Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: Real-world information in the Wiki?  (Read 40779 times)

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world information in the Wiki?
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2010, 04:14:08 am »

The overarching goal of the Wiki is to explain the game, afterall, not to make people laugh. Sacrificing some of the humor doesn't sacrifice the Wiki.
[/quote]
You are wrong.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:20 am »

The overarching goal of the Wiki is to explain the game, afterall, not to make people laugh. Sacrificing some of the humor doesn't sacrifice the Wiki.
You are wrong.

Your comment provides nothing helpful, useful, or otherwise constructive.  Please refrain from posting things that are purposely inflammatory.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:49 am »

What book are you referring to? I'm basing my knowledge off Graphics of Communication 3rd ed.

Fankly, i have no idea. I flipped throught it about ~8 years ago at friends place what i recall was that on left side was example of text with "enhanced paragraph" and on right side was short explanation of how it should work, how to technically provide i and suggested cases for which this formating applies. It also has huge section for headings, footers, graphs and whatnot. Something about "Art of Writing Textbooks", but i can't be certain.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2010, 08:51:12 am »

Fankly, i have no idea. I flipped throught it about ~8 years ago at friends place what i recall was that on left side was example of text with "enhanced paragraph" and on right side was short explanation of how it should work, how to technically provide i and suggested cases for which this formating applies. It also has huge section for headings, footers, graphs and whatnot. Something about "Art of Writing Textbooks", but i can't be certain.

Blarg, lost a post.  Apparently accidentally making FireFox 3.6 navigate "back" doesn't remember what you typed.

Check out this example* of some distinctive style side bars.  Some of which take up a whole page.

*April Fools prerelease sample of ShadowRun 4e's Runner's Companion.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:53 am »

Blarg, lost a post.  Apparently accidentally making FireFox 3.6 navigate "back" doesn't remember what you typed.

Check out this example* of some distinctive style side bars.  Some of which take up a whole page.

*April Fools prerelease sample of ShadowRun 4e's Runner's Companion.

Your image link is bad. :(
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2010, 11:30:47 am »

Damn, and I'm not at home to figure out what it is and/or make a new one.  Not that you could read it anyway (zoomed out too far to see much more than headlines), was just a bunch of suggestions on how to run the Strict Moral Code negative quality.  Took up a page and a half of the book and--I believe--is the single largest sidebar Catalyst has ever published.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:54 pm »

You are wrong.

Your comment provides nothing helpful, useful, or otherwise constructive.  Please refrain from posting things that are purposely inflammatory.
Sorry. To elaborate: wikis in general, and the DF wiki in particular (to the best of my knowledge) is more than just a tool for information about the subject. It also provides an extra level of immersion into the game, which the jokes are an integral part of. I generally don't like the idea that a wiki should be a sterile source of information without any immersion, because it stinks of Stop Having Fun Guys.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

....Ok, wow.  Odd issue with copy paste.  If you take that link and turn it from http://1.tinypic to http://i42.tinypic it works.

http://i42.tinypic.com/sg4cpy.jpg

Also: amusing bit on the file name chosen.  If I change the g to an r I get SR4 CPY => ShadowRun 4 (Copy).jpg.  The file I uploaded was in fact the second screenshot I took.  Weird (go human brain pattern finder, go!).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:06:22 pm by Draco18s »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »

You are wrong.

Sorry. To elaborate: wikis in general, and the DF wiki in particular (to the best of my knowledge) is more than just a tool for information about the subject. It also provides an extra level of immersion into the game, which the jokes are an integral part of. I generally don't like the idea that a wiki should be a sterile source of information without any immersion, because it stinks of Stop Having Fun Guys.

Solarn: I'm not saying it shouldn't be funny, though. Just that that isn't the ultimate end.

That's most easily demonstrated by the statement that without Dwarf Fortress, there wouldn't be a Dwarf Fortress Wiki. There wouldn't be a point. There might, however, easily still be a fantasy comic, based on many of the same elements that DF encompasses as it's style of humor, even if ToadyOne had never existed.

The comedic elements are clearly separable from even the game, let alone the Wiki.

I'm all for humor--for one thing, it helps educate, because as you say, it alleviates otherwise dry text. That still goes back to the Wiki being built specifically to inform. I don't think there's going to be a huge disagreement with that labeling, for too many people. That it entertains is supplimentary. The "frosting on the cake" if you will. 
For they would be your masters.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »

A little bump but I figure that's okay.

One of the things people talked about disliking here was the use of "elven" "human" and "dwarven" to articles to show their quality.  I tried to compile the requests of people here with some of the sytem we already have in place and now we have:

Stub, Fine, and Masterwork.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Adamantine

Here's some details:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_Wiki:Quality

I'm also in the process of working on some organization, but I thought this would be appreciated by the several of you who didn't like the old system.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 05, 2010, 05:56:42 pm »

Aww, but I liked -Fine- +Exceptional+ and *Masterwork*.  It was a good play on the dwarven quality system where a Bed can be a -Fine Pine Bed- and still only worth 20 dwarfbux.

(Rough semi-precious gems rank in at about that cost as well)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »

Er, what about articles that aren't good, but aren't small enough to be stubs? There's no place for them on the scale.

"Stub" has nothing to do with the quality of an article anyway, just its size. A good article can still be a stub.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:05 pm »

Er, what about articles that aren't good, but aren't small enough to be stubs? There's no place for them on the scale.

"Stub" has nothing to do with the quality of an article anyway, just its size. A good article can still be a stub.
I half a agree. A long confusing article is not a stub, but a concise informative one isn't either. In other words, "stub" implies both short length and a need for improvement.
Akur Akir Akam!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2010, 05:21:27 am »

hmmmm.... okay.  I get it.  We'll have "stub" be a separate tag we apply to articles.  And I'll change them to fine exceptional and masterwork.

Edit: All Done (ignore the quality status bar, it'll slowly fix itself)

-Fine-: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Prickle_berry
+Exceptional+: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Elephant
*Masterwor*k: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Aquifer
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:03:45 am by Mason11987 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:53 am »

hmmmm.... okay.  I get it.  We'll have "stub" be a separate tag we apply to articles.  And I'll change them to fine exceptional and masterwork.

So poor-quality articles are "fine" now?

I think there's something about this that you aren't understanding.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25