Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 251

Author Topic: Bay12's Desktops  (Read 372434 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's Desktops
« Reply #1455 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »

That is some sexy default skin you got there, bud.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 11, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »

That is some sexy default skin you got there, bud.

Thank ye very much :3

THAT WALLPAPER DOESN'T LOVE YOU, LIKE ME.

Spoiler: Is this better? (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:55 am »

It's Windows, but I decided fuck Windows and downloaded SharpEnviro. I am in love with the customizational power I have.

SharpEnviro looks amazing.  Thank you for informing me of this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 12, 2011, 12:59:35 am »

Oi, Vertigon: What Rainmeter skins do you have installed?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 12, 2011, 01:02:36 am »

A lot of it's just the default skins.
It's really a nice arrangement of them though, thus the earlier comment.
The rest just look like simple modifications.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 13, 2011, 04:10:10 am »

So SharpEnviro prompted me to go on a windows shell testing spree.  I'd never really messed around with them before.  I ended up settling on SharpEnviro, though, due to ease of use, compatibility, and aesthetics.

I'm having a little trouble setting up menus.  It does feel kind of half finished right now, even if the half finished state feels polished for what it is.

I'd really love to be able to put links to directories on a toolbar, and have the directory appear as a menu when clicked on.  That would be amazing.  The closest I can figure out so far is putting links to directories on a button bar.  Still useful, but not amazing.  I might just end up clearing everything off my desktop if I can figure something out.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 13, 2011, 04:14:50 am »

I actually like Explorer quite a bit, especially after having installed a custom theme.
It does absolutely everything I need and want it to and looks nice.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 13, 2011, 04:19:02 am »

I installed SharpEnviro too.

I am never going back.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:58 am »

Holy crap I figured it out.  Ok this is officially amazing.  Moving all crap off my desktop now.  Don't need fences anymore.  Don't need a start menu anymore.  I'm going to be setting this up for a while, but when I'm finished, everything I ever use is going to be two clicks away and gorgeous looking.

Edit:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yatta!  So I'm not doing anymore with it tonight.  I will set up menus for stuff as I need them.  I just set up the one for Dwarf Fortress to experiment with for now.  When I left-click on it (bottom left) I get to navigate my dwarf fortress folder as a menu.  If I right-click on it, it has a list of all the executables I've hand-picked as important and a link to the folder itself.  I should rarely have to navigate actual folders anymore.  I plan to do this for everything.  This will actually be a pretty big deal when I start applying it to art project folders and apps.  I'll save so much time navigating and managing screen space.

This also allows me to move everything on my desktop and uninstall Fences.  I get that much more pleasurable viewing of my thousands of rotating wallpapers now (I love Wallpaper Master).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:33:23 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:35 pm »

Never messed w/ Windows shell replacements...

How's performance/load time compare, SharpEnviro vs. Explorer?

One of the biggest reasons I've switched over to primarily using Linux is how much faster it boots...
'course, I guess even with the shell replacement there's still a lot of background services, but the question stands.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »

currently,
:D

(p.s. I have windows too :P)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 13, 2011, 12:19:54 pm »

Holy crap I figured it out.  Ok this is officially amazing.  Moving all crap off my desktop now.  Don't need fences anymore.  Don't need a start menu anymore.  I'm going to be setting this up for a while, but when I'm finished, everything I ever use is going to be two clicks away and gorgeous looking.

Edit:

Yatta!  So I'm not doing anymore with it tonight.  I will set up menus for stuff as I need them.  I just set up the one for Dwarf Fortress to experiment with for now.  When I left-click on it (bottom left) I get to navigate my dwarf fortress folder as a menu.  If I right-click on it, it has a list of all the executables I've hand-picked as important and a link to the folder itself.  I should rarely have to navigate actual folders anymore.  I plan to do this for everything.  This will actually be a pretty big deal when I start applying it to art project folders and apps.  I'll save so much time navigating and managing screen space.

This also allows me to move everything on my desktop and uninstall Fences.  I get that much more pleasurable viewing of my thousands of rotating wallpapers now (I love Wallpaper Master).
I used to think these "fabled" shell replacements were complete crap compared to Explorer, but it looks pretty cool.
What does it replace? I mean, looks like it just swaps explorer.exe out with a different window manager and taskbar, all of Windows the apps are still there. Also, can you still use Explorer as your file manager?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 13, 2011, 01:18:34 pm »

The main purpose of it seems to be allowing you to re-design the taskbar and desktop.  Browsing folders and such still looks and works exactly the same as explorer.

It adds a couple seconds extra loading time,  but I think it's worth it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »

You do realize that with Fences, you can double-click the desktop and any icons on it will go away?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 13, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »

You do realize that with Fences, you can double-click the desktop and any icons on it will go away?

Yeah.  That's mainly what I used it for.  But now it's unnecessary.  Instead of putting shortcuts and folders of stuff on the desktop and double-clicking to hide/unhide and then navigating through those folders for the stuff I need, I can just make a series of menus to those folders and interact with stuff in them without even having to actually open up the folder.  Plus, I get to eliminate a background process.  It's awesome.

This isn't that much of a big deal for general use, but for large project folders with a bunch of files organized in subfolders and such that you want quick access to, it's really nice.

I used to have a Dwarf Fortress folder on my desktop and when I wanted to boot up the game, I had to do a bunch of navigating into every subfolder to open up the game and whatever utilities I wanted and would typically keep a couple folders open for quick access to stuff like dfhack, screenshots/notes, etc.  I could have set up a bunch of links in the start menu and task bar with explorer, but that amounts to a lot of clutter really quickly. 

Now it's all in a single button.  Plus, this taskbar looks so much nicer than I could ever get it to look under explorer.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 251