Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33

Author Topic: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 31779 times)

testmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 2)
« Reply #420 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:36 am »

Since it's my thing, I should probably support it

Quote from: Votebox
Bravely Inkantry: (1) TricMagic
Mark 2 Ink tank: (1) TricMagic
Pocket Spray (3): SamSpeeds, NUKE9.13, testmen
Wanted Posters: (0)
Umbrella Armor: (0)
Close Air Panic Bomb (1): SamSpeeds

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 08, 2019, 03:16:56 am »

Revision : Pocket Spray (Easy Difficulty)
3+4+1 = 8: Unexpected boon

The Pocket Spray works. Granted, Inklings aren't really sure why the effort was put in to make it work, as it doesn't actually heal an Inkling faster then just taking a quick healing break in their own ink already and, unlike a healing bath, needs someone else to do it to you. Oh, sure, it can also be used as a short ranged weapon... but its not really a good weapon. The dilution of the Ink into Ink Fog might make it painful, but it's generally less efficient then just shooting the Octoling in question. Likewise, normal Inkarms are superior at inking up territory, despite its spraycan like appearance.

Granted, it can still be used to create concealing smoke clouds, with more control over the shape and area of the smoke then a normal smokebomb... but a normal smokebomb covers a larger area much faster. All in all the Pocket Spray is easy to use, no more expensive then the item it was based on, and reliable, suffering only from the fact that almost none of the Inkantry see a reason to use it. Commander Cauldo does point out that it could be useful at signals and communication duty if it was loaded with glowing ink instead of normal ink. So the designers add 'glowingness' to the mix and now it glows, so at least it can be used for that?

On the other tentacle, the Ink fog is nice and refreshing to 'bath' in, and some think it might be salable on the open market as a luxury product. Depending on how sales go, perhaps the extra profit could be used to fund additional design studies.

Costs 2 Plastic and 3 Super Sea Snails, making it Expensive. Gain a +1 bonus to next season's Design Roll.

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inkling Armory (click to show/hide)

The Deployment Phase of Winter, Year 2 has begun.
Please vote for which two fronts reinforcements should be actively deployed to in an attempt to push forwards, and where heroes and superweapons should be sent.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2019, 03:41:47 am »

Okay, so, that was a waste of a revision. Whoops. In fairness, the fact that lings can regenerate by taking a dip in ink isn't mentioned that often. Still, we should've known.

Anyway.

We need to push the Octolings back in the Towers. Air power has consistently been mentioned as a major factor there, so the Thunderbird should go to that front. I think we should also send Commander Cauldo there, to maximise the advantage of the Thunderbird- I'm sure he would love to be able to deploy a squad of paralings behind enemy lines, and now he can.

Aoi, meanwhile, I reckon we send to Port Mackerel- I figure the close confines of the alleyways and buildings will make her close-combat abilities stand out. Alternatively, we could send her to try and nab back a Zapfish.

Quote from: Plan A
Push Moray Towers and Port Mackerel/Calamari Country
Deploy the Thunderbird to Moray Towers
Deploy Commander Cauldo to Moray Towers
Deploy Aoi the Painter to Port Mackerel

Plan A: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 08, 2019, 08:52:38 am »

Quote from: Plan B
Push Moray Towers and Port Mackerel/Calamari Country
Deploy the Thunderbird to Moray Towers
Deploy Aoi the PainterDeploy  to Moray Towers
Commander Cauldo to Port Mackerel

Port Mackerel will be close range with many alleys between the crates. During the battle for the Fax machine, Commander Cauldro dealt with Dofley with his tactics leading their forces around by his own plan, not theirs. The Superweapon will do well to deny air advantage at the Towers, and Aoi can fight in the close hallways as leader and individual operative as necessary.

Dofley is out for the season, so the Commander can push them back with tactics alone, making use of the battlefield to our advantage.

Plan A: (1) NUKE9.13
Plan B: (1) TricMagic

I am also disappointed in the Spray, but hopefully it may boost our resources for later. At least it offers us another DESIGN bonus for next season.

Also, NUKE, I did design the Inner Spirit ability to BOOST recovery, all inklings can already heal. At least it was easy, and I hope the sales do go well in the future. Maybe a Social design for next season?

Actually, that healing Exp would go well with the Inner Spirit Ability, wouldn't it? So +2 next season on top of a jumpstart, giving it at least a 4, at worst.

testmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:43 pm »

Plan A: (2) NUKE9.13, testmen

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:53 pm »

Port Mackerel will be close range with many alleys between the crates. During the battle for the Fax machine, Commander Cauldro dealt with Dofley with his tactics leading their forces around by his own plan, not theirs. The Superweapon will do well to deny air advantage at the Towers, and Aoi can fight in the close hallways as leader and individual operative as necessary.

