Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 337698 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2160 on: May 10, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »

Threetoe's avatar is his guinea pig Faustus.  They have three toes on each back foot.  The four in the front may be toes, but they don't count as toes, because they are in the front.

I find that strangely quotable for some reason.  Maybe it's lack of sleep.
You aren't alone. As I was reading that, I was planning on putting it in as my signature, but then I realized that Toady said it, so I can't. I have this thing where I fight the power by not ever sucking up to Toady. I have to try and avoid looking like I am, too. Putting that quote in my signature would simultaneously make me look like a sycophant who was only quoting it because Toady said it, and it would degrade the quote by making people assume that it only got into my signature based on it's author, and not on any merits it might have.

If I ever stop doing this, Tezcatlipoca will destroy the sun and plunge our world into eternal night.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 10, 2009, 05:57:41 pm »

So don't attribute it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 13, 2009, 01:31:59 am »

Well the wait officially started the "I just don't care anymore response" in me.

Though the lull in worthwhile forum activity (in my eyes... >.>) and lack of detailed/any development updates attributed.

I really need something to do but unfortunately I got nothing (I have Monster Rancher 4 on PS2 but it is in the basement so it is too much of a bother).

Ohh well, there is still a long way to go from my new guess of November!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:36:43 am by Neonivek »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2163 on: May 13, 2009, 05:31:13 am »

It should give the high priest a position name related to their religion, for example...

Should make those priests of suicide gods even more interesting!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 13, 2009, 05:38:55 am »

At least you can call them "kamikaze" (or "nabasnum" in dwarven, "mecalaametha" in elven, "ngungdubospaz" in goblin, or "nirnoalu" in human language).

What do you call the priests of birth then? Or rebirth?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:11 am »

Are you sure those are all words for Kamikaze?

There is a difference between a suicide, a suicidal attack, and killing someone by commiting suicide.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 13, 2009, 08:36:28 am »

I'm assuming he translated "divine wind" or whatever was closest, since that's what kamikaze actually means.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:40 am »

I'm assuming he translated "divine wind" or whatever was closest, since that's what kamikaze actually means.

That is its dirrect translation though probably not its closest comparison.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:26 am »

Yeah, that's all "divine wind". It may not be the closest comparison, but works for a literal translation. This gave me an idea btw, can anyone with knowledge of Japanese make a language file using romaji? I'd expect it would be pretty fun to read.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 16, 2009, 03:30:32 am »

Can DF language system works with homonyms? Since nihongo is filled to brim with those.
Also, need to wait until alphabets come into the equation first.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 16, 2009, 03:49:06 am »

define "homonyms". :P

DF language raws can pretty much be configured to do anything.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »

Homonym: Two words that sound alike, but have different meanings.

In nihongo, two words that sound alike are spelled identically as well (in hiragana/katakana, at least... not in kanji)... which means that when romanized into our alphabet, it's also spelled the same.

To answer the question: yes, DF supports two different words (meanings) being the same word (sound/spelling).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2172 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »

Well, not explicitly.
It's true that each meaning is given a defined spelling, and spelling, and presumably pronunciation, does not have to be unique.
However, DF does not recognize this, which would be nice for neat plot twists and quest gizmoes; I.E, questing for the Armor of Invincibility, and finding an Armoire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 16, 2009, 09:46:22 pm »

Well, not explicitly.
It's true that each meaning is given a defined spelling, and spelling, and presumably pronunciation, does not have to be unique.
However, DF does not recognize this, which would be nice for neat plot twists and quest gizmoes; I.E, questing for the Armor of Invincibility, and finding an Armoire.
Or finding the accent of their language makes invincibility sound like invincibility.

Still, an invisible suit of armor that tricks your foes into thinking you have no armor is till cool, but as long as we are discussing languages we should add accents that we can toggle on and off. Off for when we need to read, and off for when we want to see the full flavor of the world/lulz at the RNG.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 16, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »

Well, not explicitly.

The Armoire of Invincibility?

Didn't the captain use that to beat down the hammerer? :P
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 148