Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1197500 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4125 on: December 16, 2015, 05:01:27 pm »

I just want a system based on creativity rather than pure number management. And I want a simple elegant system rather than an increasing amount of rules patched onto a broken system.
This. I'd move my vote (number restriction) to the ritual system if possible. Althogh essences seem vital, it is possible to discard them...
I have thought it over some more and I hereby change my vote to ritual magic
If you accept these two vote changes, then essences being replaced with ritual magic is winning the poll right now.

For the rituals I think that the simpler the system the better it is.

Huh. Makes the discussion about the Ritual system all the more relevant. And now I've begun thinking about it and thought up a new game setting.
Spoiler: IfAnyoneWantsToRun (click to show/hide)
But it is not what we are looking for here.
Chosen Item afinities have to relate to main afinity of the user in direct or symbolic way, each turn of channeling is an extra d6
Spoiler: d6 (click to show/hide)
If half or more items are out, ritual colapses. Ritual can not use more than two items per mage using the ritual.

It would take a bit of tracking and has "big spells only" writen all over it, but that seems to be what it was suposed to be. Thoughts?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: December 16, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »

I don't know......
mmm...... what if we go for using essences in rituals? we start the ritual and each turn after we can put ONE essence in. so essences are still useful but you cant kill someone on your first turn with a big mega spell because you have to wait for the next turn to give it power with the essence.

it would be useful for making objects and things, while avoiding BOOM "I win cuz I haz mora essences."   

ritual spells in combat would only be viable if you had someone to cover you while you cast. witch still leaves time for a fight and to disrupt the ritual.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: December 16, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »

((Endlessblaze, what was your original choice? I have a feeling that it was for an essence cap, but I'm not certain.))

In any case, using essences in rituals would be incredibly slow. To get just a +2+2 bonus, you'd need a turn or two (assuming you're lucky) to make the +1+1 essences, then two turns to complete the ritual to use them. I don't feel like wasting four turns on what's (at best) a mediocre spell.

That's really the largest problem I have with exchanging essences for rituals. Essences, a least, can be made in the background, but the time and effort it would take to get even small bonuses with the proposed ritual systems is ridiculous.))

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: December 16, 2015, 10:59:51 pm »

number cap was my first

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: December 16, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »

((The main problem, in my opinion, with rituals, is that the game would get much less fun and much, much, slower to play.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:05 am »

((The main problem, in my opinion, with rituals, is that the game would get much less fun and much, much, slower to play.))
Now how often you would use big spells anyway?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: December 17, 2015, 07:09:11 am »

number cap was my first

((In that case, SPD/DEX penalties and rituals should be tied at 10 right now.))

((I don't use big spells very often, but I do use ones with small bonuses for things like research and items. I really don't want to sit around doing nothing for three turns just to cast a spell with a relatively minor bonus.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: December 17, 2015, 09:04:49 am »

((Well said.))
((And considering Old King Coal's plans: there are going to be a lot of big spells in his future.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:42 am »

number cap was my first

((In that case, SPD/DEX penalties and rituals should be tied at 10 right now.))

((I don't use big spells very often, but I do use ones with small bonuses for things like research and items. I really don't want to sit around doing nothing for three turns just to cast a spell with a relatively minor bonus.))
((I can't see three turns being necessary for a minor bonus; ideally, one would only require one turn of preparation, or maybe a related item. Heck, for a +1 bonus, just going last in the turn might be penalty enough.))

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 17, 2015, 09:34:14 pm »

Maybe we could combine rituals with essence cap, so middle-tier spells are still readily accessible but rituals required for larger ones?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: December 17, 2015, 09:36:42 pm »

Maybe we could combine rituals with essence cap, so middle-tier spells are still readily accessible but rituals required for larger ones?
((That wouldn't solve the combat problem, unless we threw in the penalty, as well, and that's just too complicated.))

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 18, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »

And this was my original idea, thank you.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: December 19, 2015, 04:02:51 pm »

I think this is taking too long. It's annoying seeing the game put on hold for this. Should we keep arguing, or leave the game as it is? I just want things to move forward for a change.

Also, even though there is all this talk of sniping across hexes, nobody's actually done it yet.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 19, 2015, 04:19:10 pm »

I say we just leave the game as is. honestly I'm not sure what started this essence argument anyways.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: December 19, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »

I think this is taking too long. It's annoying seeing the game put on hold for this. Should we keep arguing, or leave the game as it is? I just want things to move forward for a change.

Also, even though there is all this talk of sniping across hexes, nobody's actually done it yet.
Things are on hold until xmas wether or not you argue. It's just that I have several deadlines thet converge before winter break, and I kinda want not to fail.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 506