Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 445987 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2011, 02:44:06 pm »

I'd probably recommend you get a bunch of vasalls instead if possible.
This isn't as good as you make it sound. Incorperating a Vassal when you have tons of them Costs stability. This may not matter when your small, but if your huge, Stability is hard to get.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »

The stability loss is not as bad as the Infamy from annexing them instead of incorporating them if you don't have Reconquest or Holy War. Stability may, at max, take 1-3 years for one level if I had to guess. The Infamy from annexing them will take, if you loose 1 per year, and we subtract the 4+provinces infamy from making them vassals and incorporating, much longer to loose.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

I know about that, but when your awfully huge, I heard it can be really costly to have low stability. And as I have said before, Stability takes longer to regain if your larger. If your running a Gaint Empire, Stability is vital.

Also, to correct those saying that the Teutonic Order is more technologically advanced, keep in mind that Teutonic Order starts with Max Serfdom (Big hits to Research) and +3 Narrowminded (Another hit to Research). They may be in a Better Tech Group, but at the rate they are Teching they may as well be in the Eastern Tech Group.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

You absolutely have to keep Stability above 0 if you're going to do any conquering at all, or the revolt risk gets way out of hand.

Related: how did Munster raise eight thousand rebel troops?! It's a one-province country! The manpower is like 350!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2011, 03:26:50 pm »

I've already played it from 1405, and I have reclaimed all the cores it startes with and all of Africa from Egypt to Algiers, but I wanted to see if it was possible.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »

Related: how did Munster raise eight thousand rebel troops?! It's a one-province country! The manpower is like 350!

The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard.

Edit: Although I have been waiting to do that, I have to say that Country size doesn't matter in Raising Rebels. Province size matters. If they were going to use their own soldiers to raise a rebellion, why the hell don't they just declare war? Besides, when it says "Fund X Rebel Type", it kinda means that your funding the Angry Populance.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:01:11 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »

I'm playing the Tachibana clan in Divine Wind.

I'm at a point where i can annex anyone but the infamy is stopping me from doing so. So now my plan is to vassal them but can i annex them that way? I wanna unify japan before 15th century.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2011, 04:25:09 pm »

I know about that, but when your awfully huge, I heard it can be really costly to have low stability. And as I have said before, Stability takes longer to regain if your larger. If your running a Gaint Empire, Stability is vital.
Larger empire also means more money.

I'm playing Dahan (Chinese nation) in MEIOU, and I can fix my stability very quickly. I own all of Ming china, parts of mongol lands, and parts of Vietnam lands, and a single province of Korea, which leads to stability costs of 2400. However, I can quickly regain it back at ~350 ducats per month.

You absolutely have to keep Stability above 0 if you're going to do any conquering at all, or the revolt risk gets way out of hand.
Yes. That is true.

However, incorporating only costs 1 stability. And you have to wait 10 years in-between incorporations. I honestly doubt it would take 10 years to raise stability unless you're doing something HORRIBLY wrong.

If you're willing to wait, Incorporation is much better than annexation in my opinion. Either way, going over Infamy or down to negative stability, you will suffer a LOT of revolts. For me, stability almost always is the quickest to fix. Infamy sticks around FOREVER.

I'm playing the Tachibana clan in Divine Wind.

I'm at a point where i can annex anyone but the infamy is stopping me from doing so. So now my plan is to vassal them but can i annex them that way? I wanna unify japan before 15th century.
Yes, you can annex them that way. However, you'll have to wait for a while after vassalizing them (can't remember, 10 years?), and you'll ALSO have to wait 10 years between incorporations of different vassals.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:27:05 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »

10 years? Plenty of time to reduce my 25 infamy and land claims seems to pop up from time to time. Cores in their capitals means i can keep harass them till they're bankrupt. What would happen to them if they are bankrupt?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

-3 stability, and basically no morale for their troops AND garrison on bankruptcy.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2011, 04:48:09 pm »

The Ming dynasty is eating the hoard and Manchu. Korea is taking a slice of the pie as well. Also the Golden hoard is kick out of central Asia. is the hoard suppose to be that weak?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »

The Horde always seems to last till the 1500 hundreds in my games... so I would say no. But I think thats not whats suppost to happpen to the Golden Horde...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »

The horde is pretty nasty early game, later it's a piece of pie.

Also, Ming usually collapses after it eats too much of the horde in my games. Prepare for hilarity.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »

Any hints on how best to start Byzantium in 1399?

It is easier, but not crucial, to start a few years later when Ottos are getting thrashed by Timurids.  But what's key is to declare war right at the start on all your greek neighbors at once.  Additionally, you need to declare war on Venice.  All these DOWs need to be on day 1.  Do this so that Venice can't come to war on it's vassals behalf because it's already at war with you.  That way you can wage a war of reconquest against each vassal individually.  Venice takes a little time to build up it's military, so your initial navy can defeat them and allow you to use single regiments in siege against greek minors after you defeated them.

What's tricky is that naples is probably going to declare war on the greek minor to the northwest (I forget the name).  Taking on naples early is probably not worth your time.  I recommend just letting them take it and using the choatic first years in more productive areas, chewing up minors.

With your starting 2-3 territories plus 3-4 greek minors, you should be able to become a medium strength power within a couple years.  And you need to do this in a couple years.  Because before you even sign the annexation treaties with the greek minors, you need to declare war on the turkish minors and start gobbling them up before the Ottomans get their acts together or they consolidate too much.  Wipe out their armies, siege and keep starting wars as fast as you can.

Eventually, after 5 years or so, you should have conquered about 7 Greek and Turkish territories, all at a cost of 0 infamy.  You should have never engaged in a substantial fight up until now.  Then comes the big one, the Ottomans.  They are still going to be bigger then you, so some finesse is important.  Your first inclination is probably to use rebels, but I find that those should wait until later.  If the Ottos are at war with someone else, obviously you just declare war in the confusion and wipe out their armies, but that's not likely.  I find two strategies are best taking them on 1 on 1:

1) Go for the head.  If they attack you in Constantinople across the strait, they are gonna have a bad terrain penalty and you can rout them easily if your numbers are nearly as big as them.  They will retreat across the strait.  Send your fleet out after the retreat starts to interrupt them (then send it immediately back to port to avoid it getting crushed) and they will stop, letting you attack them again.  Once their main army is routed, quickly siege all their balkan possessions and use whatever you can to keep their new army in turkey.  Wait a few years for the war exhaustion to skyrocket.

2) Go for the body.  Often their army is in the balkans.  In that case, they can't get at any part of you except for Constantinople, with it's level 2 fortress.  Send your army to turkey, siege all their territories at once and leave a force just across the strait to dissuade them from assaulting Constantinople.  At the same time, gobble up any turkish minors you missed so you control then entire penisula.  Now, either cross the straits and move your army away from Constantinople to lure them into an assault to take down their morale and crush them or let rebels finish them off.  This is my preferred strategy.

Once that's all done, you can usually take enough territories from them to split them in two and let rebels bring a few more territories into the fold.  Ottos should no longer be a significant power and you can finish them off five years later.  At this point, you look to spread your wings and start rebuilding the empire of Justinian and cast down the "pope" in rome!

Important in all of this is mint as much as you need to but do not collect war taxes.  Your goal is to win a straight decade of uninterupted war.  You do not need to do anything to increase your war exhaustion.  Put all your research into government and get military drill for your first idea.  All in all, pretty challenging, but within a decade, the Roman Empire can once again be the greatest nation on earth.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2011, 05:43:15 pm »

I've managed that, I started in 1405 and I basically did what you described, focus on Greece, then march into Turkey. I can post a map later.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 194