Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1202184 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4890 on: February 05, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

Bwahaha a huge flock of pigeons flew into my map and lowered my FPS by an impressive amount. A quick visit to the raws and now my map is absolutely covered in pigeon parts. Very satisfying.

edit:However my farmer doesn't seem to want to plant any underground plants, only aboveground plants. Wtf?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »

I've read that severed nerves are completely unhealable.  The game sees them the same as a severed limb -- not just cut but fully removed from the character.
There is a way to make nerves heal, but I'm not sure where in the raw files it is.

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: February 05, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

Is there a way to make trees burnable? It is kinda strange if the whole map burns except the trees....

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:53 pm »

I've read that severed nerves are completely unhealable.  The game sees them the same as a severed limb -- not just cut but fully removed from the character.
There is a way to make nerves heal, but I'm not sure where in the raw files it is.
No. You have to remove HAS_NERVES to stop them from having "severed nerves" from the dwarf file in creature_genesis.txt.

Is there a way to make trees burnable? It is kinda strange if the whole map burns except the trees....
Sadly it's hardcoded, along with indestructible walls.

Does anyone know how to do the following?

assign a graphic to a custom creature through the creatures raw file
You cannot assign graphics through the creatures' raw files. Tile 255 is just a tile for bones+skull image, for the corpse.

You assign graphics in /raw/graphics/ folder.

Damn, i think magma blast furnaces are gliched
Are you sure you have magma buildings activated? Can you build normal magma forges and smelters?

What about combining 1 cobalt, 1 bronze, and 1 silver into a mithril bar?  Or something around those lines?
Nah, I will probably use aluminum as base, because it's quite similar in description (and weight).

What happens if I set the frequency tag of an animal to a value over 100?  Does it glitch?
I've never tried it. Probably it will make even more creatures? I think 100 is "100%" in relation to some "population unit" which is based on total population of units in the world, but I may be wrong.

I like the idea of mithril as a middle ground between steel and addy, however at the same time I wish that at least a couple current metals (cobalt. black steel, and black bronze) could be done away with.
Well, I see your point. I don't see why cobalt should go though, we have copper and iron, and I wanted something in between, plus it makes sense. Red/black steel may be a bit confusing and I can make them optional.

however, what about Jade Dwarves?  Do they learn stuff 250% faster too?
Because they don't seem to.
No, they learn ALL skills at 180% rate, and they have a slower skill decay.

Lastly, about Moss Dwarfs, are they better farmers/plant gatherers/food industry workers than other dwarfs?  If not, then could they be?
Good idea. I thought about specializing castes even more as a next step, so I will start with moss guys as farmers and stone guys as miners/masons/architectors. I think about adding another caste which is immune to drowning and make them expert fishermen. It's not useful per se, but it should save some people when a fortress is flooded.

Steel Dwarfs are like, supposed to be perfect...right?  Or, you know, just really epic as a rule.  However, I had a Steel Dwarf who was clumsy, flimsy, and weak and quick to tire (or something close to that), is there some way to make that impossible?  Because, I feel like it should be.
No, dwarves will always have random traits (from very weak to very strong). But remember that steel dwarves have very high "stat ranges", so a "minimum strength" for a steel dwarf is still higher than "average" for stone dwarf. So even very clumsy and weak are still better than average.

Ice dwarves don't make sense... <...> because that isn't in the DNA.
Yeah, it's okay because we have no DNA. We have fireballs, undead, dragons and spirits, so I am okay with a "magical affinity" being passed through generations ;).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:37:15 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »

I've tried my hand at making the exlosive "creeper" creature that was discussed a few pages back.  If anyone wants to try it out here is the code.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm warning you now that they may need tweaking.  Don't try attacking them with a melee dwarf unless you want that dwarf to die.  Stick to traps and ranged attacks.  If you manage to capture one, you might be able to set up a bomb breeding program to help your defences.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:31 am »

Just wondering Deon, how does this mod work in relation to changes to other tilesets?
As in, Phoebus updated recently but you havn't yet, does that mean you still use the older tileset in your mod?
It's just that I don't think the new tileset can just be pasted on to Genesis because of the creature alterations.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:50 am »

Yeah, I didn't update Phoebus yet. I will look into it for the closest release.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:29:00 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: February 06, 2011, 12:23:48 pm »

Thanks for that, at some stage I'll have to look into how tilesets actually work, unless someone has already made a utility that updates these things.

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: February 06, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »

Could you add slate or adamantine colossusses in for the next release?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4899 on: February 06, 2011, 06:30:04 pm »

Looking at this coin I minted, I learned that the first queen of my civ is described not as a dwarfette but as the mate of a gloom horror. Is this normal DF behavior, Genesis-peculiar behavior, or other? O_o Pretty creepy regardless.

ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

Sounds pretty normal; probably disguised themselves as a religious deity and took over the civ.

