Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Mishos Okbod, beach of the damned  (Read 8975 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mishos Okbod, beach of the damned
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

Seeing all the other community fortresses around makes me want to make one myself! It could also prove a good chance to brush up on the old writing skills.

So, to start off, the basics. This is where our most unfortunate dwarves will end up.

Bounded by the Creepy Gulf to the south and the Forest of Zealots to the north, their prospects are indeed grim! The seas crawl with the skeletal whales who shipwrecked them, yet their flight is impeded by the hoards of Undead Pachyderms that lurk in the dim foliage.

So who is with me? Who else will choose a chance at life over a certain death and make for the shore, abandoning the sinking Migrurudil to attempt to survive at Mishos Okbod; the beach of doom?

Choose your dwarves with care, ladies and gentlemen, for much hangs in the balance.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: GRead ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Mishos Okbod, beach of the damned
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

Dozmud, the ship's cook.  I'll fend off the undead hordes with my trusty ladel and one of my famous beer stews.  My pet dog might help with that, too.

Pity there's no magma there.  

Also, you do know how to set up a desalinization plant for fresh water, right?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

Imp, the shipwright. Good with carpentry to patch up those leaks, his axe shall be the bane of both trees and fiendish beasts alike.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Make me the powerful trader by day, and brutal hammer dwarf by night. Name: Sir Ian Watson the 3rd

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Dozmud, the ship's cook.  I'll fend off the undead hordes with my trusty ladel and one of my famous beer stews.  My pet dog might help with that, too.

Pity there's no magma there.  

Also, you do know how to set up a desalinization plant for fresh water, right?</STRONG>

Well, I wasn't running prospector, so there is the possibility, however slim, that there is an underground vent there. I've found running prospector seriously dents my enjoyment of the game; I spend more time looking for and fretting over a suitable site than I do having a fun time with a fortress.

And yeah, I've played on a couple ocean maps before and have set up useable water sources before. I've also blown attempts to expand said reservoirs horribly, but that's all part of the fun!
That and wondering why the pump operator threw her baby in the ocean, and then jumped in after it.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

Wait, how do you make salt water drinkable?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

If you dig out  small cistern and cap it with U-shaped wall with the opening facing the ocean, waves should wash into it. Waves are actually made up of fresh water for some reason, so you end up with a steady supply of drinkable water, albiet at a very slow pace.

At least that's what I've heard. Never actually played on an ocean map before to tell you the truth.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

Actually, it's easier than that.  

Construct a few walls, and then build a pump that will pump water into your artificial reservoir.  Any water that is pumped into this reservoir, be it freshwater or saltwater, will turn into perfectly drinkable freshwater.

This makes it very nice on saltwater maps, where rivers, brooks, ponds, aquifers and the ocean are all saltwater and cannot be otherwise used.

EDIT: Also, it seems to me that if the reservoir ever touches a natural wall instead of an artificial one, it stops working and turns into saltwater.  I'm not sure about this, though.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

I'd like to request a dwarf.
Name: Beard.
Profession: Any.

I'm not fussy, I know they're probably doomed.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

Hmmm, haven't join in on one of these yet. I'll take a dwarf named Runesinger (can be male or female). A mason/engraver with dreams of creating a fortress so grand that every dwarf will long to live there. Not so sure those dreams are going to come true in this place, though...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG> Also, it seems to me that if the reservoir ever touches a natural wall instead of an artificial one, it stops working and turns into saltwater.  I'm not sure about this, though.
</STRONG>

Actually, I can confirm that this is not necessarily the case; in my last ocean fort, after constructing the ocean wall to hold the waves at bay, all I did was carve a section of the beach out near the cliff and pump water into it, it designated as a drinkable zone and my dwarves did indeed use it. there may, however, be some other unnaccounted for factor that might return it to being saltwater, especially since I had previously tried the wave trick out of laziness (I didn't have pump parts at the time and my carpenter was busy), and it had remained saltwater in the natural hole.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

I'll join in the insanity.

Nickname : "Dart"
Skills:
Novice Swimmer (L1)
Bone Carver (L2)
Competent Bowyer (L3)
Skilled Marksdwarf (L4)
Personality: Either Antisocial or slightly unbalanced. Or both. If you can get somone with either of those and a grudge I would be appreciative.
Gear: A Crossbow, four logs, a quiver, and a stack of bolts.

Nobody really questioned when a young dwarf simply appeared on board the Migrurudil one day, helping in the operation of the ship. Some say that the captain took a liking to the lad, while others say that he was too useful (and it was too cruel) to throw him overboard into the dark waves of the Creepy Gulf.

"Dart", as he was called by his shipmates for lack of a better name, has always been quick to help wherever he could, hauling this and that. It wasn't untill the day of the crash when the other dwarves saw him swimming though the water, grasping at the flailing hands of his companions to pull them onboard a makeshift raft, the previously unseen crossbow stapped tightly across his back, did it occur to them that there may have been more to this young man than meets the eye.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

Name: Huarch

Profficient axedwarf.

I want to live, dammit.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 01:48:00 am »

Name: Trask

Profession: Any military

I want to defend the the fortress against the Undead Hoards!

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

name: Mulch Diggums. marks dwarf bone worker and mechanic! Spread the points out evenly in those..Also..I want him to like cats. If you can
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10