Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps  (Read 14142 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Stick Ranger: Thunder Gloves Are For Chumps
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »

*Is interested in a 4 priest run*
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »

*Is interested in a 4 priest run*
You poor unfortunate soul. I do hope you have the patience of a saint to get past Grasslands 1 and 2. And oh god some bosses will wreck you like mad they will.

Unless you are suggesting I do it, in which case fuck that. Their staffs have an attack range of like 1-10 and they are incredibly slow. The only way it could feasibly work is to somehow grind for three staffs that grant freeze and one that grants poison, and those are a long way away.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 08:26:17 am »

holy bump batman!

just found this little gem thanks to the mobile games minimega thread.

it's really fun XD

I'm running quad mage with 2 fire 2 freeze specializations, but my favorite is still 4 sniper because of the ridiculous amount of dakka

how feasible is to run 4 gunslingers?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 03:58:05 pm »

Also, I'm pretty sure they've only got two elemental types, which lowers their general purpose use a bit. Although lazers aren't bad (free piercing is good).

Compared to a sniper though, where you can drop any weapon on them for a particular situation (direct fire, arcing, elemental effects, and even late game piercing) with very little magic, bows just seem better. And all your compo cards/gems/stones seem like better upgrades on bows than guns. Sure, you can lower the cost of bullets, but with snipers you don't even have to, and you start with pretty decent range. Which is nice for when you want to cheese a level for items, but don't want to exit dive your way through.

Bows just seem more versatile and easier. I'll have to have a decent go with guns, but they never struck me as amazing at what they do.

ps. That's some damn good thread necromancy right there. Puts most of us to shame :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »

Four gunner is an absolute pain early, but once you get around submarine or so the price is negligible, especially if you either compo for magic or invest a little -- 20'll get base sniper rifles to cost $1, and those hurt plenty to deal with most things up till cavern or so. Missile launcher'll deal with the rest, ha.

That said, you don't want to do it, heh. 1-3 priests and 3-1 gunners is the way to go if you're going pure gun. At least in terms of raw DPS, there's literally nothing without a priest that can beat a comp with a strength priest in it. Though someone did crunch the numbers on it, apparently -- seems like 2-2 is the way to go to maximize raw damage, instead of 3p-1g. Pure strength priests, obviously enough, though I forget if the gunners had any dex investment or not.

Though yeah, the big thing with gunners is that they honestly hurt more than snipers do, and often by a fair amount. Snipers are nearly comparable, probably a bit more flexible, and definitely less management, but still. Elemental variety's about the same, though. Bows have poison, but only one thunder (that's in a ridiculously brutal place), while gunners lack poison but have much better thunder access via lasers. Both have plenty of fire and physical, and no cold.

... anyway, yeah, I've been playing this probably way too much lately. Ye old list of current teams:
Computer:
Lv 57: 2 priest (Both strength, with some magic for range) 2 sniper (One dex, one magic to 50, now going dex. Got their strength high enough to hit 150 range, pushing it up to 210 now) that's just hit the snowfields on the computer. They've actually started using offensive staves instead of just being walking stat buffs. Icicle/freeze is pretty good for slowing things down for the snipers to rain death on, and I've been toying with the inferno staff for the last couple stages. It's actually kinda' ridiculous, tbh. Can set most of the screen on fire, and the damage with a ruby slotted isn't bad at all, for a priest. Even for other things if there's a bunch of stuff on the screen.