Pretty common, I believe.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »

Nah, she was just stolen and transformed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

mastere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: February 06, 2011, 07:50:19 pm »

I have been playing around with making forest spiders shoot things other than web, and so far I have had some progress but only halfway.

First attempt: Forest spider shoots out ganja beer! They come out as frozen beer threads and then melt into a liquid on the ground. Not sure if I can even use the liquid once its on the ground.

[THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][AMBUSHPREDATOR][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen ganja beer]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:ganja beer]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling ganja beer]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:3][DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
      [EDIBLE_RAW]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
   [WEBBER:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DRINK]

Second attempt: Spider shoots modified dragonscale... what comes out seems to be some sort of silk with the description of the dragonscale

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:TOUGHSCALE_TEMPLATE]
         [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:dragonscale]
         [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:dragonscale]
   [WEBBER:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

I was wondering a few things... first of all, what sort of flexibility does LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT have? Can I get spiders to produce metal (such as adamantine) threads? What sort of modifications would I need to make to get spiders to shoot out other objects, such as lava or flames?

Would I be better off trying to modify  a secretion (e.g. [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VEIL:GAS:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN])
or a breath attack? (e.g. [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICEBREATH:COLDBREATH_TEMPLATE])

I appreciate any feedback, as it would be fun to make spiders which produce something useful other than silk, especially if its alcohol or lava.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: February 07, 2011, 05:37:34 am »

I just had the most awesome siege ever--first off the entire fortress was lost but i'm save scumming it do to the fact that it was an oversight on my part.

I had just let loose my hounds of engraving on my epic fractal dining hall/bedroom and my main wheel of industry so my wealth just jumped up by 2m dwarfbucks. I had equipped my entire military of 40 dwarves in finely+ redsteel mail, helms, shields and weapons but i had yet to make full suits. My military was also all well trained in dodging, armor and shield due to my advanced mass training programs. My entrace is a 4z level winding tunnel with cage/stone traps at the top to alert me to ambushes with my 11x11 circle tower right next to it allowing my ranged squad to harass/kill any attackers before moving to the multiple murder slits within the tunnel structure.

I had 2 sieges(2nd, 3nd siege total) with gobbos and nagas, the nagas apparently got slaughtered and ran off before i knew what was going on. The gobbos looked fairly normal except they were riding cavern crawlers which i've never encountered before but i figured they couldent be that bad! I first realized something as amiss was when they kept pathing when i locked my emergency doors(to stop stupid dwarves from reloading the traps and to emergency control hostiles). Seeing as i had to leave to work soon i figured let it play out and i also thought that the low FPS(16) was attributing to their pathing issue. The first siege group stops in my depot hall and begins getting peppered with stone arrows/bolts as my ranged squad paths from my top tower down to the depot stopping at the firing slits. All is well until i get a 'Cavern crawler has destroyed Slate door!' at which point i begin laughing hysterically as i lock my 2nd and 3rd set of emergency doors and activate my entire military and assign all stray war animals to dwarves.

The walkway from the depot into my main area is 2 tiles wide and leads right to my central ramp system which has quick access to my entire fortress and i have 40 dwarves assigned to stand right behind the doors. The main doors took awhile to get destroyed because the 2nd and 3rd set falls like dominoes and the epic fortress wide battle begins! I had a shitload of cave turles for their shells and they often fight better then war dogs so their a great passive fortress defense and the ramp system passes openly through my main 3 meeting areas with like 20 goddamn turtles in each. The main army feels their lack of complete armor and just gets utterly destroyed with a few dwarves falling back and my animals throwing themselves into the fray, apparently less then half my military was actually at the doors so theres armed military dwarves scattered through out my fortress engaging the enemys as they chase the wounded and fleeing dwarves from the hallway. Theres countless tales of heroism as dwarves strike at the invaders before getting cut down by the superior numbers, the ranged squad alone counts for more then half the kills as they pick off the invaders while they fight the animals and recruits but they pay a heavy price. My ranged leader is brained from behind by the goblin hammeress as she finishes killing my 3 war mammoths and my main military leader(even equipped in full sungold/redsteel he gos down fast due to 2 cavern crawlers joining in) but not before he allows 4 recruits to limp off by killing their tormentors.

I had to leave before the battle was finished so i could not get screens but the siege was nearly broken with the remaining extremely injured military cornering and killing off the last of the enemys. I'll upload the map tomorrow after class so everyone can visualize the battle and i just want to show off quickforts fractal designs hehe.

Moral of the story, always build a moat and drawbridge to defend against building destroys and remember what creatures have the building destroyer tag so you can raise it before its to late!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: February 07, 2011, 06:54:43 am »

Yeah, if you want to wall off: do not build doors. They can be picked by lockpickers and building destroyers go through them nicely.

Yeah, BD cause a lot of lag right now due to their passing, but I am not dropping them because I love gobbos bringing siege animals. You can always do it manually by removing BUILDING_DESTROYER animals.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 642