Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread  (Read 24631 times)

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
  • 200 versions of the same catboy
    • View Profile
Re: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »

My weapon certainly works well in melee and ranged combat. A staff is pretty damn useful in a fight, and if I put a bayonet on it it'll be even better, and an Allin gun fires a shot bigger than the M2 .50 machine gun (same caliber, longer bullet) and reloads pretty fast, so that's me covered for ranged combat.
As for my psyche.... well, as long as I can think of an appropriate song, and have reason to believe that Toby would know how to play it to some degree, I'm covered. The balancer for that also fits with a jack of all trades playstyle, because the limit is how well I know the songs. IRL, if I've heard the song before I can usually play a simple version of it fairly easily, so that's how I'll balance that.
Alright, Swiss Army Knife Toby is ready to go.

The whole music psyche thing is something I've been thinking of for a character ever since I started reading Tamora Pierce books, one of which features a mage who use dances to cast spells, in a world where most of the mages are fairly standard 'I speak words and shit happens' types.
I've always pictured more as a stat booster type thing than an outright offensive weapon, and even the offense spells would be negative status effects generally, rather than actual attacks, so I think our psyches (yours seems to be analogous to a Noise Marine, i.e. sonic pulses of very loud noises that would turn the target into mush, or at least stun them pretty badly) will not so much overlap each other as complement each other.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »

To be honest, I do kinda wish I had no psyche, but I'll play the one I was given.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »

Mine is more programing noise/sound into various buffs/effects. And they do seem to complement each other.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2018, 06:36:16 pm »

Spoiler: Tobias Boone (click to show/hide)
this is the modified one.

Okay, everything looks good! Usually, I would've continued with the story but this time I'll give you time to do up to five progress actions. Regardless of whether  you succeed in those actions or not, they will be considered a flashback in the update.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:43 pm »

How's work on the update coming along?

Also, since the weapon mod is a piece of solid magic, would it even work with a mundane rifle?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:30:03 pm by Devastator »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2018, 11:30:32 am »

I apologize everyone but I'm now working overnight so the update isn't as forthcoming as I'd hoped. Maybe I'll update tomorrow morning or something.
As for the pure magic mod, basically it would behave more like a skill/spell placed on your weapon rather than something similar to a physical mod.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2018, 12:14:05 pm »

There's no hurry, I was just curious.

Hmm.  That's not that useful then, since it's just stats.  I'll probably get rid of it when I can see what we need to accomplish.  11 stat points aren't going to help Lemmy, not when he's 40 points below par, and it won't get better long term.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:45:44 pm by Devastator »

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2018, 10:33:41 am »

FFS once again the B12Forums failed to alert me to responses. *sigh*
Alright at least I sorta planned ahead for this.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2018, 11:06:32 am »

Don't assume success with your orders, and put them in Bold Text.  It helps the GM notice them, and as it's for the GM to determine success or failure, don't say that you did something easily or well.  If you did, the GM might just ignore it and write the actual results.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2018, 11:10:20 am »

Alright.
It'll probably take a while to get the hang of this.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2018, 02:33:54 pm »

A note on the .50 conversion: in real life, it would be somewhat impractical, but since it's a magical weapon, the barrel should be able to handle the pressure of firing a .50 BMG. The hardest part would be widening the barrel, since that requires a certain amount of precision. The breechblock modification would certainly be difficult, but relatively fast to do, and so any failures could be remade fairly fast. I know it's not realistic at all, but that's not the point.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2018, 03:21:06 pm »

It's fine.  It could also be said that it fires smaller caliber ammo that transforms into .50 cal rounds after leaving the barrel, or just hits that hard anyway.  Whichever sort of effect you feel would be coolest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • meat that thinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2018, 03:23:04 pm »

It simply creates a portal to the elemental plane of .50 BMG

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2018, 03:42:45 pm »

For some reason I like the idea that it's basically working off of Ork Theory: I think it works, and I think I know why it works, so if I do the thing that makes it work, then it simply must work.
I know that Toby could, with a little bit of time, modify certain parts with relative ease
I didn't do enough research into the .50-70-450 bullet that a M1866 would fire though, but still, it's not entirely implausible that one could convert an M1866 to fire .50 BMG. Especially with magic.
The bullets are what's going to be magic

Also a little more on the whole melee-ranged thing
When used as a rifle, it looks like your average M1866/Allin gun. It would also have a bayonet, just in case.
When not in use/in use as a quarter staff, the barrel is the bottom, and the stock is the top. It looks to be a smooth wooden staff, with metal bands decorating it, and a metal cap on top. It is not particularily gun like (there is no stock, for example, neither a visible barrel or receiver, etc.) but it can still fire a singular shot, whatever was loaded when it was last in gun form. In both forms it is longer than your standard M1866, 64 inches as opposed to 55 and 15/16ths inches. Bayonet would be a socket style bayonet (the one that looks like a spike) instead of a sword bayonet.

Redjive_Industries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2018, 03:50:04 pm »

Length is for two things: #1 being that a BMG is much longer than a .50-70-450, and the other being that moar length makes the staff moar useful
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13