Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Always tick-infested farm fowl?  (Read 1312 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Always tick-infested farm fowl?
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:09 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that, in Fortress mode at least, that birds like ducks or chickens are ALWAYS infested with fleas and ticks and other vermin following them around at all times? I can understand that happening occasionally, but the fact that every instance of a duck or chicken I come across is this way quickly leads to my butchering them or pasturing them (if they're a pet) in the path of an enemy. I hate the bugs!

Should I perhaps make a bug report regarding this? I thought I'd ask before throwing one up on Mantis.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Always tick-infested farm fowl?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:43 pm »

They're digging them out of the ground to eat.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

ticks and fleas are everywhere, makes sense to me.

edit: what doesn't make sense is why humanoids aren't constantly covered in fleas and ticks too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:12:03 pm by Xyon »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 04:25:37 pm »

Should I perhaps make a bug report regarding this?

It's not a bug; it's a feature: ROOT_AROUND token.

You can disable the bug-spawning by removing that token from the creature raws.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 05:26:17 pm »

It is harmless as far as DF features go though, ticks and fleas can't infest anything just yet AFAIK, so unless you really find it to be an eyesore there's probably not much reason to.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 02:33:19 am »

Also, the pasture zones are generally overrun with vermin, probably because cats never walk there unless assigned to that pasture.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:12:15 pm »

I didn't realize that's what that was. Knowing now what that is makes me feel better about what's going on there. I'll leave it I think, but thanks to all that had info and thoughts to add here. It's interesting that from the mechanics stand point, they have a mobile food source they take around with them, haha.

In fact, if that is their required food source, removing the tag might potentially starve them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:13:54 pm by Walkaboutout »