Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"  (Read 11362 times)

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:34:39 am »

Aiming to do something tutorialish on Masterwork DF's kobolds.  Using Imgur album as platform.  Will probably break it into parts.  This is the setup and first season.

http://imgur.com/a/xpABz

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:42:29 am »

Curious. What is the launcher you speak of, pyLNP?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:06:18 am »

Curious. What is the launcher you speak of, pyLNP?

The Masterwork mod launcher:

http://i.imgur.com/1yKrsVS.png[/img]]

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:38:33 am »

I do wish wood floated... the stockade ended up being fireclay clumps since those were as easy as logs.  Fireclay is infinite, trees are only  nearly so.  Soon trees will be only outside the walls, fireclay will be everywhere.  Also, fireclay is fire safe.  May need to start some wildfires at some point.  Burning stockade walls might be less than ideal.

Not sure why bone blocks aren't non-economic firesafe.  Bone grate seems to be.  Had to use glass blocks for the crematorium.  I suspect pottery blocks would work too. (confirmed!)  Ash is a useful block and need to be rid of vermin remains and other trash.  Can use the ash for roads.  Blame the ash.  (It's the ash's fault!)

http://imgur.com/a/mC1hK  (more to come, will be editing this album a while)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:48:34 am by vonsch »

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »

i am enjoying this very much, would love to see more!

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:55:54 pm »

Glad you are!

You will see more in... in 3..2..1

http://imgur.com/a/nGLzP

I am trying to do a year at a time now.  If things get hectic it may shorten.  Or if they get slow...\

Correction: I blame the font (which I do have a hard time reading.)  Right in the glass furnace menu which I checked at least twice is "Make green glass cauldron."  Doh.

On the other hand I believe the anvils are supposed to be a real challenge to get.  The thievery parts are not yet added back in after the update for DF 2014.  Maybe stealing stuff will give bolds a way to get or make anvils.  They used to be able to steal rocks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:31:40 pm by vonsch »

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:31:06 pm »

Glad you are!

You will see more in... in 3..2..1

http://imgur.com/a/nGLzP

I am trying to do a year at a time now.  If things get hectic it may shorten.  Or if they get slow...

awesome! great read :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 03:06:02 am »

I like the 2nd level. Is that wood or fireclay? Either way, colors work out better than vanilla ones.

However, that bedroom design...What dangers can lurk in kobold homes, behind their safe walls?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:02:31 am »

I like the 2nd level. Is that wood or fireclay? Either way, colors work out better than vanilla ones.

However, that bedroom design...What dangers can lurk in kobold homes, behind their safe walls?

It's all fireclay.  Tavern will have all wood furniture though, rather than bone.  Fireclay is heavy to work with.  I keep considering switching to bricks made from fireclay (4:1 ratio, but more labor prepping them.)

I usually do 2x3 or 3x3 citizen rooms with other races, but more packed in, cramped, snug, seemed more thematic for bolds.

As to dangers, we'll see.  Bedrooms SHOULD be fairly safe.  Tavern on the other hand...

All this building keeps things slow. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31:12 am »

I believe all non-mason bricks are 1:1 ratio, though.

If there's no real benefit to see I tend to just pile all beds into a single room, much like a dining hall, perhaps putting few for legendaries near their workshops.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:49:34 am »

I believe all non-mason bricks are 1:1 ratio, though.

If there's no real benefit to see I tend to just pile all beds into a single room, much like a dining hall, perhaps putting few for legendaries near their workshops.

This is the bold clay shaper.  It is 4:1.  But it's a second step to bake them.

Oh, I see I also can make cinder blocks from ash at 4:1.  Have to start doing that to stretch my ash quicker for roads and ground level flooring.

Note: I never did exterminate the carp school, but something did.  Haven't crashed since.  <knocks on wood>
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:54:20 pm by vonsch »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 03:49:37 pm »

The chronicle of 102.

http://imgur.com/a/ybkJl

A lot of building, not a lot of excitement, aside from a couple minor tussles with wildlife and a Pandashi trader.

Opps, the order got scrambled a bit somehow, let me fix that!

Dunno what's up.  It's looks right in me edit tab in Imgur, but clicking the link in forum scrambles the order a little.  The last 3 images should be far up near the start.  Not in my control, it appears.

Last three entries should be the first three.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:47:14 pm by vonsch »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 05:10:41 pm »

Hm, that S-shaped tavern entrance is novel to me.

Chair-table-Chair?

