Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 445973 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #855 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:11 am »

I once had a long drawn out war trying to take Judea from the Ottomans, and they accepted peace after I funded a pretender in their capital.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:53 am »

I ended up taking Mr. Person's advice and kept throwing 25 ducat peace deals at Austria, lowering their stability to -3. It's been that way for a year or two, but it hasn't had any apparent adverse effects yet. I'm running rebellion missions on all their provinces every year or two, and Bavaria hopped in against Austria. Of course, Austria now has 90 stacks of units and took out Bavaria.

In other news, 20k ducats and my land is half a century ahead of time. My troops are second only to France's.

I once had a long drawn out war trying to take Judea from the Ottomans, and they accepted peace after I funded a pretender in their capital.
Did the pretender actually take the province? How did the pretender manage to stay alive?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 15, 2011, 03:53:36 am »

Did the pretender actually take the province? How did the pretender manage to stay alive?
The ottomans had been routinely sending 5k stacks by sea to Judea to try to take it back, and it was simply the threat of a 17k army of pretender rebels that made them willing to make peace. The pretender didn't actually succeed, but made them feel they couldn't handle both the war and the pretender. Honestly I feel the peace AI is annoying but usually very reasonable, not wanting to give stuff up just as a player would, especially if a war is relatively distant.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 15, 2011, 04:27:12 am »

I don't think your rebels in Austria is going to have much luck. They're mostly useful far away from their armies, since they won't be nearly large enough to fight a 90k army (that can get to them, and fast). The spies are most likely costing you a lot more to send compared to the damage they inflict on the Austrians.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:42 am »

I ended up taking Mr. Person's advice and kept throwing 25 ducat peace deals at Austria, lowering their stability to -3. It's been that way for a year or two, but it hasn't had any apparent adverse effects yet. I'm running rebellion missions on all their provinces every year or two, and Bavaria hopped in against Austria. Of course, Austria now has 90 stacks of units and took out Bavaria.

In other news, 20k ducats and my land is half a century ahead of time. My troops are second only to France's.

How? Even if you are monopolizing every CoT in the game you shouldn't have that type of income. And how are you supporting that many troops with one province?

I'm guessing that there is some way, but all I can think up is a massive long term disaster.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:53 am »

I dont know if this has anything to do with me using Death and Taxes, but I own monopolies on most of the CoTs in Europe and the Middle East. I make about 25 ducats a month and a bit at the end of the year leaving me with +300/year. Master of Mint 6 along with max Centralization is keeping my inflation at 0.

I don't think your rebels in Austria is going to have much luck. They're mostly useful far away from their armies, since they won't be nearly large enough to fight a 90k army (that can get to them, and fast). The spies are most likely costing you a lot more to send compared to the damage they inflict on the Austrians.
They probably aren't worth it, but I am bathing in gold. Anything to gain that tiny bit of an edge....

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:26 pm »

If their armies literally can't reach you and your armies are quite good, it might be worth it actually attack Austria. If you're THAT far advanced with a troop upgrade over Austria, a good general, good sliders, and maybe good advisers, it's totally possible to beat stacks literally twice your size. Worst case scenario, you lose the stack. With as much money you have to blow, who cares?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 15, 2011, 02:30:34 pm »

Thats true, I could do that, but every 20-30 years in-game I crash. Death and Taxes is really unstable  :-\

I don't really know how far I am ahead of Austria; they may be in a very similar position. I just know that its 50 years ahead of the normal tech for the date. I put my troops on their border (in a neutral country that I had military access to) to see how many troops Austria had, and they pulled up 89,000 troops on their border. Somehow taking no attrition...

Not sure how my (at most) 40k troops are going to combat that. I can't really get a good general either because there is no one else to fight :(

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »

I don't really know how far I am ahead of Austria; they may be in a very similar position.
If you have Divine Wind, click the mapmode that looks like a gear.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 15, 2011, 02:43:50 pm »

Thats true, I could do that, but every 20-30 years in-game I crash. Death and Taxes is really unstable  :-\
At least it's not Steppe Wolf. That thing literally crashes after 1 minute of real time for me (even if paused). That's IF you get past the crashy-crash initial loadings. :P

and they pulled up 89,000 troops on their border. Somehow taking no attrition...
Are you SURE they aren't suffering attrition? They could be suffering it yet replenishing losses faster.

Anyway, man your AI is absolutely madly stubborn!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 15, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »

Thanks Rakonas. It seems I am only 4 land tech levels ahead of Austria; not as much as I had hoped.

Tarran, that might be the case. Here they are, in any case. I had to reload an older autosave because of another crash :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »

Is Austria gaining WE?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:47 pm »

Building an army larger then your limit just costs more. With your income You could probably build a superstack

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

Building an army larger then your limit just costs more. With your income You could probably build a superstack
Wouldn't they start taking attrition? Or could I split them up in different provinces and just converge them right before I send em at austria... That might work.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 15, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »

Do you have a better navy than austria? If so, blockade their adriatic ports. That should add some WE

EDIT: ah, nevermind, just noticed you're ansbach :D
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 194