Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for unholy fogs or any evil fogs  (Read 6654 times)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
Tips for unholy fogs or any evil fogs
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

not sure how i can get my dwarfs to safety when a unholy fog keeps rolling in crippling them and rotting them any tips  :'(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Tips for unholy fogs or any evil fogs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »

If you don't want your dwarves to die from the evil fog, don't embark in an evil biome.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »

The only thing I can suggest is to tunnel into the side of a hill, fast, and don't let them go outside for any reason except under your strict supervision.  I had a fiendish smoke on one map, and it did not go far into a sidehill tunnel.  As it turned out, that smoke only caused nausea but I did not know that when I first arrived.  Putting sharp turns in your entrance will help also, and works for ordinary defense as well.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »

Go down, even just slightly. If you want aboveground gardens, bring the aboveground below ground.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:57:25 am »

Walls! I'm assuming this fog is like mist. I had a similiar case with you where I couldn't cut wood from outside nor keep animals. So I built a giant wall with cover around my entrance so I could keep animals

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:45 am »

Walls! I'm assuming this fog is like mist. I had a similiar case with you where I couldn't cut wood from outside nor keep animals. So I built a giant wall with cover around my entrance so I could keep animals

What are we, elves?  DIG DEEPER.  The caverns are a great source of wood and grazing land.  Even if you don't want to set up shop 50 levels down, dig down and pierce the caverns, then dig out big open spaces in your soil layers.  They will begin to sprout cavern vegetation and trees almost immediately.  You can graze and chop wood underground in complete safety while the fogs, mist and putrescent sludge rain down from the skies outside.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:43 pm »

Walls! I'm assuming this fog is like mist.

It's just eerie glowing mist with the RNG name. A wall 2/3 z lvls high is supposed to work, but I don't trust it if it doesn't have a roof. Want to move Dwarves out of the way? Burrows. Military orders.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:41:58 pm »

Walls! I'm assuming this fog is like mist.

It's just eerie glowing mist with the RNG name. ...

cursed
wicked
evil
creeping
haunting
abominable
devilish
fiendish
heinous
nefarious
profane
vile
accursed
blighted
execrable
infernal
unholy
eerie

dust
soot
fog
gloom
murk
smoke
vapor

People often ask "what's the difference between an unholy fog and a vile gloom or a creeping murk?", and the answer is often "just the randomly-selected name and random effects".

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:37 pm »

People often ask "what's the difference between an unholy fog and a vile gloom or a creeping murk?", and the answer is often "just the randomly-selected name and random effects".

I'd like to know what the difference would be between an unholy fog and a holy one. :)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »

I'd like to know what the difference would be between an unholy fog and a holy one. :)

One is solid, the other is full of holes.