Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers  (Read 7341 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 11:44:42 pm »

So far I've put in quite a few hours and only been killed twice. Lost very little each time. Just be sure to store your valuables in your ship hold. And if you want to avoid getting attacked keep to the quiet oasis with less players, and / or rotate to parts of the map that are further from the trading out post or the sides that are next to busy oasis and see more traffic.

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 03:56:57 am »

I joined up with a large clan.

Most of my time in game has been spent with extremely disorganized groups, which has been frustrating and tedious. But on the few occasions when I managed to find a smaller more focused group, we had fun building stuff and cruising around the desert, looting resources from monkey men.

I've only been ganked once. 3 meanies came up behind me while I was soloing some Rupu's, and proceeded to flog me to death. I had more than a dozen clan allies less than a minute away, and I called for help in Discord immediately. They then proceeded to spend about 5 minutes trying to figure out where the weapons were and which boat they should take, while I was respawning and getting spawncamped. Eventually my allies did show up though, and managed to slaughter one of my aggressors while the other two ran for the hills. We then proceeded to dismantle their big boat. Naturally, they started complaining in map chat about how we zerged them with overwhelming numbers; as if they hadn't done the exact same thing to me.

Hard Hex-tiles were released today, and we were already planning to claim one immediately. Unfortunately, the hard tile nearest to us had no less than 4 other large clans who also wanted to lay claim, and we ended up in one big fight that was fun but ultimately a loss for us.
So, after some scouting we found another tile without any serious competition and we moved in. I insisted on bringing my little Firefly for sentimental reasons. It only had capacity for 80 water, and the trip required 1100. So I ended up spending a couple of hours making short hops to intervening tiles, until I eventually arrived. Once there I helped build several Stilettos for my group members who had left their walkers behind, and then the entire clan worked together to build half a dozen giant Buffalo's, which we took into battle against some giant enemy crabs, because why not.

Having fun so far. Hope this game continues to entertain.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:29 am »

Sounds like fun, I might get it. I'm interested in forming a Bay12 group
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:37 pm »

I'm part of a small six man group if anyone else from the forums wants to join, their welcome. We do a lil pvp.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 12:04:03 am »

Tonight, our clan with roughly 125 people on our tile, suddenly noticed that the tile had over 400 people in it.

...there's always a bigger fish.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »

That last event seems to be the result of our leaders failing some charisma checks and managing to piss off literally every clan around us. So we were forced to seek out new allies in distant lands, and migrate. We are now part of an alliance with several thousand members. All of the Buffalos and a few other larger boats made the trip in a caravan, and quoted roughly 4000 water used to make the trip, each. Those of us with smaller boats just abandoned ship and respawned in the new lands, starting over with nothing.

I've been driving around in a Firefly since I started, and I loved those little boats. Mostly because I found that I can abuse the Rupu AI, getting a large swarm of them chasing me, then duck behind my Firefly and have them running into the tail of the Firefly, unable to figure out how to go around it; then I can use a nice long quarterstaff to sweep their legs a few times and I'm left with a pile of loot to mop up.
Unfortunately, I was constantly running into storage issues, trying to fit all this loot inside the tiny Firefly. So I finally broke down and built myself a big-boy boat; a Stiletto. And I love it way more than the Firefly. All of those little bumps that sent the Firefly into a flip, the Stiletto just strides over them without a hitch. Combined with the speed, this makes getting around the map so much more practical.
This has forced me to learn how to fight the Rupu's properly, which was a bit of a learning curve. It's a bit slower, but much more enjoyable now that I got the hang of it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 06:33:10 am »

Well, our new map had two issues. First, there was no temple, which made it difficult to craft Tablets and unlock better tech. Also there was a lot of lag, which we believed to be caused by an excess of idle walkers in the lobby left over from some previous owners.

So we moved again. Not very far this time, to a map with a nice Temple for us to use. We set up some good sturdy clay bases, surrounded by Rupus we had abducted and trained to sling rocks at intruders.
There was one major issue with our new home however...it was infested with squirrels. Flying squirrels, actually. It seems that one of the neighboring clans did not like us moving in, and rather than confront us directly, they hired a mercenary faction to harass us. These squirrels did not use any walkers, instead getting around using grapples and glide-suits, supplied by the clan who hired them. And they wielded an endless supply of sharp katana's, also provided by the employers. And of course they never fought fairly, seeking out only lone farmers and dispatching them with the element of surprise and overwhelming numbers, then disappearing into the wind before any retaliation could be mounted.
This continued for about a week before one of our members discovered their hidey-hole, where all of their spare weapons and suits had been hidden, using exploits to clip their chests inside a wall where they were almost impossible to find. We led a raid and claimed all of their gear and spoils, and have not heard from the squirrels since then.