I think tree growth speed might be affected by the season speed alterer. Normally, it takes 3 years for tree to fully grown (less for preexistent shrubs)

Ranged weaponry is good to stun fleeing targets. Lets one to catch up and kill it, otherwise could keep running for months. No idea how good venom is - found a place where I hoped to play with it, but dust turned out to be thralling contact. Mixed feelings on firing that at enemies.

Are vipers better at knife-fighting? You have two legendary weapon experts.

How good are giant scorps in a fight? We'll find out?

I think modern DF has no overflowing migrants outside of king.

That wallside furniture reminds me of a waiting room.

Leather blocks? Weird mental image. I think fireclay and wood are different colors in vanilla...Built a depot out of fireclay, it was dark red. Still, yellow, red, white, grey and gray. Could do a fire.

Blowguns are swords. Can bolds wield short swords?

Oh hey, you have green now! For a time.

I prefer to only store gypsum plaster in hospital bags and everything else remain visible partly because I keep the hospital accesses hatched in case of syndromes, but hospitals can't be multi-z, partly to see if I'm out of something.

Homeland brought no metal weapons or texts? Those can run for a lot.

Wow, kobolds sure have lot of babies. How long to grow up?

Oh I see, wasn't a S.

Hate crashes.

Kobold food....Hm. Interesting restriction. I rarely trust Other, often it isn't edible - flour, fat, eggs...

Artifact bed? That could be useful. No werebeast yet? Invaders could use bait, so they can't escape.

Scales made into leather makes crocodiles, chamelons and alligators  very useful.

Maybe give blowgunners an off-hand machete? First they shoot down, then cut down when out of bolts.

Danger rooms...Tried minecarts for dodging? A good teacher requires less micromanagement, though, and can train kicker/striker. Similar to danger rooms, I recall a mention of using two shields or training spear to skill up fast on harmless wildlife for armor  user.

And yeah, putting some spears in dining areas resulted in baby kebabs.

Same girl kidnapped several times. Ancient idea of love triangle, so very wrong.

Clothing made of leather doesn't improve armor at all. Needs leather armor. But shield goes up faster anyway, since bold chooses to block if they can.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »

Hm, that S-shaped tavern entrance is novel to me.
New to me too!  I try to avoid getting into too much of a design rut.

Chair-table-Chair?
For looks, not function. Mostly bolds stand around anyway.  Especially in a tavern.

I think tree growth speed might be affected by the season speed alterer. Normally, it takes 3 years for tree to fully grown (less for preexistent shrubs)
Probably so.  Once I go back to normal speed, we'll see.

Ranged weaponry is good to stun fleeing targets. Lets one to catch up and kill it, otherwise could keep running for months. No idea how good venom is - found a place where I hoped to play with it, but dust turned out to be thralling contact. Mixed feelings on firing that at enemies.
I think (but not much experience to date) poisons can apply various effects that degrade the poisoned one's combat abilities.  The rattlesnake bite had the poor bold puking everywhere for a while.  I believe that affects combat ability.  Some apply stuns, I think, which also affect defenses.  I want to try having the gate guards behind fortifications pepper attackers with poisoned darts before letting the meleers out.  We'll see how it works out.  Plan B, assuming we survive the attempt, would be something doing more direct damage like bola throwers.

Are vipers better at knife-fighting? You have two legendary weapon experts.
Vipers are better in the sense they get a skill bonus so they learn faster.  And they default to some skill too.  1, I think.

How good are giant scorps in a fight? We'll find out?
Scorps haven't gotten into any scraps so far.  We'll see.  Suspect they are tanks.  Might apply venom too.  Suspect spiders are a lot nastier.  I know they were nasty in legacy Kobold Fort.

I think modern DF has no overflowing migrants outside of king.
I think the overflow is all pregnancies started before the limit kicked in.  We'll see there too.  Triplets and such screw up the calculations, I suspect, too.

That wallside furniture reminds me of a waiting room. 
:D  It was!  Waiting for a tavern!

Leather blocks? Weird mental image. I think fireclay and wood are different colors in vanilla...Built a depot out of fireclay, it was dark red. Still, yellow, red, white, grey and gray. Could do a fire.
Fireclay in the soil is very red.

Blowguns are swords. Can bolds wield short swords?
I thought blowguns acted as clubs.  The seem to bludgeon.  Machetes are short swords.  Not too impress with them so far.  Long daggers are pretty nasty considering.  I remember the kobold thieves lopping off civilian limbs with them regularly.

