Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Gluttony in the Brutal Tundra: A Community Fortress  (Read 6540 times)

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gluttony in the Brutal Tundra: A Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Note: You will notice an upgrade to the graphics set department...

Commander's Log, 9th of Galena
I've figured out a way to make things for trade - assign Redcoe, a Mechanic with not much to do, to making crafts out of the turtle shells. It'll be great!

13th of Galena
My office is being created right now, and also, we have made a door in order to lock up the old bunker. Soon, we will seal it off with a wall, but for now, a door will do.

26th of Galena
Now that I have an office, I am going to start updating our records... Unfortunately, I may end up like Segrin if I do too much of it...

27th of Galena
While the brewery I requested has indeed been built, the drinks I ordered still haven't been brewed. Upon investigation of the fortress records, I notice that nobody has been assigned to brew drinks! I changed this at once, assigning Din Dan Dunderdun on the job.

1st of Limestone
Autumn has come, and it's feeling colder than usual. I really hope winter isn't horrible, though I think it may be otherwise. Also, I decided to put Dwolin on active duty near the entrances, as in my homeland, kobolds love to strike in the autumn. While I doubt that kobolds would ever come this close, I may be wrong.

4th of Limestone
Our great Coldpalace has finally began producing drinks! To celebrate, I do half of the work I normally do. Of course, seeing that I don't work, there's no difference, but I digress.

5th of Limestone
Puppies! One of our dogs has given birth. For whatever reason though, they don't seem to like me much. Also, it seems that the zombie muskoxen have been replaced by zombie elk...

10th of Limestone
It seems that a wagon has come in the distance. Could this be a dream? Why would traders come down here, unless they were coming to save me?

12th of Limestone
Well, the wagons had traders, but for some reason, they are actually here for trade only. They sent a liaison to ask what I want for next year! They expect me to stay in this place for another year! Well, this sucks.

Anyway, I ordered some drinks and an anvil, since if I am really going to stay here, I at least should be able to get drunk and listen to heavy metal. Today, we also got our shell crafts completed, and they were sent to the depot right away.

14th of Limestone
The liaison is acting kind of strange lately. He was hanging around down in the fort, and when he left, he said, "Thanks for arranging the export agreement!" I only talked to him about imports, and then he went down into the fortress, while I was outside. It's like he thought he was talking to me...

As for the trading, our shell crafts couldn't even buy us a pig tail sock! Great idea, Segrin... I did get us some pig tail cloth though. During the trading, I noticed a foul odor... aparantly, they brought a horse, a cat, and a dog in cages, and they've died from the weather. And it's not even winter yet. God, I'm scared.

16th of Limestone
After the disappointing trade, I've left the depot, and continued working on stockpile records. Even though I told the merchants to go away, they still stay there, out in the cold...

18th of Limestone
Segrin has been doing some strange digging work lately... though he managed to discover some gems! Milk quartzes, to be exact. I ordered all of them dug up immediately. Next year, we'll have something of value to trade...

5th of Sandstone
Segrin seems to keep hiding away from the rest of us... I wonder what he's doing. Was it something I said?

14th of Sandstone
Finally, the merchants leave. If they weren't here to save me, then they have no place in my glorious Coldpalace!

23rd of Sandstone
It seems like the injured wardog hasn't healed at all... He's unconcious at the moment. You'd think he'd have healed by now, but obviously not.

27th of Sandstone
Another addition to this fort is a well. Somehow, there's liquid water in this frozen tundra, where it snows even in the summer.

1st of Timber
Personal bedrooms are being built now, though strangely, Segrin's room seems to be elsewhere... Something strage is indeed going on. My room is the biggest of all, of course, and it is separate from the other rooms.

