I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 575503 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5355 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:27 am »

I actually had those three in mind off the top of my head :P

Zoro was nice-ish but got ganked pretty hard and is now more or less very dead, Zen was pretty strongly correlated with the whole samurai thing (which came with nasty, nasty associations) -- it's branched out a lot since, but considering the starting point and initial run it definitely had/has a lot of things very, very wrong -- zionism's basically the conspiracy world's boogieman... I think the observation stands pretty well. They're either very badly flawed, dead, or have a rather rough reputation. I'm having trouble thinking of a Z* that doesn't have a fair amount of trouble, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: March 05, 2016, 09:48:07 am »

The Zunists got it right.
Praise the Zun!

Also RIP Zunism, victim of the Abbasids.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: March 05, 2016, 10:53:56 am »

I'm catching up with the thread, still 5 pages behind.  (Zunism is neat though!)
Fakedit:  Crap, didn't mean to type so much O_o  Sorry.

Those are easy commandments to confuse. "Coveting thy neighbor's wife" sounds a lot like adultery. Also that part does specify gender.

Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (NIV)
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (KJV)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
What if you covet thy neighbour's husband? Or the neighbour himself/herself?

Since I shitposted in the past, I would like to point out this is an honest question. (though perhaps I should note that it is my religious duty to occasionally shitpost)
Covered in the KJV:  It's okay as long as you don't covet his butt.
(This is not an honest answer)
The real answer is that that commandment is telling you not to covet your neighbor's property.  Women were property, men weren't, so a woman coveting a man makes no sense.  IE it's "covet" in the "seek to own" sense.

That's why adultery is a separate commandment, which (while vague and long-debated) is probably gender neutral.
It takes a lot of assumptions to decide that god could have made the universe a lot better and that it deserves to die for the choices it's made. Maybe this is the best possible universe, and god is the only thing stopping it from being completely hellish. I sure don't know, so I wouldn't use the state of the universe as justification to kill anything.

If godlike entities revealed themselves, I would want to learn from them. I would try to ask them questions if they're a sentient entity and follow them if necessary. If the universe is run by an impersonal force like karma, I'd try to study it in a more scientific way.
"Best" is pretty relative...  But certain diseases and parasitic creatures make it hard to argue that this is the best universe for humanity.  Maybe if the universe was only created initially, and then passively observed as everything evolved...  In that case things are pretty decent.

But yeah, it'd probably be a lot smarter to be diplomatic with a superior entity.  Assuming the entity is "outside the universe", which basically makes the universe a simulation:  Even if there's a theoretical way to escape, like a program escaping a virtual machine (which is nearly impossible with proper safeties), we probably aren't nearly advanced enough to do so yet.  And we're just as guilty of running unpleasant simulations, so we can't really judge the entity without hypocrisy.

The main concern would be that we may be "ruining the experiment" by becoming aware of our situation.  Or, we could be completing the experiment (with similar results for us, but at least we won?)  Or possibly our universe was meant to develop a new race of unique sophonts, and we will be allowed to interact with the real world.

So either we try to hide what we know until we can escape, or we try to communicate with the Furthest Ring and hope they're benevolent.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: March 05, 2016, 10:55:20 am »

What about Zuul the Gatekeeper?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: March 05, 2016, 11:22:07 am »

http://www.veritablehokum.com/comic/the-norse-god-family-tree/
Also:
http://www.veritablehokum.com/comic/the-egyptian-god-family-tree/
http://www.veritablehokum.com/comic/the-greek-god-family-tree/
I am only a third through the Norse deity descriptions and I'm literally crying with laughter.  I actually loved reading these stories when I was bored at school, but I forgot just how amazing they were.
I mean, that cow thing.

Quote from: Fenrir
Fenrir is a giant fearsome horrible big bad wolf who spends most of his time eating things he shouldn’t. Or he did – the gods eventually managed to trick him into being chained up forever by playing a “game” where they bet him he couldn’t break out of a bunch of chains. I know these are big important myths that had deep significance to a lot of people, but I swear, sometimes I feel like I’m reading about a bunch of third-graders. Anyway. On the third try, they used special unbreakable chains, but Fenrir got suspicious and demanded that someone put their hand in his mouth as collateral. And that’s how Tyr lost his hand.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: March 09, 2016, 11:04:03 am »

I'm reading about Arkeology. It's amusing in a sad way.

http://ncse.com/cej/2/4/arkeology-new-science-support-creation
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: March 09, 2016, 11:12:34 am »

They sure are enthusiastic about not having found their arc.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: March 09, 2016, 11:57:25 am »

They sure are enthusiastic about not having found their ark.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: March 09, 2016, 08:03:02 pm »

On the Z topic, honestly Zoroastrianism's biggest issue is their whole "we don't accept converts" thing, which is basically tantamount to a religion's suicide. Honestly the only thing worse than not accepting converts in terms of helping to keep your religion alive is forbidding members to have children, since so much of people's religious choices is influenced by their parents. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5365 on: March 09, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »

The ultimate elitist religion - no converts and no children.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:34 pm »

I looked up some stuff about Zoroastrianism and I discovered that there are still Zoroastrians! Who knew? They're mainly in India.

This gives me hope for the Shakers, who have managed to pull off the celibacy thing for less than three hundred years. But hey, if Zoroastrianism can last this long, they've got a shot.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: March 09, 2016, 08:28:50 pm »

On the Z topic, honestly Zoroastrianism's biggest issue is their whole "we don't accept converts" thing, which is basically tantamount to a religion's suicide. Honestly the only thing worse than not accepting converts in terms of helping to keep your religion alive is forbidding members to have children, since so much of people's religious choices is influenced by their parents. :P

That and IIRC they encourage incest too...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: March 09, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »

I thought that was only in royalty. There are no Zoroastrian royals anymore.

That and I think, even if they were, they'd just quietly drop that requirement, considering... well, everything about science and genetics. It's one thing to cling to a requirement that goes against science and biology if you've been doing it for hundreds or thousands of years, it's another when you're returning to said requirement after not doing it for said thousands of years.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: March 09, 2016, 11:37:43 pm »

I thought that was only in royalty. There are no Zoroastrian royals anymore.

That and I think, even if they were, they'd just quietly drop that requirement, considering... well, everything about science and genetics. It's one thing to cling to a requirement that goes against science and biology if you've been doing it for hundreds or thousands of years, it's another when you're returning to said requirement after not doing it for said thousands of years.
Fertility rates are highest between third cousins. Risks of inbreeding are also more or less minimized at that relation distance(relative to fertility,  at least). Attraction to people who look like you but not to much like you peaks about there as well.

Mild incest can go for a while. Takes time for the problems to build up.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 521