Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796663 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8910 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »

small bug or a design feature? ... that the Golem upgrade reactions can only be done with researched (copper) automaton parts and not with looted/expedition (brass) parts

objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(5513): [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_AUTOMATON:INORGANIC:COPPER]
objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(5520): [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_AUTOMATON:INORGANIC:COPPER]
objects\reaction_masterwork.txt(5527): [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_AUTOMATON:INORGANIC:COPPER]

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #8911 on: February 02, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »

Hello!

I'm playing this mod for the first time and really enjoying it. I have read the manual but have some additional questions not answered it it.

1. Did you program caravans to not arrive in the event there is a siege going on? I'm at year three and it seems that way. I think that's a great idea because I hate losing caravans to sieges (especially now that you've brought diplomats back). Do Drow only come from underground? There is a tower nearby my embark but I haven't seen 'em yet (haven't gone to the caves yet because I'm sitting on piles of bituminous coal so magma isn't really necessary).

2. The (old) Genesis mod had "workshops" that benefited military training, like a weight rack or training dummy, to kind of balance out the two polarized options the vanilla game gives you (barracks training, which is so slow as to be ineffective, and danger rooms, which are the only real option but many consider an exploit). I didn't see anything from reading the manual, but I know it isn't comprehensive, so does this mod have any shops or reactions or strategies added to help with training?

3. Actually, any military tricks and tips that are new to this mod I would love to hear. I'm having fun, but my military is getting worked, which leads me to...

4. Now granted, this is one of the Fortress Defense races, but they are included in this mod, and I assume many players use them, so I feel it's relevant to ask. White Tigermen are described as an "easy" siege race, compared to goblins, but I don't even have 80 dwarves and they sieged me with war dragons which destroyed my raised stone drawbridge protecting my fort. Now, in vanilla, nothing could do that, it basically counted as a constructed wall. How can someone defend against that, especially in the early game? They appear to be trap avoid as well, or at least they sauntered above my cage and weapon traps - maybe they flew, but if then I'd think they would fly over my walls too. I conscripted my whole fort to take them down and I'm not even sure how I won. Some must have run away because it took like a month in game to take down the one that got the furthest.

5. I've had four moods so far, and they all have made bone items. Is this mod more morbid than vanilla, or is this just some funny coincidence? I did like some of the (what I assume is) new imagery, the clawed runed hand and what appears to be more focus on what goes on in my fort than ancient history about some elf killing some semi-mega in the same biome.

Thanks for a great mod!

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: February 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »

@gamerlord - i'm pretty sure you have to put the dwarves in their squad before you transform them to golems... that's what i always did and it totally works.

@maurelius - 1) i'm pretty sure caravans don't arrive during sieges in vanilla. they know better. 2) you can train combat skills in the relevant library. 3) that you're getting worked is good. you don't want it to be too easy, right? =D 4) i don't know how they destroyed your raised stone drawbridge - was there a gap in front so they couldn't walk right up to the raised bridge? i make sure there's nothing they can stand on to hit it from. 5) i think that's just you - i've had plenty of stone, metal, wood, leather, etc mood items.
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:53 pm »

1.  Drow traders come from aboveground.  Caravans will avoid sieges but sometimes arrive sort of simultaneous to a siege and get massacred, I *think* this is all vanilla behavior (but it has been a long time since I play vanilla ^^)

2.  In dwarf mode try the library system or organize small squads which promotes sparing.  Orc mode has military training buildings, the Weight Set and Bloodbowl pitch which use training swords and etc.

3.  Don't know where to start :D   First few years aren't so different from vanilla other than use turrets, golems, armored warbeasts as first line of defense.  Mechanized crossbows are a huge upgrade if you see any for trade.  Later of course you get the special workshops up and running and have elite gear, or mages, or all sorts of stuff.

4.  It is a random element, but when FD races happen to get a hold of any of Meph's elite warbeasts, they get much, much, much harder.  I don't have advice to give other than, be glad they weren't magmahounds or plaguebearers :)  I don't know how they destroy your bridge though.  Did you use a (flammable) wood or bone mechanism in the bridge?

5.  Dunno.  Mine are always iridium.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »

4.  It is a random element, but when FD races happen to get a hold of any of Meph's elite warbeasts, they get much, much, much harder.  I don't have advice to give other than, be glad they weren't magmahounds or plaguebearers :) 
Yes that is what it is, if they happen to have have trained something more dangerous than themselves their sieges are more difficult.
My goblins ride war giant blight bats and fly right over my walls, my automatons ride dragon raptors and unicorns.