Oh hey, you have green now! For a time.
Green glass blocks as flooring.  I think that's what you mean.  Tavern floor?

I prefer to only store gypsum plaster in hospital bags and everything else remain visible partly because I keep the hospital accesses hatched in case of syndromes, but hospitals can't be multi-z, partly to see if I'm out of something.
Yeah, I used to just put stockpiles right in there and no containers other than for plaster too.  It even "loses" the buckets as it stands.  The same issue appears to be happening with the tavern and goblet.  Maybe instruments too since I've seen no one use those so far, and there are four different ones in the tavern's chests.  May try putting them on the floor in stockpiles too.

Homeland brought no metal weapons or texts? Those can run for a lot.
Bold caravans are bringing cobalt weapons.  Cobalt isn't very good, though I am using some now.  That crystal glass dagger is much better than cobalt, for example.  Of course, not comparing masterwork to masterwork, but sharpness of cobalt is much less than iron, 45% or something.  Cobalt is better for armor than weapons.  No texts, but some paper sheets from trader.  No use for those right now.  Kobolds are illiterate!  ;D

Wow, kobolds sure have lot of babies. How long to grow up?
3 years?  5 years?  Not sure. 

Oh I see, wasn't a S.

Hate crashes.

Kobold food....Hm. Interesting restriction. I rarely trust Other, often it isn't edible - flour, fat, eggs...
Not enough data yet, but that food issue may have been something going on that resulted in that crash.

Artifact bed? That could be useful. No werebeast yet? Invaders could use bait, so they can't escape.
I have some !fun! turned off and not sure what all Meph has tucked into this not toggleable in launcher  Anything rated as mega or semi-mega should be on though, and those could be weres.

Scales made into leather makes crocodiles, chamelons and alligators  very useful.

Maybe give blowgunners an off-hand machete? First they shoot down, then cut down when out of bolts.
They are only getting into melee because they are out and run out of ammo.  Firing from behind forts with a close ammo supply, they should not need a melee weapon.  That's been my past experience in legacy kobold fort, at least.

Danger rooms...Tried minecarts for dodging? A good teacher requires less micromanagement, though, and can train kicker/striker. Similar to danger rooms, I recall a mention of using two shields or training spear to skill up fast on harmless wildlife for armor  user.
Minecarts are deadly though, even when guided.  In my orc game before this one a trader was standing next to a qpile and somehow got whacked by the minecart.  Died.  Danger rooms as I do them are micro intensive too.  Trainees get locked in and have to monitor their hunger/thirst/health or they end up dead.  Dead babies were not uncommon.  And pets.  Have to control all those.

And yeah, putting some spears in dining areas resulted in baby kebabs.

Same girl kidnapped several times. Ancient idea of love triangle, so very wrong.

Clothing made of leather doesn't improve armor at all. Needs leather armor. But shield goes up faster anyway, since bold chooses to block if they can.
Yeah, for dodge training better to lose shield, but bolds start with 3 dodge so they do dodge even holding a shield, unlike dwarves with no dodge to start.  The improve dodge VERY slowly if they have a shield in hand early on.

Thanks for commenting.  And making me think of things from new angles.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 04:58:08 am »

-Snake venoms are mostly injection via bite only, so useless to apply in vanilla. MWDF might be different, though.

-Oh, green glass. Didn't realize.

- 3 years makes babies not all that unreasonable way to get peasants. Tavern still better, migrants better than both.

-Firing from behind, they should not need a melee weapon, but they'll likely want to run out. Tested giving crossbow, and after that, pick or axe to dwarves; they first shoot the quiver empty, then close to melee to hit mostly with axe or pick.

Besides, outside of flying targets stationary markskobolds generally are less useful than weapon traps. Though, if they are standing there shields are great for return bowgoblin fire.

-I've had stationary minecart injure too for some reason - even when the minecart was removed. But minecart at lowest roller speed is quite safe as long as it is just 1 citizen in - will never injure, even if they go to sleep, and will not hurt children or pets either.

Though multiple citizens in same spot tend to bruise skidding along the ground, and reduce training to like 15% the effectiveness (from 1k to 150 exp per day), making it not worth it.

Watching dwarf can be removed with using pressure plate and minecart set to be guided onto it in a month.

That said, 1 at a time is easier to manage. Considering trying out teaching in next fort, along with embarking with kicking and punching since those seem to be bit deadly and thus hard to train.

- sounds like MWDF kobolds are more dangerous than vanilla ones. Hauling still slows a lot, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4