8th of Timber
More foreigners on the horizon! However, it seems like these dwarves have come to stay, unlike those stingy merchants we ran into earlier. We have:
- 1 Tanner, Female
- 1 Furnace Operator, Male, w/ kitten
- 1 Lye Maker, Female, w/ Donkey foal and puppy - Candidate for the draft
- 1 Cook, Female
- 1 Peasant, Male - Candidate for the draft
- 1 Blacksmith, Male
- 1 Bowyer, Female

That doubles our population, putting it at 14.

Also, Segrin seems to have removed himself from the hauling labor lists... I would say something, but I don't want to call to attention the fact that I do the very same thing.

----

So, the immigrants may be claimed at any time.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

Dwolin's log, 2nd of Limestone:

I've recieved new orders from our leader. I'm talking about the true driving force behind this stronghold, not that Dunderdun fellow. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he always has such nice things to say about my hair, but I know the real orders come from Splime. I'm perfectly fine with that, I think I'd rather have a boss who I dislike that one as boastful and pretentious as Din Dan.

Anyway--my orders are to guard the enterance to our citidel from Kobolds. KOBOLDS! This is the first time I thought that the cold air had gotten to him... No creature that can think properly would willingly come out here to raid our little hole in the ground. Hell, the only reason I'm here is to make a name for my clan by... well, by pleasing the blood god of course.

Dwolin's log, 8th of Timber:
More people suffering from madness have arrived here. It's so damn cold.. perhaps one of them will be a male strong enough to share a bed with me. For now though the only thing that gives me warmpth is the slaying of undead wildlife. It isn't glorious, but it's a job fitting of a warrior, and I'm sure I'll be paid well when time comes to be paid.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

I'll take the to-be-drafted peasant male.

Name: Sandono.
Title: Goldbeard.

A marksdwarf if you easily can otherwise anything you want.

t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

Yeah, you can be a marksdwarf. Even though I didn't bring a crossbow and arrows along, there's one at the fortress, since Dwolin got one anyway...

I'll have your stats up in just a bit.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

By the way, your wife is a cook.

I'll have the next update up tomorrow, I'm too tired at the moment.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

Commander's Log, 11th of Timber
Of the immigrants, I have recruited two into the armed forces. A peasant, named Sandono, is now a Marksdwarf, and the Lye Maker is now a Wrestler. Since this means he'll be sparring Dwolin, he may not survive... Though, that wouldn't really be a setback, seeing how useless he is.

9th of Moonstone
I thought seeing less of Segrin would be impossible. I was wrong. I almost never see him now. I think he's hiding something from us.

16th of Moonstone
Segrin came back out today, as he struck gold! As soon as we get an anvil, we'll be rich! I've ordered a stockple of this gold ore to be made.

3rd of Opal
Segrin doesn't seem too happy about the traffic going through his room to get to the gold... But I'm forcing him to not complain.

4th of Opal
Apparently, Segrin is more upset than I thought. He's locked his door! He'll starve!

11th of Opal
Atollebes seems to be upset over Segrin's departure, moreso than the others. I hope this doesn't harm our fortress... the crops haven't been growing in our farms, so more departures would be horrible. To fix the farm problem, I've made our tanner the new farmer.

17th of Opal
Sandono has been promoted to the rank of Marksdwarf now, though he still keeps his profession name as Goldbeard.

25th of Opal
I'm actually starting to worry about Segrin. I really hope he comes back. We only have one miner without him.

6th of Obsidian
For some strange reason, Dwolin seems to be wrestling more than axe-fighting. It must be that Wrestler, tainting his mind.

22nd of Obsidian
Din Dan Dunderdun did a great thing, and burst into Segrin's hideout, so I could get the gold again. Segrin is incredibly angry now. I do hope he calms down. We also found some booze and plants, so we did the right thing, and stole them. This is what we uncovered:

1st of Granite, 1052
Well, it's been a year in this insane palace. To mark the occasion, and to punish Segrin, I made him map our fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

Damn, you found me.