I don't know how they destroy your bridge though.  Did you use a (flammable) wood or bone mechanism in the bridge?
From the wiki.
Code: [Select]
Dragonfire is so hot that it can destroy bridges made of almost any material, but a bridge made of adamantine can sustain dragonfire for extended periods of time before it melts.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: February 02, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

Wow, thanks! So it sounds like I just got a poor dice roll in worldgen. Dragonfire, man. I made the bridge out of siltstone. Aside from Adamantine, I wonder if different stones would resist it for longer periods, or say copper. I have tons of bit.coal and tetra so that's what I will try.

Does this mean every tigerman siege will come riding dragons, or is it random within each siege?

I'll check out the library...guess I need some vellums or papyrus. I haven't used any of the new workshops yet so that's pretty exciting. Hopefully if the current siege goes away I'll get the dwafr caravan and can buy some turrets or a golem, though I don't think I have 17,000 dwarfbucks worth of chalk crafts.

Thanks for your help!

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: February 02, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »

Wow, thanks! So it sounds like I just got a poor dice roll in worldgen. Dragonfire, man. I made the bridge out of siltstone. Aside from Adamantine, I wonder if different stones would resist it for longer periods, or say copper. I have tons of bit.coal and tetra so that's what I will try.
If you have anything magma safe it will be better than copper.
If you don't have any magma safe stones green glass blocks would be easy to make if you have some sand.
You probably want to replace it with steel, mithril, or slade since they have high melting points.

Does this mean every tigerman siege will come riding dragons, or is it random within each siege?
Not necessarily, they may not bring them every time, but there is a good chance they will.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:12:41 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: February 02, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »

Actually, sorry I have one more question. I miss the Lazy Newb Pack Phoebus where marble is green with the little white cheese-ish icon and siltstone and microcline don't look like a bunch of dots. I know the mod comes with a Phoebus graphic arranger-er, anyone know the settings to get the LNP look?

Thanks again!

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: February 02, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »

If you don't have any magma safe stones green glass blocks would be easy to make if you have some sand.
You probably want to replace it with steel, mithril, or slade since they have high melting points.

Netherwood Logs have a fixed temperature, so they should be immune to heat damage I think. And a quick raw check shows that Iridium is as good as Adamantine
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:49:37 pm by Nice Save »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: February 02, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »

Netherwood Logs have a fixed temperature, so they should be immune to heat damage I think. And a quick raw check shows that Iridium is as good as Adamantine
Netherwood might work though I don't know how the dragonfire damage works so it may still get destroyed eventually.
Iridium is rare enough he might not have enough to build a bridge but it would be good if you have it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:31:25 pm by arclance »
Sigtext

b22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:57 pm »

Any chance this mod changed anything related to migration waves? I am used to get 20-60 migration waves in late game and here I got 6 in 4 years... its as if I have population cap of 20 and atm 4 of them are children... I am considering concubines as last resort, but it will take a lot of time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »

Any chance this mod changed anything related to migration waves? I am used to get 20-60 migration waves in late game and here I got 6 in 4 years... its as if I have population cap of 20 and atm 4 of them are children... I am considering concubines as last resort, but it will take a lot of time.

Zero chance. Mods can't change anything related to migration waves.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:33 pm »

Well it all came crashing down. The white tigermen came back with more dragons and plaguebearers this time. My entire army was outside fighting mantis men (figured it would skill them up faster than training in a barracks) when they arrived, and bravely/foolishly charged into battle. The gates were left open as the futility of further struggle was evident.

In other !!Fun!! news, I had a five tile wide entrance for merchants (using raised bridges up to the edges of the map) and a siege of beak dogs materialized in that exact spot. Not one of the 20 or so of them was outside it. I was able to fight them off but that's about when I realized Masterwork was just toying with me. Only once in vanilla did goblins ever spawn inside that gap and it was like two of them our of of siege of like 60.

I'm sure I'll eventually get better at this. :D

b22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: February 02, 2013, 09:01:48 pm »

Zero chance. Mods can't change anything related to migration waves.
I know that migration waves has a link to caravan head count, maybe I fucked up something here?

Any suggestions? maybe if gift/export only to the dwarfs it will help?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: February 02, 2013, 09:04:47 pm »

Sometimes your civilization is dead.  Do you see anything unusual if you check them out on the 'c' menu ("this land has no important leaders," for example)?  If you didn't steal the caravan blind or get all your migrants killed, it's possibly that.  You can tough it out, or abandon and see if you can re-claim as a more thriving civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 749