Dofley is out for the season, so the Commander can push them back with tactics alone, making use of the battlefield to our advantage.
I think Cauldo will be better able to make use of the Thunderbird's abilities. Not that it wouldn't be useful alone, but he'd be a force multiplier, where Aoi would be merely a force addition. Yes, Cauldo would also do well in the Port, most likely, but so will Aoi.
I'm not sure where you're getting close hallways in the towers from- from the BRs, it sounds like most of the fighting takes place on rooftops. In fact, I'm pretty sure Aoi would be significantly less effective in the Towers than in the Port.
And it's more important that we push them back in the Towers, as they are much closer to our HQ on that front.

...also, Dofley was stealing a Zapfish last turn when we got pushed back on both fronts. I'm not sure why you think him being absent again will make us invincible.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2019, 12:35:36 pm »

Excuse me while I snicker...

snickers

Really? You do realize that we didn't send any forces to Moray Towers last season, right?

If it wasn't for the superweapon, the Inklings might have managed to push the Octolings back out of the towers through the superiority of having a shooter and a blaster weapon and better, if no longer flatly superior, snipers. But the Typhoon is here, and so the Inklings get forced back once more.

We're sending the Superweapon there this season, with our forces as well. With Air Superiority, we shouldn't have much trouble there this season.

Port Mackerel meanwhile needs a defense. Aoi won't be the greatest of help there. Sure, the place will likely be close range, but Lings can also use the tops of containers, most likely. It's a new area too, so Commander Cauldro's tactics will push them back out before they have a chance to get settled in. Then next season will be Spring in Calimari Country, rather than Spring at the Port if they do manage to get settled in.

Granted, this is all guesswork, really. They could just decide to go for Mount Nantai instead. Which would be interesting, given no battles have been fought their in the winter season.

As a final note, why do people keep thinking that pushing into the Canyon multiple times is a good idea We always got pushed back to the Mount in those times from one thing or another..

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 09, 2019, 08:10:50 am »

Excuse me whilst I calmly and respectfully point out the flaws in your arguments.

I just went and re-read the BRs. Unless I missed something, there has never been any indication that where we choose to deploy reinforcements has any impact on our defensive ability. So, regardless of whether or not I remembered our exact troop deployment last turn, it doesn't change the fact that we got pushed back on both fronts without Dofley's help.

The deployment of the Thunderbird will help, but we don't know what the enemy has developed this turn. If I were them, it'd be something to help push the Towers, though, as they're very close to our capital on that flank. To cement our victory, we need a hero who has demonstrated their competence in the area already, who can make the best use of the strategic and tactical advantages that the Thunderbird offers.

Port Mackerel doesn't need defending nearly as much as the Towers. For all we know, our current arsenal will be enough to defend the place unaided. And even if it's a complete rout, they've got 4 sections to push there, versus 2 in the Towers.
I am frankly baffled by your argument for why Aoi wouldn't be useful in the Port. You know where else people can stand on top of things, rather than being confined to narrow spaces? The Towers.

As for your final note, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have literally never advocated pushing into the Canyon.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2019, 08:37:28 am »

Really? When they send a Superweapon, we tend to lose. Commander Cauldro can better take advantage of the field at Port Mackrel. And the Towers require the crossing of bridges, there aren't that many ways, if any, to get around them. It's windy, and we battle from floor to floor, and on rooftop, never ground.

In this, we are sending our Superweapon there, which can deploy our Inklings behind enemy lines, as well as give us rooftop and air superiority. As well, their Superweapon only has balloons they must drop. Aoi is a bonus, and I've yet to see us take 2 areas at a time.

At the Port, Aoi can work, but Commander Cauldro will do much better in organizing Defense and Offense. As well, where the Towers are Windy and disrupt their Superweapon's aim, the Port isn't, and Commander Cauldro will have an easier time making a plan to hit the Blimp while it reloads, and taking it.

Where is their Superweapon most effective, that's the question. In this, Towers falls on the short end of the Calculation.

Next question, who's more effective where. Commander Cauldro organizes our Inklings into better formations, and has good group planning. Aoi is a single Agent, good for disruption.

In the end, both are good choices for each area, but I think Commander Cauldro will do better with the Port, and Aoi will be perfectly capable at the Towers.

As for the Canyon bit, people here voted to go in, even after we saw the issue with actually making headway. And there was the time we got bombed. We don't really have cover there, so it's a straight firefight most times. Our current gear, added to our new Superweapon, does give us better odds, but not perfect.