To celebrate, today we crewed two Stiletto's and stocked up on fire arrows, and we went out and burned down one of the opposing clan's Proxy's on a lightly defended tile, removing their control over a chunk of territory. Then we went to another lightly defended map and burned down a second proxy. As we were making our escape, we turned a corner and found ourselves face to face with a Falco, easily larger in size than both of our Stiletto's combined, and with a crew to match. To make matters worse, the Falco was faster than us, so there was no hope of escape.
So we fought. And...they made some tactical mistakes. Video is here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/598199596

See if you can catch me standing around being useless throughout most of the fight.
I was actually moving gear and supplies around inside the ship's hatch, to ensure people respawning on our boat would be well equipped and ready to continue fighting. Also ensuring that there was room for our people to drop off spoils looted from enemy combatants, so those enemies would not be able to reclaim it.

Later, we got together a bunch of tiny Spider walkers and cheap weapons/armor, and dove directly into the heart of the enemy base. We snuck around like thieves in the night, smashing workstations and breaking open chests. Honestly we probably could have produced more loot working back on our home tile, and it didn't really hurt the enemy much. And of course it ended with us splitting up as we got chased off the map by much bigger boats, and only most of us made it out alive. But it was so much fun~

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:04 am »

Thanks for sharing all the stories! This feels like Eve to me, where I love hearing people's exploits but then I play and get too scared to get involved with any of the pvp alliance main content :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:48 am »

Thanks for sharing all the stories! This feels like Eve to me, where I love hearing people's exploits but then I play and get too scared to get involved with any of the pvp alliance main content :D
+1 to that

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 06:16:58 am »

The enemy clan retaliated tonight, attacking our Proxy in our home-tile. They rolled in with two fully crewed Falco's, and about a dozen smaller ships. We mounted our best defenses, and managed to run out the clock on the Proxy's one hour of daily vulnerable time, ensuring we would keep our home for another day.
There was a lot of lag, and more than a few accusations of the enemy clan hacking. I don't know if those accusations were accurate, or if perhaps we were simply less prepared, or maybe just unlucky, but in the end it was us who were forced to flee the battlefield and they who were gloating in chat channels. After a few victory laps, most of their troops returned to whence they came, leaving only 1 Falco to roam around our tile, picking off anyone who dared to stick their heads out.
We regrouped, scrounged up some sets of gear from hidden reserves, repaired a few fallen boats from the edges of the battlefield and rode out to face the enemy Falco. They slung poisonous gas bombs at us, coating the desert in a neon green mist of death. But we persisted, tearing the wings and legs off their Falco and then trading steel with it's crew, until eventually they ran out of water and could no longer fight. Then we burned open the Falco's hull and reclaimed from it's cargo hold much of the plunder they had taken from us in the previous battle.

Overall, not our most glorious day. But we held on to our home, and showed we're still in the fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 03:10:50 pm »

Never celebrate victory until you've won, your opponents apparently didn't know that.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 03:24:35 pm »

im tempted to get this game on a sale. i consider myself at an average level of skill with these directional melee engine games. im a fair hand at mordhau, where i (recently with lots of practice due to covid19 lol) found myself placing in the upper quarter of the leaderboard if im not playing a meme peasant build. the other one is, of course, the mount and blade games where i find myself in the upper half of the board on bannerlord. you could throw kingdom come in there but its singleplayer only and more dependent on rpg mechanics than actual skill due to only having set attack directions and not swing speed or anything.

but this does seem to be a game where teamwork makes the dream work and while i love that, i do like to wander sometimes and have peaceful solo times mining and crafting. so 2 questions before i decide; is there any crafting and are solo players really ganked that much?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 05:30:02 pm »

Solo ganking absolutely does happen. You can mitigate this either by playing on a low-population map, or by joining a large clan who aggressively root out any who intrude on their territory. The former option would limit you to lower difficulty tiles, where only low-tier resources are available. And the latter would of course depend upon your ability to back a winning horse, as it were.

For crafting, you have a fairly wide variety of weapons and armor, with varied mitigation and movespeed on the armors, and length/speed/damage on the weapons, and varied material costs. So you could certainly find kits that you like and then figure out ways to specialize in securing the resources needed to craft those kits, until you are able to mass produce them.
There is also the quality game. World resources occasionally spawn with various qualities. You can harvest these quality resources, use them to craft better tools which are capable of harvesting higher quality resources to make better tools, eventually make quality workstations to build quality subcomponents for better tools and weapons and armor. And then cry when some ganker comes along and takes your best stuff. But learn from that, and build a more secure base where you keep a stockpile of quality tools so that you can always rebuild.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 02:44:11 am »

Not my team, but here is a short video of someone stealing an absolutely massive amount of resources from OwO, one of the mega-clans that has occasionally pestered us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqp3H5ibfao

OwO has occasionally visited our map with small groups who just ran around ganking solo's, but never stayed long enough to be a serious problem. Tonight they made their first big move bringing a heavily armed Falco against us. They learned the hard way that we have gotten a lot of experience bringing down Falco's recently.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »

Well, I guess a solo can indeed get their revenge.  Although I dunno if there was anyone else acting as a decoy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5