduce this grass issue but my glaciers have no grass on the surface anyway. Also - what biome did you embark? Evil maybe? Regional disturbance causing grass being contaminated (with nuclear fallout that is)?
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

This was super complicated, but I nailed it. Blueprints will be a bit more expensive next time you check.

PS:Bonuspoints for people who recognize the quote.

About the armor layers: Mailshirts and breastplates are mutually exclusive. You cant mix them. Padded armor and mailshirts are fine, and padded armor and breastplates. Next version will also support padded armor and platearmor.

PPS: @flobulon: I still have about 50% of the building guides ahead of me. It is maddening, I did not realize that there are about 70 buildings I modded.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:08:57 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About the armor layers: Mailshirts and breastplates are mutually exclusive. You cant mix them. Padded armor and mailshirts are fine, and padded armor and breastplates. Next version will also support padded armor and platearmor.

Nice to know. Double testing padded now. I do hope those mailshirts and padded shirts will work.

Also - in vanila one could use mailshirt and breastplate at the same time. Just saying  8)

Also no.2 - what about cloaks? Which clothes/armour do they work with? Finally, does the option "more clothing" enable socks? And if yes - can a dwarf wear socks under boots?

EDIT: padded armour works very nicely with metal armour. I preasume it'll work with leather as well, can't check that atm due to leather shortages (all goes into boots).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:21:27 pm by UncleCern »

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 749