Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fort coming to a eve near you?  (Read 714 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fort coming to a eve near you?
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:18 am »

So the only CCP land I know of is THE land of vikings, ice, volcanoes, ice walls and spaceships.

One can only assume dwarfs are going to SPACE.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fort coming to a eve near you?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:30:13 am »

I think ToadyOne is going to talk about procedural generation, and how stories can emerge from the players imagination.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:49 am »

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood - Chapter III: Dwarf Fathership.

Calling it. Procedural galaxy generation, with full-scale planets, asteroids, and full simulation of the universe, all in glorious ASCII!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

Calling it. Procedural galaxy generation, with full-scale planets, asteroids, and full simulation of the universe, all in glorious ASCII!
Darnit.  Not that it hasn't been done before (Elite ?started? it, albeit with a fixed seed),  but my own little all-too-slowly-progressing project has already been conceptually changed a number of times to avoid looking too much like DF, Minecraft, etc.

With the exception of the ASCIIness[1], I'm feeling my toes inadvertently being stepped on here. (Ok, so everyone else has been rushing around and I've been stood still, doing nothing exciting, just with my big feet in the way...)

(Quite a lot of the thinking process, so far, has been how to not make it a "Dwarfs in an interstellar asteroid-ship, that they increasingly hollow the minerals out of to improve ready for the next solar fly-by" thing.)

[1] Although that was an interface option, despite the intended vector-based voxel basis for the play-space definition.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:05 am »

Given that Chapter I and II were really far apart in terms of gameplay, I'm willing to bet StA:GoB - CIII will be a subsistence farming simulator. Not that I won't want that. Imagine just lazing back, looking at your farm. Watching your crops grow. You ride your mule as you go around the farm. You wave to your son as he picks some fresh tomatoes. You'd tell him that they're not fully ripe yet, but the smile on his face was too much and you'd rather not ruin the moment for him. You look out into the sky. Sunset. The magic hour. Tonight you'll be eating on potatoes and ham. Tonight you and your wife will make the sweetest of love. And when the sun rises the next day, you'll wake up, stretch and start all over again.

Yeah. Subsistence farming. I really hope Toady makes this now.