(almost came out "dan, you found me", which would've been quite appropriate as well.)  I would also like to add that that is a beautiful hideaway.  I love it.  I'll have to take time out from the Woodsman and DnG! to write a couple thoughts from our slightly deranged miner...  

He has a perfectly good reason to feel this way, of course.  Nobody comes out of the abyss as the same person who went in.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Unfortunately, there's a few bugs with the isolated hideaway, which prevented Segrin from eating some of the food and drinking the booze he made. I think it's to do with outsiders trying to take his stuff... Still, that doesn't mean this won't happen again.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Glorious Commander's Log, 1st of Granite
I have done enough stockpile work to be considered a "Legendary Record Keeper". From now on, my title will be Glorious Commander, to suit my Legendary Status. Also, I ordered 20 more shell crafts, in case any more caravans come by.

6th of Granite
I decided to build a small lookout room near the gold vein, to ensure that Segrin doesn't do any more funny business. Soon, I'll put someone in there to look out for him... probably Atollebes, since she cares so much about whether Segrin is still around.

13th of Granite
The 13th is always unlucky, as proven by the arrival of elves today. Hopefully, they'll be good. But I doubt it. I ordered our shell crafts to be moved to the depot.

15th of Granite
The elves have finally arrived, coinciding with a snow storm. What they're doing in this barren treeless tundra is beyond me. I got the troops outside, in case anything happened.

18th of Granite
I finally got around to going to the Depot three days later, but then decided to get a drink.

19th of Granite
The elves are bad luck! a war dog has been killed by a trap!
Also, This is when I actually came to the depot. I offered the elves my turtle shell crafts, but they were offended, so they left. Without some of their stuff. OK, so I may have forced them to give up some of their cloth, but elves are evil, so they deserve it. However, since the elves were so slow to leave, we seized some more stuff. Overall, we gained two bins of rope reed cloth, and some berries.

24th of Granite
The elves finally left. However, it was faster than the dwarf caravan leaving, so I have to credit them with that much.

6th of Slate
More damn immigrants! Though, if they become my loyal slaves, it'll be fine. Anyway, the list of immigrants is as follows:

2 Bowyers, 2 Female
1 Weaver, Female
7 Peasants, 6 Female, 1 Male (1 Female has a mule) — Females = Candidates for Loyal Slavedom to the Glorious Commander, Male = Candidate for Draft
2 Animal Dissectors, 1 Female, 1 Male — Candidates for Draft
1 Hunter, Male
1 Planter, Female
1 Cheesemaker, Male — Candidate for Draft
1 Clothier, Female
1 Miner, Male
1 Fish Cleaner, Male — Candidate for Draft
1 Engraver, Male
1 Jeweler, Male
1 Herbalist, Female — Candidate for Draft
1 Fishery Worker, Female — Candidate for Draft
The population is now 36, meaning we got 22 immigrants

With this immigration, we can have a sheriff. I was going to claim the spot, but Din Dan Dunderdun says we should vote. (Please, everyone, vote for who you think should be our sherrif.)

Also, I sent Dwolin out with the other hunter in order to get the regular elk which seem to have appeared.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

Great start Splime, I really like the captioned pictures ... I may uh *cough* 'borrow' your idea =)
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Thanks. Oh, and borrow away! If it will make the community pirate ship any better, I'll gladly allow it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

I vote for Atollebes for Fortress Sheriff

Atollebes: "As Sheriff, I promise to use my authority to ensure we have an efficient dungeon, something we can throw anyone who damages our precious wood resources in!"

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

By the way, can I see the diety page on "Stettad Ertal Ber"?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

Better yet, all gods of the fortress:

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

Din Dan voulenteers because Din Dan is the best for the job and Din Dan will keep the fortress safe!

(While I wouldn't mind seeing Din Dan get slapped around a bit, I'd go for Dwolin, for the axe beatdown potential, or some generic dwarf, so we can all be imprisioned equally. And that's one heck of an immigration wave...)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6