I kinda feel they could just try and attack the Mount too, but that's less of an issue unless they made something gamechanging this turn.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 09, 2019, 09:18:25 am »

Plan A: (3) NUKE9.13, testmen, SamSpeeds

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Winter, Year 1)
« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:11 am »

The Great Turf War of Winter, Year 2, has now Finished.

The Design Phase of Spring, Year 3 has begun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48:54 am »

Shellskin - Ability (Clothing):
Check out these new threads! Not only do they look well fresh, but they're infused with a powerful defensive ability that can seriously increase longevity in an inkfight. Using ancient human science and a generous budget, the Shellskin ability causes ink to slide off the user like water off a duck's back. How? We already said ancient human science, didn't we?
Naturally, this means that enemy ink attacks do considerably less damage, although the ink-repelling effect also slows swimming speed and in-ink regeneration. But hey, the effect only repels large concentrations of ink... so if you had some sort of, I dunno, aerosolised ink, that could pass through and heal you easily.
The clothing which is infused with this ability was designed by Nauty Studios, well known for making cephalopod wear that is both stylish and sturdy. See, cos they're named after nautiluses. Who have shells.   
So, I dunno if this is an acceptable design. Like, the description of abilities in the core thread OP specifically mentions that no one knows how they work, and I tried to find actual Splatoon lore on them to no avail. It's also a bit bare-bones. But I think something along these lines would be a good way to go.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:21 am »

Ace Swimmer Shirt-Ability (Clothing)
Check out these threads. They'll made with ancient human sub-marine techniques to reduce drag in ink to near nothing. This means the wearer won't leave a sign of being/swimming in ink, and will be able to swim even faster. They also have ink just slick off of the wearer, thanks to that property. Made by Nautical Productions for the best in Spiral-Shell-Geometry, coming to you this Spring!

Ability: Stealth Swim
Sub-Ability: Swim Speed Up

Ability (Clothing)
Shellskin: (0)
Ace Swimmer Shirt: (1) TricMagic

Note, the Spiral-Shell-Geometry is mostly fluff, just putting design on them in lines pleasing to the eye.
Slick meanwhile is also marketing, other than maybe reducing Ink-covered to Normal Time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:15:30 am by TricMagic »

testmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:51 am »

Dazzle Camouflage – Ability:
On closer inspection of the documents, they may not be precursor military technology, but about military FASHION.  I mean, just look at the fatigues, and how the precursor soldiers have different color uniforms for every situation; ‘Olive drab,’ ‘Woodland,’ ‘Snow,’ and… ‘Banana’?  ‘Rainbow?’  Some of these styles seem weird, but it would be really neat if we could outfit our troopers with something similar.  We even had plans to let them change the color and pattern of their uniforms like they could change their ink color

However, it seems some intern must have mixed up formulas, because upon inspection of the prototype uniforms, a fight broke out because part of the design team said it looked like a ‘eyesore,’ and a fight broke out.  After investigating the matter further, it turned out they meant literal eyesore, and a recreation of the dye showed that it had effected the light that bounced off of it somehow, where those who are a opposing color to the dye note it as being ‘loud and straining on the eyes, like the contrast between colors is more severe than actually thought possible.’  Yet, when looked at by someone of a friendly ink color, it looks perfectly normal.  Must be something to do with the ink that flows through our eyeballs. 

This has led to the development of Dazzle Camouflage, an ability that reduces the enemy’s accuracy by making it difficult and straining to keep a bead on someone wearing this uniform. We can only hope that while making these special Dazzle Camouflage fatigues we still have time to make regular fatigues for the rest of the troops.

tl;dr  Clothing that makes it hard to look at our dude, decreasing accuracy

I feel that the reason nobody has made any abilities yet is because they seems harder to make then weapons and such, and feel like they would have less effect than making other things, but we will see.

Edit:  Oh yeah, votebox

Ability (Clothing)
Shellskin: (0)
Ace Swimmer Shirt: (1) TricMagic
Dazzle Camouflage: (1) testmen
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:16:21 pm by testmen »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:01 pm »

Whilst there is something to be said for dazzling people, I feel like more conventional camouflage might be more effective, if we want to go down that route.
I'm not sure of the value of stealth+faster swimming... I mean, I can see on this here Splatoon wiki that those are real abilities in the game, so presumably they have some use, but I can't really picture them. Can you illustrate what sort of situations they'd be useful in?
I know that defence up is kinda a boring ability, but I also feel like it's guaranteed to be useful in basically all situations. I added a downside in an attempt to make the upside more powerful, but we could do a version without a downside if people'd prefer.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33