Kindle:
Lv 70: Priest (Str/mag), sniper (got mag to 45, now splitting level ups between str and dex), mage (Got range to around 200, split between dex and mag for a while, currently pushing dex up until it hits 75), boxer (26 dex to flatline agi, split str/mag for a while, now pushing up to 100 or so, for the end-game cestus). Boxer usually runs a freeze build (diamond/vampire), mage does whatever's needed (though it's mostly using electric shock right now, 'cause that thing does pretty monstrous damage), sniper alternates between pyramid and flame arrow as needed. Priest is priest. These ones are meandering around the snowfields and occasionally smashing its face into the brick wall that is mountaintop (I really want that indra arrow ;_;).
Lv 42: Double priest, double angel. One priest got dex to 50, other pumped strength until the first did, now both are doing 1/1 into strength/magic. Angels are identical; 30 dex, everything else is going into magic until it hits 100, then I'm probably going to try to get another ring out of them and put whatever's left into either strength or LP (or just 1/1 both *shrugs*). This group just hit desert. Currently poisoner staff farming desert 3 for staff stones.
Lv 54: Double priest, both raw strength and nothing else, using long staves, then a sniper (45 mag, been putting everything else into strength) and gunner (20 mag, now 1/1ing into dex and strength). Currently idling on the beaches and occasionally ramming their skull into the pyramid boss.
And last... and least, actually.
Lv 41: Priest/mage/whipper/gladiator. Priest got range to 150 with a non-long staff, mage is one level away from hitting 75 dex, after which it'll be splitting between strength and magic, whipper is aiming for a non-gemmed 70 mag (but did take a detour to pick up some dex), after which it'll probably pump dex for a while, glad's hit 40 mag and is now putting into str/dex at whimsy. Just hit submarine and finished farming ??? for quick cards on the priest and mage, both of which are currently mostly using freeze weapons.

Probably the biggest play change I've noticed while I've been playing lately is I've ended up with a hella' larger appreciation for reflection cards, particularly on snipers. Used to much prefer pierce or catapult or whatever, but then I noticed that bounce can take even a 0 strength shot from one end of the screen to the other, and is absolutely beautiful on the pyramid arrow -- with that thing, if the projectile doesn't actually hit anything it can basically end up poisoning the whole screen. Probably don't want to use it on fire bows, though... pierce either, really, at the very least until you hit flame arrow. Either of 'em stops the arrow from setting off which it firsts hits ground, which can really lower the amount of damage you do to ground based enemies.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:27:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 09:30:24 am »

So how are you supposed to use gunners? I've found that it costs way more to use the guns than I have income for. Is there a way to reduce the cost?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 10:09:24 am »

So how are you supposed to use gunners? I've found that it costs way more to use the guns than I have income for. Is there a way to reduce the cost?

mag reduces cost, but never less than 1$

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:42 am »

Never sell your starting guns. They don't drop anywhere, and bought ones only,have one slot. The starters are free to fire, which can help recover if needed.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2016, 11:26:46 am »

More or less as above. You use the starting gun for a while unless you've got serious trouble, splash magic (20-30 will either bring down cost to around half or 2/3rds, or flatline them, on most guns in the game) if it's really being hard to keep your cash reserves under control, and maybe avoid using/use sparingly the more expensive options you've got on hand until you're in richer areas. Maybe even dig up some gold medals and have a dosh generating weapon set on hand. Also maybe never buy any weapon that's not the 85k junk shop ones. Compo stuff's a bit more useful, but you still want to not for most things... and no books, unless you're just really lazy. The wiki has the same info without the expense, heh. Can also consider just avoiding dex investment, maybe for a while maybe at all -- it does mean more DPS and a more responsive character, but it also means higher costs.

After a bit, the problem will fix itself. Want to say somewhere around submarine or desert is when the money starts rolling in enough you really just don't have to care anymore, heh, save possibly with the really expensive stuff... and you'll be able to tank even those by snowfield or so without that much trouble. Incidentally raking in a few hundred thousand stops being something you have to try to do later in the game.

E: Oh jeeze, I had never really played around with knockback cards before. Particularly when matched with someone with a slow effect. Currently farming the snow 4 boss for a quick card with the computer party... getting the party to the boss room and then going elsewhere while they plink it down. Every once in a while when I check back the boss will be floating around the top of the screen above my doods, occasionally getting juggled straight off the screen. It's pretty hilarious :V

Nonuple arrow with knockback 4 (i.e. 100% chance) and an icicle priest. Is fun, heh.

E2: Ten day edit, but I've got to state for the record that a freeze whipper (currently freeze whip, quick 5, diamond 4 -- agi is 8-10 :3) is rather incredibly satisfying. I just took the pyramid boss with it only getting one attack off. With some snowfield kit and level 71, but still. The priest/magician/whipper/gladiator up a bit has changed up, with the back three usually running full freeze and the glad stronger on the raw DPS (though the magician and whipper still contribute plenty just by dint of sheer quantity of attacks, ahaha). It's bloody nice to wade into a level and everything that comes within a set distance just kinda' stops moving and waits to die.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:09:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]